The Student Room Group

Are Economics and Business Studies considered different subjects by universities?

Going into first year of A-Levels in September, and was planning to do Art, English Lit, Business Studies and Economics (CCEA board). I'm also doing a History of Art A-Level outside of school.
However, have recently been told by some parents of friends/relatives that some universities don't count Economics and Business Studies as different subjects because of how similar they are, so you'd only get UCAS points for one? I read something similar on a forum here, but that was eight years ago so I'm wondering if it's actually true or still applies. Would I get UCAS points for both? Would I be better swapping it out?
I'm fine with swapping it out - I want to do an Art degree anyway - but would rather know now than later.
Original post by EDEM0978
Going into first year of A-Levels in September, and was planning to do Art, English Lit, Business Studies and Economics (CCEA board). I'm also doing a History of Art A-Level outside of school.
However, have recently been told by some parents of friends/relatives that some universities don't count Economics and Business Studies as different subjects because of how similar they are, so you'd only get UCAS points for one? I read something similar on a forum here, but that was eight years ago so I'm wondering if it's actually true or still applies. Would I get UCAS points for both? Would I be better swapping it out?
I'm fine with swapping it out - I want to do an Art degree anyway - but would rather know now than later.

Many universities count Economics and Business Studies as one subject. Do either not both. There were students on here who had been rejected for this reason this year.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Many universities count Economics and Business Studies as one subject. Do either not both. There were students on here who had been rejected for this reason this year.

Thank you! I'll look into swapping it with Politics or something else.
Hey do u know whether native language als will be accept by med school this year ,as I didn’t see any exclude on their entry requirement ,did not exclude on my offer , and it is definitely not considered as an advantage for me as I didn’t take the test.
Original post by Sweet Heart bab
Hey do u know whether native language als will be accept by med school this year ,as I didn’t see any exclude on their entry requirement ,did not exclude on my offer , and it is definitely not considered as an advantage for me as I didn’t take the test.

You need to check with the universities you are thinking at attending or check through their prospectuses
As you’re doing Art , English Lit and Business and Economics you will be fine getting into uni and getting into top unis like Cambridge, Oxford, Durham. Your even doing history of art outside of school/college so that’s going to bump your UCAS points up no end. :smile: 👍🏻I think someone’s mentioned it before but it’s probably worth looking at your chosen unis prospectus. They won’t just count UCAS points for one subject (either Economics/Business) but some competitive unis might hold having two similar subjects against you. HOWEVER, as you’ll have 5 A Levels in total this really doesn’t matter as you’ll have a whole 2 A Levels more than the rest of your peers :smile: I’d suggest keeping Economics and business, as this will cut your work load down as the courses overlap, and besides, you’ll get UCAS points for both subjects :smile: Lmk how it goes!
Reply 6

Thats a lot of A levels. Its generally better to stick at 3 as universities (and some employers) only look at your best 3 grades. Better universities don't consider UCAS points at all. AAA is way better than ABBBB for most purposes.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Thats a lot of A levels. Its generally better to stick at 3 as universities (and some employers) only look at your best 3 grades. Better universities don't consider UCAS points at all. AAA is way better than ABBBB for most purposes.

Oh, totally, and I wouldn't have done five A-Levels if it wasn't for the current circumstances. I started History of Art in March after my GCSEs were cancelled, and because of the free time I've had, I'm already very far into the course (3/4), and plan to sit it a year early, alongside my other AS Levels. By the time I start the others in Sept, I will have mostly covered the course and will only need to revise it in the month or two leading up to the exam. So it's not as much of a workload as it initially seems!
It's common to do four A-Levels in my school, and considering the History of Art situation, I don't think there'll be any EXTREME difficulties with it. But yeah, if it wasn't for the current situation, I would certainly not be doing the five, I agree that it's typically too many!
Reply 8
Original post by CatiCollector
As you’re doing Art , English Lit and Business and Economics you will be fine getting into uni and getting into top unis like Cambridge, Oxford, Durham. Your even doing history of art outside of school/college so that’s going to bump your UCAS points up no end. :smile: 👍🏻I think someone’s mentioned it before but it’s probably worth looking at your chosen unis prospectus. They won’t just count UCAS points for one subject (either Economics/Business) but some competitive unis might hold having two similar subjects against you. HOWEVER, as you’ll have 5 A Levels in total this really doesn’t matter as you’ll have a whole 2 A Levels more than the rest of your peers :smile: I’d suggest keeping Economics and business, as this will cut your work load down as the courses overlap, and besides, you’ll get UCAS points for both subjects :smile: Lmk how it goes!

