The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

All Lives Matter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
I agree with the whole BLM movement and I support it, but I feel as if ALM should be a thing to. Black people aren't the only race that are subject to discrimination. What about Asians and Arabs etc? It's just a thought so feel free to share your opinion (:

They class asians and arabs as black. It's basically an anti-white movement. The Irish have probably experienced more discrimination and abuse at the hands of the British in recent times than black people. I have had British soldiers shove guns in my face many times, first time was when I was 6 and in my back garden. How many black people in the UK have had daily dealings with armed British soldiers? I have been stopped many times by the police, twice just out jogging and four times under section 44 of the prevention of terrorism act. But the blacks have cornered the market on playing the victim, so my voice is ignored. In many circles I'm part of the problem because I'm a white male.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Mojmeer
This comic should include a window where the owner of the burning house sets his house on fire :biggrin:

The original comic is alright.
It gets to the point and triggers others for misunderstanding :biggrin:
Original post by chloenix
African-Americans disproportionately face in America, more than white people, asian people

i think this is true in terms of institutionally and in police brutality, but certainly not individually. i'd argue that in the uk, asian people face more racism than black people. it's not a competition - i recognize that, however anyone who isn't white in general is expected to face some kind of oppression for their skin colour.
Original post by SR71BB
They class asians and arabs as black. It's basically an anti-white movement. The Irish have probably experienced more discrimination and abuse at the hands of the British in recent times than black people. I have had British soldiers shove guns in my face many times, first time was when I was 6 and in my back garden. How many black people in the UK have had daily dealings with armed British soldiers? I have been stopped many times by the police, twice just out jogging and four times under section 44 of the prevention of terrorism act. But the blacks have cornered the market on victimisation, so my voice is ignored. In many circles I'm part of the problem because I'm a white male.

Here comes the strawmen.
Anti white movement that frequently associates with white people? How does that work?
If you wanted to protest, why not make your own?
Why is it only a problem when black people do it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 18FF930U3I
You know not everything is about learning at school, it is possible to learn outside of school and she may well know more than you. But I fail to see what relevance it has to this discussion. Anyway I am beyond school.
We don't live in America. In the UK the main danger to black lives are other black people *and I believe that's also the case in America

School teaches a person a lot of things. Education helps us to understand concepts using unbiased information and develop our own opinions. I have studied American history, especially African-American history, in great depth. The BLM movement is not just an isolated thing, it stems from centuries upon centuries of oppression and it's a very complicated concept to understand! I agree that not all knowledge comes from school, but you have clearly failed to educate yourself alone.

And you are right that the highest cause of homicides to black people are other black people. This is awful and we should also work to solve this issue. But it doesn't dismiss the fact that white cops kill black cops disproportionately (Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-06/race-and-police-shootings-what-new-research-says). Both of these issues are something we should work to solve. The presence of one doesn't diminish the presence of the other.
Reply 85
Original post by TheStarboy
Here comes the strawmen.
Anti white movement that frequently associates with white people? How does that work?
If you wanted to protest, why not make your own?
Why is it only a problem when black people do it?

Work harder, do better. You are only a victim of your weak mind.
Original post by SR71BB
They class asians and arabs as black. It's basically an anti-white movement. The Irish have probably experienced more discrimination and abuse at the hands of the British in recent times than black people. I have had British soldiers shove guns in my face many times, first time was when I was 6 and in my back garden. How many black people in the UK have had daily dealings with armed British soldiers? I have been stopped many times by the police, twice just out jogging and four times under section 44 of the prevention of terrorism act. But the blacks have cornered the market on playing the victim, so my voice is ignored. In many circles I'm part of the problem because I'm a white male.

were you stopped due to the colour of your skin? no? then you’re missing the point.

BLM is about Black people being denied basic human rights and how they are likely to get stopped and searched because of their race.
Original post by yzanne
i think this is true in terms of institutionally and in police brutality, but certainly not individually. i'd argue that in the uk, asian people face more racism than black people. it's not a competition - i recognize that, however anyone who isn't white in general is expected to face some kind of oppression for their skin colour.

