The Student Room Group

Research opportunities after BSc Psychology

Hey everyone!

I'll be starting my BSc Psychology degree this fall, but I'm a long term planner and I need some clarity on what I'll do post-bachelors but pre-doctorate. What kind of research opportunities are there for BSc students? Like, companies/organisations I can work for, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:)
Reply 1
Original post by unipsych
Hey everyone!

I'll be starting my BSc Psychology degree this fall, but I'm a long term planner and I need some clarity on what I'll do post-bachelors but pre-doctorate. What kind of research opportunities are there for BSc students? Like, companies/organisations I can work for, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:)

You could do an MSc to get research experience, or volunteer at a university as a research assistant.. there are paid roles too, but not many and they are competitive. What kind of doctorate are you aiming for?
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
You could do an MSc to get research experience, or volunteer at a university as a research assistant.. there are paid roles too, but not many and they are competitive. What kind of doctorate are you aiming for?

I’m aiming to do a phd in clinical psychology in the US. Normally, they prefer candidates who did research work for two years over MSc students.
Reply 3
Original post by unipsych
I’m aiming to do a phd in clinical psychology in the US. Normally, they prefer candidates who did research work for two years over MSc students.

There are MSc courses that are entirely research-based. Or MRes courses.
I did some volunteer RA work when I was on my degree with one of my lecturers, and went onto a MSc I’m Psychiatric Research, which introduced me to the people that gave me my first paid RA post. Ask around, it can get you a long way if you’re prepared to work hard.

Quick Reply

Latest