Misinterpreting message from teacher

Watch
spqr101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ok just to make it clear I am terrible at social cues.
With school being online these days interaction with staff has been heavily based upon emails and messaging on microsoft teams.

So yesterday I asked one of my teachers this question:
"Not really to do with my actual work in Latin, but just wondering how the classes will work next year. I think earlier in the year you may have mentioned potentially splitting up the class, so I was just wondering whether this has been scrapped and whether we'll still have you teaching us. Thanks"

My teacher replied with:
"Yes I will still be teaching you (sorry!) and I think the assessment results have shown that the class is doing well despite its slightly large size. Hopefully we will be back in school and the classes will work as normal with an approximate 3:1 ratio between literature and language. We should finish everything a week or so before the Easter holidays."

Just to make it clear the first phrase is the important one- I was a little confused by why he had said "sorry!" like that. At first I thought maybe he was joking but then when my panicked brain read over the original message I sent I felt like I had been a little passive aggressive and that he had taken the final part the wrong way and thought I didn't want him teaching me. I immediately felt terrible as he's always been so kind and supportive and is a brilliant teacher. I asked one of my friends what I should do and whether he was being serious or joking (and my friend, either because she is also as terrible at social cues as I am, or because she wanted to see me suffer, being the annoying best friend that she is, told me to apologise just in case).

So I apologised with this message:
"Ok thank you! Also I was not at all implying that I didn't want you as a teacher (sorry if it came across that way- I'm actually quite glad); I guess that's the problem with not being able to talk in person...!"

He hasn't replied yet but when I read over the conversation this morning it really glared out to me that he was joking (I think so at least...) and now I feel like an idiot and I'm scared he's going to judge me for freaking out so much and yh....

SO can someone PLEASE tell me if he was joking and whether I overreacted and anything else that can help because as you can see from the length of this message I am panicking like crazy.

Thanks!
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeahh, it’s pretty clear the teacher was joking... 😂

I don’t think your first email is passive aggressive at all, I think you’re just over analysing
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I apologise to my students when I tell them that they'll still have me in future years.

Also, your reply doesn't come across as weird.
Nutella!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i’m pretty sure he was joking. i was in a similar situation not long ago: i was venting to a teacher about stuff that was stressing me out, and because her replies weren’t exactly what i wanted to hear, despite being what i needed to hear, my replies were a little harsh and blunt. and reading through that the days after, in my opinion it was rather evident and unfair to her. so i ended up sending an apology email like you did as it made me feel better. i got back ‘You didn’t at all, and you never need to apologise, you will never offend me‘. made me feel a lot better. you probably haven’t offended him at all, the late replying is probably down to the fact teacher’s are rather overwhelmed with work right now 😊
spqr101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
I apologise to my students when I tell them that they'll still have me in future years.

Also, your reply doesn't come across as weird.
Oh haha good to know it's not too weird... the more that I thought about it through the day the weirder and weirder it seemed to get ....
spqr101
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLeafez)
Yeahh, it’s pretty clear the teacher was joking... 😂

I don’t think your first email is passive aggressive at all, I think you’re just over analysing
Haha yeah I talked to another friend today and sent her a screenshot of the conversation... her reply: "Mate he was joking! This is hilarious!!!!"

I don't know whether I hate or love my friends.....
spqr101
Rep:
?
(Original post by ella’s words)
i’m pretty sure he was joking. i was in a similar situation not long ago: i was venting to a teacher about stuff that was stressing me out, and because her replies weren’t exactly what i wanted to hear, despite being what i needed to hear, my replies were a little harsh and blunt. and reading through that the days after, in my opinion it was rather evident and unfair to her. so i ended up sending an apology email like you did as it made me feel better. i got back ‘You didn’t at all, and you never need to apologise, you will never offend me‘. made me feel a lot better. you probably haven’t offended him at all, the late replying is probably down to the fact teacher’s are rather overwhelmed with work right now 😊
Yep I'm not too surprised by the late replying (though he's a brilliant and lovely teacher I know he's not the greatest with getting back to people on time), though it is good to know that I'm not the only person who does stuff like this.

I mean just last week I accidentally replied to a message from another teacher in a rather passive aggressive way (It was pretty evident when I read over it, but alas I had sent it without checking over it properly), and she replied with a very tentative message saying how she was not intending to critisise me and that she was incredibly impressed with what I had done etc. etc.
This was followed by me apologising and her apologising and saying I don't need to apologise (rather a mess indeed).
She doesn't actually personally teach me (this was just at some extra curricular thing) and I don't know her well at all so I didn't really worry about it much afterwards.

I think that experience did cause me to immediately think that the same thing had happened here and I had been passive aggressive again, but I think he was probably joking now. The whole thing just bothered me a lot more because, as I said before, he is so lovely and I couldn't bear to think that he may have taken what I said the wrong way.

Long story short, thank you very much and I feel a lot better now! (And I think I'll definitely stop reading over the conversation every 30 mins fretting over it)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (70)
40.23%
Take autumn exams (59)
33.91%
Look for a job (4)
2.3%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.45%
Take a year out (24)
13.79%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
6.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise