Will one bad module affect my career opportunities?

Watch
SDKelliher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have recently graduated from uni with a high 2:1 (67.6 %). I am pretty happy with my overal grade. My degree is a two year LLB Senior Status degree and I have pretty strong grades (80% in EU law, 73% in IP, 70% in land law, with the rest of my modules being between 63 and 66).

However, I do have one 2.2 (56%) in contract law which I handed in two minutes late and five words above the word limit (costing me 10%). I am now worried I will never get a job in the legal sector. Am I overreacting ?
Last edited by SDKelliher; 4 months ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SDKelliher)
I have recently graduated from uni with a high 2:1 (67.6 %). I am pretty happy with my overal grade. My degree is a two year LLB Senior Status degree and I have pretty strong grades (80% in EU law, 73% in IP, 70% in land law, with the rest of my modules being between 63 and 66).

However, I do have one 2.2 (56%) in contract law which I handed in two minutes late and five words above the word limit (costing me 10%). I am now worried I will never get a job in the legal sector. Am I overreacting ?
It is what it is.
It depends where you are applying and the rest of your application.
It would be better not to have it.

Never get a job is an overreaction by a long way.
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SDKelliher)

Depends on where you're applying to.
Many of the most selective commercial law firms would hold it against you and might ask you about it at interview. The same would apply if you had got it in, say, equity or land. You seem to have a satisfactory explanation for it that isn't 'I was dumb and didn't study'. Obviously, whether it will result in a rejection will depend on your general CV/profile.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise