Irna Gondal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
so normally I do know what facts are but still got confused, here's the question :

which TWO of these statements are facts?

1- you have to be daring to go on water rides
2- The coach will stop on the motorway at 8.30 pm
3- you will have a fabulous day out at the park
4- there are toilets and seating areas in the park.
5- It is best to queue for popular rides straightaway.

The fourth one is definitely a fact but I am not sure about the other one

The next thing is
so I had to answer a question by reading a paragraph which was about themes park, the question was "what is the name of the scariest rollercoaster in the world " the answer was written in a box at the side of the paragraph (so I already know its answer)
but I can't understand the question next to it:

which organisational feature helped you to find this name?
(can someone tell what organisational feature is?)
annabel_39
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i think number 4 and 5 are facts but i might be wrong. the reason i think they are is because both 4 and 5 have the words “are” and “is” which are words you’d use for a fact. a fact is something that you can’t argue about, it’s true and it’s not gonna change.

number 2 and 3 have “will” in them which is talking about the future, saying something’s gonna happen but they don’t know for certain. for example, how would they KNOW you’re gonna have a “fabulous day out at the park?” what if it rains, what if your cat died and you were really upset? because it’s about the future and the future isn’t certain, it can’t be fact

as for the question about an organisational feature, i have no idea what it means either sorry!
Irna Gondal
Rep:
?
(Original post by annabel_39)
i think number 4 and 5 are facts but i might be wrong. the reason i think they are is because both 4 and 5 have the words “are” and “is” which are words you’d use for a fact. a fact is something that you can’t argue about, it’s true and it’s not gonna change.

number 2 and 3 have “will” in them which is talking about the future, saying something’s gonna happen but they don’t know for certain. for example, how would they KNOW you’re gonna have a “fabulous day out at the park?” what if it rains, what if your cat died and you were really upset? because it’s about the future and the future isn’t certain, it can’t be fact

as for the question about an organisational feature, i have no idea what it means either sorry!
Thanks for the help, I hope someone answers my second question otherwise I'll go crazy searching it repeatedly on Google which I have already done several times.
aamy12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I don't really understand the second question but I would say that statements 2 and 4 are facts. Statement 2 says that it WILL happen, but statement 5 seems like an opinion to me
GabiAbi84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So a fact is classed something which is known or proved to be correct (ie there is evidence to back it up)

So number 5 is also a fact as it has been proved to be true.
Number 2 has not yet happen so, although the bus might stop at 8:30 on the motorway, it MIGHT not and so therefore there is no evidence to back it up as fact.

Organisational features are visual aspects of texts which indicate its importance within a text to help you find it quickly.
This can include a bold font, headings/subheadings, tables, index pages, etc
Irna Gondal
Rep:
?
(Original post by aamy12)
Hey, I don't really understand the second question but I would say that statements 2 and 4 are facts. Statement 2 says that it WILL happen, but statement 5 seems like an opinion to me
thanks, now I just need to choose between 2 and 5.
Irna Gondal
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
So a fact is classed something which is known or proved to be correct (ie there is evidence to back it up)

So number 5 is also a fact as it has been proved to be true.
Number 2 has not yet happen so, although the bus might stop at 8:30 on the motorway, it MIGHT not and so therefore there is no evidence to back it up as fact.

Organisational features are visual aspects of texts which indicate its importance within a text to help you find it quickly.
This can include a bold font, headings/subheadings, tables, index pages, etc
ok now it makes much more sense thanks, and the answer to the second question must be the main heading right?
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Irna Gondal)
ok now it makes much more sense thanks, and the answer to the second question must be the main heading right?
Without having seen the text in question I don’t know

But if it’s in a box then that is it’s feature
“Display box”
If it’s a subheading for the text about the rollercoaster then it’s feature is “sub-heading”
UGP1023
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would definitely say 2 and 4 are the facts, number 5 is more of an assumption
Irna Gondal
Rep:
?
Without having seen the text in question I don’t know

But if it’s in a box then that is it’s feature
“Display box”
If it’s a subheading for the text about the rollercoaster then it’s feature is “sub-heading”
Name:  image-9d2cff1e-9afc-4654-8322-3988bda9b9dc8137701895988884136-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  37.3 KB
Irna Gondal
Rep:
?
(Original post by UGP1023)
I would definitely say 2 and 4 are the facts, number 5 is more of an assumption
um, I am getting confused.... but still thanks😊
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Name:  image-9d2cff1e-9afc-4654-8322-3988bda9b9dc8137701895988884136-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  37.3 KB
Okay, so what sets it apart from the rest of the text. What makes it easy to find. What visual aid is used to help you find that information...
Irna Gondal
Rep:
?
Okay, so what sets it apart from the rest of the text. What makes it easy to find. What visual aid is used to help you find that information...
The word rollercoaster is being repeated in the text, other than that it could be the rides.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Statements two and four are facts and the organisational feature I think would be the box on the right
Last edited by ROTL94; 4 weeks ago
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The word rollercoaster is being repeated in the text, other than that it could be the rides.
Think more visually-what makes it stand out. It isn’t just in with the bulk of the text.
Organisational features aren’t about the text content (what words are used) it’s about how it is laid out, how it visually appears.
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 4 weeks ago
Irna Gondal
Rep:
?
Think more visually-what makes it stand out. It isn’t just in with the bulk of the text.
Organisational features aren’t about the text content (what words are used) it’s about how it is laid out, how it visually appears.
I can't think of anything apart than roller coasters and theme park...
Last edited by Irna Gondal; 4 weeks ago
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can't think of anything else than roller coasters and theme park...
Organisation features are not about the text so forget about theme parks and rollercoasters.

Just look at the page. What makes that statement different to the rest of the text. Is it a different colour, is it a different font...
Look back at the examples I gave you earlier.
Irna Gondal
Rep:
?
Organisation features are not about the text so forget about theme parks and rollercoasters.

Just look at the page. What makes that statement different to the rest of the text. Is it a different colour, is it a different font...
Look back at the examples I gave you earlier.
um, wouldn't it be better if I just get a direct answer? it's almost 2 am here and my brain is not working...
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
um, wouldn't it be better if I just get a direct answer? it's almost 2 am here and my brain is not working...
To be fair I have already given you the answer-as have others.
I’m sorry you’re studying at 2am.
Irna Gondal
Rep:
?
To be fair I have already given you the answer-as have others.
I’m sorry you’re studying at 2am.
so it's the box?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise