kaliazdravkovic
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello! So soon I will be going into year 11, and my teachers have said to start thinking about sixth form opportunities. My goal is to get into university to do a Primary Education degree, and I was thinking of doing an A-Level in Sociology, another A-Level in English Lit/Lang and a BTEC in health and social care because I’ve heard it’s really good to do if you’re trying to get into primary education! So I’m just wondering if that is possible to do and also how does it work if it is possible? Does that mean I have to be doing my two A-Levels at a sixth from and my BTEC elsewhere? Or can I do it all in the same school?

Also my GCSE options aren’t what I want to do for Sixth Form. I do Business and Textiles GCSE, but as stated above, I want to do Sociology. Do I have to have a Sociology GCSE to do a Sociology A-Level or can I just do it anyways? Thanks!!
Advertisement
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You might have to go to a college rather than a school as some schools dont offer BTEC but loads do 2 A levels and a BTEC. Most students taking sociology havent taken it as a GCSE.
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by kaliazdravkovic)
Hello! So soon I will be going into year 11, and my teachers have said to start thinking about sixth form opportunities. My goal is to get into university to do a Primary Education degree, and I was thinking of doing an A-Level in Sociology, another A-Level in English Lit/Lang and a BTEC in health and social care because I’ve heard it’s really good to do if you’re trying to get into primary education! So I’m just wondering if that is possible to do and also how does it work if it is possible? Does that mean I have to be doing my two A-Levels at a sixth from and my BTEC elsewhere? Or can I do it all in the same school?

Also my GCSE options aren’t what I want to do for Sixth Form. I do Business and Textiles GCSE, but as stated above, I want to do Sociology. Do I have to have a Sociology GCSE to do a Sociology A-Level or can I just do it anyways? Thanks!!
Many school Sixth Forms (as well as FE colleges) allow you to do a combination of A-levels and BTECs --- it's a perfectly normal thing to do. Look at the list of Level-3 options available at your Sixth Form.

No, you don't need Sociology GCSE to embark on the A-level in Sociology.

Remember to start a degree leading to QTS in Primary Education you need to check the GCSE prerequisites.
Advertisement
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As has been said, plenty of sixth forms allow you to do a mix of A levels and BTECs. It's very hard to study subjects at more than one place as the timetables never match up so I'd strongly advise against that. There are no required A levels/BTECs for Primary Ed and I'd advise you to pick what you think you'll enjoy and will work at a single sixth form. As long as you have GCSE Maths, English Language and a Science then you can pick pretty much anything at sixth form although a Maths or a modern language would make you stand out when it comes to job interviews.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads