The Student Room Group

Demi sexual

Hi!

So I don’t mean any offence by this but I’m trying to educate myself as my friend has just come out as Demi sexual!

After asking them some questions and googling to make sure I don’t say the wrong thing, I’m still a bit confused.

So are Demi sexual people straight? I understand that it’s all based on an emotional connection but surely that would make most people Demi sexual?

The definition is - Demisexuality is a type of sexuality or sexual orientation. People who identify as demisexual only feel sexual attraction to another person if they form a strong emotional bond or connection with them first.

But would that make me also Demi? Because I would only have sex with someone I have a bond or connection with??

Sorry if this sounds rude or anything! I really want to educate myself so I don’t offend anyone!

Please help haha!

Thanks guys :smile:
I'm guessing the main aspect of being demisexual is that they don't actually feel a 'sexual attraction' without the emotional connection.

People who are typically heterosexual, for example, do actually feel sexual attraction without needing an emotion connection.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong here.
Original post by ShybutHi
I'm guessing the main aspect of being demisexual is that they don't actually feel a 'sexual attraction' without the emotional connection.

People who are typically heterosexual, for example, do actually feel sexual attraction without needing an emotion connection.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong here.

Ahh okay! Thank you for replying!!
Reply 3
demisexuals can be straight, gay, bi, pan, whatever; it just means (to echo the above) they don't feel sexual attraction unless they have an emotional connection with a person first. i'm demisexual myself and i don't know what it's like to feel lust or be strictly physically attracted to someone. i know it sounds like i'm making it up, but if i am attracted to someone it's for their brains and not their body parts (tho i can appreciate a good looking person objectively) with maybe the exception of Jason Momoa.
it's admirable that you took the time to educate yourself about the way she feels - i feel really proud inside, knowing that you are such a good ally :yep: good on you!
Original post by Joleee
demisexuals can be straight, gay, bi, pan, whatever; it just means (to echo the above) they don't feel sexual attraction unless they have an emotional connection with a person first. i'm demisexual myself and i don't know what it's like to feel lust or be strictly physically attracted to someone. i know it sounds like i'm making it up, but if i am attracted to someone it's for their brains and not their body parts (tho i can appreciate a good looking person objectively) with maybe the exception of Jason Momoa.

Thank you for explaining! And I totally agree with Jason Momoa :wink:
Original post by yzanne
it's admirable that you took the time to educate yourself about the way she feels - i feel really proud inside, knowing that you are such a good ally :yep: good on you!

thank you so much! i just wanted to educate myself!! :smile:
Reply 7
I think that you just got friendzoned :biggrin:
Original post by Mojmeer
I think that you just got friendzoned :biggrin:

What do you mean?
i identified as demisexual bc i didn't feel a sexual attraction towards GUYS at all. and it was very rare if i do. but for girls i always felt sexually attracted to them. idk i might be lesbian. but demisexual means you don't find people sexually attracted until you get to know them.
Original post by Vanessa Chuah
i identified as demisexual bc i didn't feel a sexual attraction towards GUYS at all. and it was very rare if i do. but for girls i always felt sexually attracted to them. idk i might be lesbian. but demisexual means you don't find people sexually attracted until you get to know them.

ahhh okay! thanks for taking the time to reply, i appreciate it :smile:
Original post by cheerIeader
That is so offensive. That sexuality type doesn't exist hun!

Wdym? Yes it does
Reply 12
Original post by cheerIeader
That is so offensive. That sexuality type doesn't exist hun!

Demisexuality does exist I think you'll find, as does asexuality, bi, pan and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending