The Student Room Group

Business

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 🧡Hajera
Yh tho I’m not 100% sure which one I’ll enjoy more 😭
Okay how much of the course would U say the marketing section in business alevel is?

Yh I’ve seen that website and I’ve added a list to my favourites that I’m gonna apply for today/tommorow

Thanks for all the advice :smile:

So I do the Edexcel exam board and there are 4 themes (you might already know this so apologises if you do).

Theme 1: Marketing and people- obviously has some marketing stuff in it and then it finishes with entrepreneurs.
Theme 2: Managing business activities- this includes stuff like ways of raising finance so not anything to do with marketing. I personally found this slightly boring but oh well.
Theme 3: Business decisions and strategy- kind of what it says on the tin
Theme 4: Global business- this has global markets and global marketing in it so back to the marketing idea

When you actually come to sit your exams there are 3 papers. Paper 1 is theme 1 and 4 (this is 35% of your grade). Paper 2 is theme 2 and 3 (35%). Paper 3 is all the themes so you could be asked questions relevant to any theme (30%)

The whole course is synoptic. Discussing marketing and branding is relevant to most questions I have ever done to some extent. You mostly learn in the marketing section about the importance and a couple of ways of marketing and how to build a brand rep and then you just apply that knowledge to specific examples that you are given and sometimes you are asked to give recommendations.

I hope that gives you a bit of an idea of how much marketing is in there. Theme 3, is the theme that crosses over a bit with economics so that might appeal a bit to you. Some of it I won't lie is a bit dull but I am glad that I chose this subject i think because it has given me a bit more of an insight into corporations and what it takes to run a business. It has also been quite an easy A level for me (once you learn the exam technique) and is a bit lighter than my other subjects which has been helpful in getting the grades I need for uni.
Original post by something_orphic
So I do the Edexcel exam board and there are 4 themes (you might already know this so apologises if you do).

Theme 1: Marketing and people- obviously has some marketing stuff in it and then it finishes with entrepreneurs.
Theme 2: Managing business activities- this includes stuff like ways of raising finance so not anything to do with marketing. I personally found this slightly boring but oh well.
Theme 3: Business decisions and strategy- kind of what it says on the tin
Theme 4: Global business- this has global markets and global marketing in it so back to the marketing idea

When you actually come to sit your exams there are 3 papers. Paper 1 is theme 1 and 4 (this is 35% of your grade). Paper 2 is theme 2 and 3 (35%). Paper 3 is all the themes so you could be asked questions relevant to any theme (30%)

The whole course is synoptic. Discussing marketing and branding is relevant to most questions I have ever done to some extent. You mostly learn in the marketing section about the importance and a couple of ways of marketing and how to build a brand rep and then you just apply that knowledge to specific examples that you are given and sometimes you are asked to give recommendations.

I hope that gives you a bit of an idea of how much marketing is in there. Theme 3, is the theme that crosses over a bit with economics so that might appeal a bit to you. Some of it I won't lie is a bit dull but I am glad that I chose this subject i think because it has given me a bit more of an insight into corporations and what it takes to run a business. It has also been quite an easy A level for me (once you learn the exam technique) and is a bit lighter than my other subjects which has been helpful in getting the grades I need for uni.

I’ve read the speak but tbh u made it make so much more sense lol 😂 thank uu

the other a levels I wanna do is media and graphics so idk if it would help to do a more respected subject like a level economics? Or do universities not rly care cause there’s no subject requirements for the degree I wanna do anyways 🤷🏿*♀️
Original post by 🧡Hajera
I’ve read the speak but tbh u made it make so much more sense lol 😂 thank uu

the other a levels I wanna do is media and graphics so idk if it would help to do a more respected subject like a level economics? Or do universities not rly care cause there’s no subject requirements for the degree I wanna do anyways 🤷🏿*♀️

It depends. Idk what you are aiming for. Obviously, if you want to go to somewhere like idk Bath (aka a top ranking uni) then obviously taking economics would be a good idea but for the vast majority of unis this would be a perfectly fine combination. A lot of people in my class do business with sociology or media and they have had no problems getting into unis and some of them have had really good offers.

I would say if these are the subjects you enjoy then don't change them as you are likely to do well in them if you enjoy them. Getting the grades you need at A level is pretty much the most important thing for you. I personally fell into the trap by my careers advisor (careers advisors are bad don't listen to everything that they say without consulting other people first) that I should only take 1 'soft' subject (this has now pretty much been debunked and soft subjects aren't really the same thing anymore). I really wish I took sociology alongside business and now I realise that I don't think taking 2 more content heavy subjects benefitted me at all because those who didn't do that, have gotten offers from the same unis I have.

I also want to point out that there is a period from when you first start college where you can change very easily your subjects. My college allowed up until 1 month. So, you can change after a few classes if you decide that you want to do the other subject. What you decide now is definitely not set in stone and you can even call up during summer hols and change. Usually there is someone there or email.

Quick Reply

Latest