I don't think there's any way to 'measure' racism, but you can have that opinion. However, we are not talking about the UK, the BLM movement originated in America, where it has been proven that African Americans face more oppression than any other ethnic group, something that stems way back to the age of slavery.
Also, BLM doesn't just focus on black lives. Campaigners attempt to tackle all forms of racism, against every group.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by yzanne

To the vast majority of race/racist activists it is a competition. Who is the biggest victim, who should cash out on this the most...
I would also like to recommend the book 'The Hate U Give' to anyone who is quite young and wants to learn more about the BLM movement. It's an easy read and it's the book I read when I was 13 and allowed me to understand the whole idea of BLM, which I didn't before :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by birights
were you stopped due to the colour of your skin? no? then you’re missing the point.

BLM is about Black people being denied basic human rights and how they are likely to get stopped and searched because of their race.

I was stopped because of my ethnicity. The stop and searches happen because of my accent and the area I'm from. They disproportionately happen in my area because we are Irish. Same as blacks claim what happens in their areas. But I understand why it happens to me. The people in my area ARE more likely to be terrorists and criminals. The black people should understand that too. They are more likely to be criminals.
Original post by AnonyWally
It’s like unless you’re black you should shut up and hide in a corner

kind of agree. i think this has all been blown out of proportion. i get it that black lives havent mattered as much as white lives in the past, but we are at the point where we can all sit in a room with each other and have a chat, and now we are all finding a way to start sh1t again.
Original post by hd41186
i only said it was my view. its not like i walk round the street with a machete

It’s not just a view. You’re being harmful when you tell people to just forget about skin colour. Why would we forget the amount of racism that black people have endured. We should acknowledge our history, yes we should move on but we need to learn something from it. And you also can’t dismiss ignorance as just a view. Watch a video on why ALM is wrong

And I don’t understand where a machete came into this conversation? I was in no way implying that you were a violent person.
Original post by chloenix
we are not talking about the UK, the BLM movement originated in America, where it has been proven that African Americans face more oppression than any other ethnic group, something that stems way back to the age of slavery.
Also, BLM doesn't just focus on black lives. Campaigners attempt to tackle all forms of racism, against every group.

I'd actually beg to differ. BLM has spread so far and wide and protests in the UK and in different countries are now protesting against the systemic racism that occurs in the UK - and the phrase 'the UK isn't innocent' is circulating around. :yep:

I also think that by definition, BLM focuses on primarily black lives - because that's the literal title. I haven't seen much from the movement about other ethnic groups as far as I've seen in my research.

Original post by Mojmeer
To the vast majority of race/racist activists it is a competition. Who is the biggest victim, who should cash out on this the most...

interesting viewpoint :yep:
Why do British people feel so incentive to follow the trends of America. Over here ethnic minorities are given a fighting chance to thrive with contextual offers/grants/bursaries etc. BLM is a political organisation created to protect afro-americans not the british people. rather than an actual statement of equality there's just a herd mentality being displayed through BLM chants when far worse countries such as yemen and syria are barely even surviving :colonhash:
Reply 95
Original post by astayuno
Why do British people feel so incentive to follow the trends of America. Over here ethnic minorities are given a fighting chance to thrive with contextual offers/grants/bursaries etc. BLM is a political organisation created to protect afro-americans not the british people. rather than an actual statement people of quality there's just a herd mentality being displayed through BLM chants when far worse countries such as yemen and syria are barely even surviving :colonhash:

UK culture is gone. They now identify with US TV and music.
Original post by hd41186
kind of agree. i think this has all been blown out of proportion. i get it that black lives havent mattered as much as white lives in the past, but we are at the point where we can all sit in a room with each other and have a chat, and now we are all finding a way to start sh1t again.

Being ignorant to racism does not mean it does not exist.
can i just say- i am in no way downgrading the importance of blm, all im saying is that asian,arab, eastern european lives matter too
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
can i just say- i am in no way downgrading the importance of blm, all im saying is that asian,arab, eastern european lives matter too

ALM does that though.
Original post by 1joeylee
It’s not just a view. You’re being harmful when you tell people to just forget about skin colour. Why would we forget the amount of racism that black people have endured. We should acknowledge our history, yes we should move on but we need to learn something from it. And you also can’t dismiss ignorance as just a view. Watch a video on why ALM is wrong

And I don’t understand where a machete came into this conversation? I was in no way implying that you were a violent person.

look, im just saying, that we want everyone to be equal. but black lives matter still implys skin colour and diversity. if the protest was about equality, why are we still basng it off skin colour. if that makes more sense? sorry if i sounded rude or anything b4

Latest

Trending

Trending