Do you find it insensitive? Covid 19 related

Watch
Aloveraa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When people make jokes about covid 19 when thousand have lost their lives because of it.
Aloveraa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aloveraa)
When people make jokes about covid 19 when thousand have lost their lives because of it.
E.g " are you covid 19 because you've taken my breath away" :-/
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not really, old age kills billions and that's not a taboo. You've either got a dark sense of humour or you don't.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I like dark humour so no. Most things that kill people are joked about.
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. Most people who make these jokes have been effected by Covid as well, so Im dont consider it 'insensitive'.

Plus, thats a pretty good one as far as pickup lines go :lol:
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol, no.

Thousands of people die of all sorts every year, people need to confront it properly.
leopard202
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All jokes about suffering and tragedy are ‘insensitive’

In fact, every joke is insensitive about something. It is not sensitive to the seriousness or sometimes reality of the thing.

That’s the point of humour to begin with
Aloveraa
Rep:
?
I know people die of old age and all sorts of diseases but the impact covid has had on the NHS, on everyone's lives and the fact we're still in the peak of it.
I suppose it does do no harm.
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no, and people joke about a lot worse things with even higher death counts. A lot of people do it to laugh off what is happening, It's a good way to not get too sad about these sort of things. I've saw someone with cancer, make jokes about cancer because it's there way of dealing with it more and even had friends who joked about his cancer and how close to death he could've been. He's totally fine with it since it makes people and himself happy. People tend to joke about these things as a coping mechanism. (Or just dark humour)
oliviamkc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say it isn't insensitive on the whole.
Is it in poor taste if you made a covid19 joke to someone who lost friends/family recently yes? Similar, if you made a 'your mum' joke after someone's mum has died - insensitive perhaps.
However, in general, dark humour is lots of people's favourite types.
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
British humour is Able to make fun of anything without being insensitive. Fawlty towers - don’t mention the war!
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Laurence010401)
British humour is Able to make fun of anything without being insensitive. Fawlty towers - don’t mention the war!
"When you said prawn, I thought you said war."

"Hors d'oeuvres which must be obeyed at all times without question."

Sorry, sorry, don't mention the war!
Last edited by Bio 7; 1 month ago
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bio 7)

I’ll have a prawn goebbels and a colditz salad
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
British humour used to be Able to make fun of anything without being insensitive. Fawlty towers - don’t mention the war!
Sadly I've fixed that for you.😟
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bio 7)

“I would like to welcome you all, you wall, you war, and hope you stay will be an enjoyable one”.

“Don’t touch me, I don’t know where you’ve been”.

”BASIL!!!”.

Top notch TV right there 👍
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anne Frank and the people at the time made jokes about the Nazis. Its a way to control something in your mind so that it doesn’t overwhelm you.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably insensitive, as we often have no idea who has had a relative or friend who has died of the disease.

The sickest thing of all has been the mass killer by inaction, Mr Johnson. People who supported him because they thought his persona amusing indirectly contributed to this inaction.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Probably insensitive, as we often have no idea who has had a relative or friend who has died of the disease.

The sickest thing of all has been the mass killer by inaction, Mr Johnson. People who supported him because they thought his persona amusing indirectly contributed to this inaction.
Bingo, i'm, more concerned about the insensitivity of Boris Johnston and chums for willingly and knowingly putting the country through this when it could have been avoided if he'd just shut up about Brexit and came to work more than 1 day a week.

I lost my mum bang on a month ago, i'm not angry about breath jokes, i'm angry at Tories.
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 month ago
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
depends really on what sort of sense of humour you have. i've got pretty dark humour so tbh i find it pretty funny.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of people's way to cope with tough situations is humour. It's where the "if I don't laugh I'll cry" phrase comes from. It's all context based though, if someone's lost someone or been badly affected by covid they may not be too up for the jokes. Similarly some people just don't have that sense of humour. If you make the joke and someone tells you they don't like it, just dont make the jokes around them again. If you're going out of your way to make the jokes around someone who has asked you not to then yeah it's insensitive. Otherwise, I'd say not! My friend in Leicester wants us to make jokes about her lockdown because it makes the crappy situation that bit better for a few minutes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (5)
16.67%
Better than expected (7)
23.33%
Worse than expected (18)
60%

Watched Threads