Thanks, and I'll keep that in mind! I checked the prospectuses, and although it didn't mention anything about the two subjects being considered as one, I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to take the risk, especially if comp. unis could hold it against me in the worst circumstance.
I have been thinking about switching it out for Chemistry (I didn't do Business at GCSE and Chemistry was my second strongest after Art), which would work in my favour as it's very different from my other subjects - so thank you for your advice!
Thanks, and I'll keep that in mind! I checked the prospectuses, and although it didn't mention anything about the two subjects being considered as one, I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to take the risk, especially if comp. unis could hold it against me in the worst circumstance.
I have been thinking about switching it out for Chemistry (I didn't do Business at GCSE and Chemistry was my second strongest after Art), which would work in my favour as it's very different from my other subjects - so thank you for your advice!

Not many unis consider the subjects to be too closely related but an example of one that does is LSE. Any uni that has a problem with it will say so on their website - this is LSEs statement about it "Students offering a narrow range of subjects may be at a disadvantage compared to those offering a broader combination. Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies and one other or English Language, English Literature and one other".

As long as you're not planning to apply to one of the most competitive unis however, you would be ok with Economics and Business
I have been thinking about switching it out for Chemistry (I didn't do Business at GCSE and Chemistry was my second strongest after Art), which would work in my favour as it's very different from my othery subjects - so thank you for your advice!

Yeah that’s true - but you’re doing 5 A Level! A whole 2 more than your peers! It would help doing 2 similar as business and economics overlap courses. Also, you mentioned you didn’t do business at gcse... not all secondary schools do business gcse so you’d be fine. And besides, business isn’t difficult to pick up, you’d be fine honestly. I’d say stick with business as it would help your other subjects but it’s all down to your preference! It would be nice hearing what you chose to do in the end!

They’re counted as 2 different subjects however there is a lot do overlap so it’s best to do 1 especially if you want to apply to unis like imperial etc as they won’t like it . You can do both but realistically there is no point
Reply 12
Original post by CatiCollector
Yeah that’s true - but you’re doing 5 A Level! A whole 2 more than your peers! It would help doing 2 similar as business and economics overlap courses. Also, you mentioned you didn’t do business at gcse... not all secondary schools do business gcse so you’d be fine. And besides, business isn’t difficult to pick up, you’d be fine honestly. I’d say stick with business as it would help your other subjects but it’s all down to your preference! It would be nice hearing what you chose to do in the end!

Hi!
Wow, thank you for your response. I did end up choosing to do Chemistry, and am glad I did. It gives me a break from all the essay based subjects and art, and lets my mind do SOMETHING logical for a little while!

I am really loving Economics, so I think I would have liked Business too. But I do think having Chemistry is more advantageous, especially in the COVID circumstances - considering work experience is hard to get, and my workload has been reduced by quite a lot due to new Northern Ireland exam rules, the extra workload of Chemistry doesn't seem much at all; and it'll look impressive with my other A-Levels during UCAS applications.

I might try and take Business up next year, and complete it in one year, or in a few years from now - try and finish with six A-Levels!!!
Hi!
Wow, thank you for your response. I did end up choosing to do Chemistry, and am glad I did. It gives me a break from all the essay based subjects and art, and lets my mind do SOMETHING logical for a little while!

I am really loving Economics, so I think I would have liked Business too. But I do think having Chemistry is more advantageous, especially in the COVID circumstances - considering work experience is hard to get, and my workload has been reduced by quite a lot due to new Northern Ireland exam rules, the extra workload of Chemistry doesn't seem much at all; and it'll look impressive with my other A-Levels during UCAS applications.

I might try and take Business up next year, and complete it in one year, or in a few years from now - try and finish with six A-Levels!!!

Omg!!! I’m so pleased to hear you are enjoying chemistry :smile: and yes that is so true about work experience! But we’re all in the same boat with Covid anyway sooo. And yeah there’s always the option to take business this September. I know at my college we do a 1 year business A Level course. Impressive!!!! I’m so happy everything has turned out okay for you in the end :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending