Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, the new Mogwai has leaked and it's, y'know, fantastic. This has really caught me off guard as the steady trickle of new Mogwai material - the Batcat EP, Live at the Off Festival bootleg - hasn't been so great, save maybe the track Devil Rides, but this is really something and this is after just two listens.

Like Mr Beast, it feels as if the band have once again stepped someplace else with their sound which is nothing but a good thing for me. Mr Beast felt... I don't know, different. If I'm honest I often find listening to CODY or Ten Rapid to get somewhat trudging at times, so it was a breath of fresh air to hear Mr Beast. It's hard for me to call it a strange sound as Mogwai tend to be quite strange in general, but all the same, it felt odd. A brilliant odd, mind, and I feel as if The Hawk is Howling has also managed to change that usual Mogwai sound into something a little more exciting to hear.

It still has the gentle-yet-erratic guitar repetitions and soothing, washing soundscapes in the background of the brooding-yet-pounding bass strums so theres no quarrel as to whether or not it isn't Mogwai at heart, but like I said, it still feels as fresh as it should do being an album released by the Scottish veterans. It's a surprise to me because I really expected to not enjoy it seeing that Batcat seems to be the leading track off of the album. Suffice to say, the rest of the album is nothing like Batcat, make of that what you will. I, for one, am glad.

The beginning isn't quite the beautiful calm of Auto-Rock and the ending isn't quite as earth-shatteringly explosive as We're No Here, but overall I feel as if it's a real solid release. I've gone over it twice now and I'm enjoying it more and more. So far, 8/10

I can't review to save my life. This is just my personal opinion on the album, but this thread is really here for the dicussion of the album. It only leaked yesterday evening so it may also be news to some. If anyone is interested in a download link, PM me. I'm not sure how much slack there is towards the aquirance of music on these forums, so whatever.

ReputationRep:
    brilliant. i've been waiting for this.
    i LOVE mogwai and post-rock in general; Mr. Beast is my favourite album of theirs, in fact. glasgow mega-snake is epic, to say the least. friend of the night gives me goosebumps.
    can't wait to download this, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I liked Mr. Beast too, thought it was brilliant, it one of the few ablums where I can listen to the whole album without having to skip a song.
    just downloaded *cough cough* their new one

ReputationRep:
    Mr Beast is probably my favourite Mogwai record. I mean, I do love all of their work, save for an odd few songs that don't do much for me, but Mr Beast was all-round album I could really enjoy without a single problem. It's strange.

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly keen on this after one listen. Maybe I should give it more time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.