The Student Room Group

Further maths modules! Please help!

Hello, I am having some difficulty picking further maths modules. I want to pursue theoretical physics at university. I know that mechanics and pure modules probably seem to be the best options, but they are said to more difficult than statistics and decision.
I really want to know if grade boundaries are joint between them, as in - let's say Decision 1 and pure 1 are on the same paper, will the grade boundaries be the same, and therefore people taking the further pure module are at an unfair disadvantage?
So, what are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Original post by Destinex
Hello, I am having some difficulty picking further maths modules. I want to pursue theoretical physics at university. I know that mechanics and pure modules probably seem to be the best options, but they are said to more difficult than statistics and decision.
I really want to know if grade boundaries are joint between them, as in - let's say Decision 1 and pure 1 are on the same paper, will the grade boundaries be the same, and therefore people taking the further pure module are at an unfair disadvantage?
So, what are your thoughts?

Which A level are you taking?
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/A-level/gce-subject-grade-boundaries.pdf
look at page 8

decision is the easiest imo and well worth doing if it will get you a higher grade.
the spec has every possible combination of papers so you wont be disadvantaged.
Original post by Gent2324
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/A-level/gce-subject-grade-boundaries.pdf
look at page 8

decision is the easiest imo and well worth doing if it will get you a higher grade.

We don't which board or even whether the poster is taking a linear A level - hence my question.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Which A level are you taking?

I am doing Maths, Further maths, physics and chemistry. I have completed the maths course this year (year 12). And i will be starting FM in y13 :smile:
I am doing Maths, Further maths, physics and chemistry. I have completed the maths course this year (year 12). And i will be starting FM in y13 :smile:

Is this Edexcel linear spec?
Reply 7
look at page 8

@Gent2324 Thank you so much for the reply. Even though Decision may be the easiest, surely it will have the highest grade boundaries? Also, I love the maths in mech, but it scares me how each paper varies...
We don't which board or even whether the poster is taking a linear A level - hence my question.

decision = Edexcel
Reply 9
Is this Edexcel linear spec?

Yes its Edexcel.
@Muttley79 I very much appreciate this
decision = Edexcel

The modules still exist in other non-linear A levels :smile:
@Gent2324 Thank you so much for the reply. Even though Decision may be the easiest, surely it will have the highest grade boundaries? Also, I love the maths in mech, but it scares me how each paper varies...

no it doesn't , look at the link I sent you , it has all the grade boundaries for all the papers
Reply 12
Yeah guys I am just confused which modules to take.
Mechanics is probably best suited for physics, but questions can be so varied and surprising, i might underperform in the exams.
Decision and statistics are probably the least useful but the easiest.
Pure looks impossible, but very useful as well.
The modules still exist in other non-linear A levels :smile:

not called decision , they are called discrete or modelling with algorithms
Yes its Edexcel.
@Muttley79 I very much appreciate this

You can't judge difficulty from grade boundaries so please don't be misled by them. I love teaching mechanics and I would take these papers [I try to avoid the word 'module' as it can confuse withe other non-linear options] as they are the best fit for your degree.

I do like Decision too and was sad to see it disappear from A level Maths :frown:
not called decision , they are called discrete or modelling with algorithms

Not in the IAL, I believe.
Reply 16
You can't judge difficulty from grade boundaries so please don't be misled by them. I love teaching mechanics and I would take these papers [I try to avoid the word 'module' as it can confuse withe other non-linear options] as they are the best fit for your degree.

I do like Decision too and was sad to see it disappear from A level Maths :frown:

I understand, maybe i'll do further mechanics 1 to reinforce physics - plus my school is teaching further mechanics 1 and further statistics 1. Then, it's a choice between FM2, FP1,D1,FS1, FM2.... Really, i could self-study the pure or decision modules. I will check the grade boundaries though. Would you say statistics is difficult?
I understand, maybe i'll do further mechanics 1 to reinforce physics - plus my school is teaching further mechanics 1 and further statistics 1. Then, it's a choice between FM2, FP1,D1,FS1, FM2.... Really, i could self-study the pure or decision modules. I will check the grade boundaries though. Would you say statistics is difficult?

It's all relative - I'm not a big stats fan and colleagues prefer teaching that so I let them! Have you found the excellent Dr Frost maths website? https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

I'd go with the pure and mechanics - why don't you have a look over the summer. Maybe start a thread on here and we can support you as well as school?
Reply 18
It's all relative - I'm not a big stats fan and colleagues prefer teaching that so I let them! Have you found the excellent Dr Frost maths website? https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

I'd go with the pure and mechanics - why don't you have a look over the summer. Maybe start a thread on here and we can support you as well as school?

Thank you so much for all your help. It will definitely be a contest between FM2, FP1, FS1, D1 - I'll do some research
Thank you so much for all your help. It will definitely be a contest between FM2, FP1, FS1, D1 - I'll do some research

I would also look at the Examiner's reports as they give you a good idea of how students found the papers and the sort of mistakes.
An issue with decision can be showing sufficient working and, if you go wrong, how well you can pick up method marks.

Quick Reply

Latest