Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Here is a bit of background. My little sister is absolutely stunning. She has a very beautiful face and a very slender figure, even if it is a little boyish, she knows how to make it look fabulous. She was nominated the cleverest girl in her year at secondary school, coming second overall- yet she is so caring she wants to be a childrens nurse. She is very funny, good at imitation, makes people laugh, and is always surrounded by people- she's quite popular.

I, however, have an average face, am just in the ideal range (the high end ) (although I have a fabulous hourglass figure, I still have a tummy I am not proud of). I've never been particularly clever, and have to work hard for what I want- something that is particularly difficult for me as I suffer from epilepsy and bi-polar disorder. Psychologists have been a regular feature in my life- low self esteem issues predominant. I don't really stand out in a group of people because I have a nice personality- only because I am confident, loud, and have big boobs!

I hate myself for who I am, I hate myself because I am so damn jealous, I hate myself because I hate myself. But non of that is the issue here.

My boyfriend recently met my sister. Since then he has been announcing her to the world as the hottest thing on two legs- I had warned him before they met that she was, and also that this made me very cautious- she has stolen friends from me before and I was reluctant to let her see any of my Uni mates. He says that she is utterly thick, so he wouldn't date her (sometimes she displays a total lack of common sense...like confirming that the Blackpool Tower was in Liverpool...) but this doesn't make me feel any better. I've always come second place to her- even my parents prefer her, and now my boyfriend, to whom I should be the most beautiful thing in the world, admits she is prettier.

I don't know what I want to hear. I know I'm jealous, I know I have no self-esteem, and I know it shouldn't matter- he's with me...but the other people who preferred her were my friends until she got her claws stuck in.

Meh. Thanks for listening, anyway.

IQ x

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that... But as your boyfriend said, he wouldn't date her, and he is dating you. So at least in that area you are not second to her.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why this would upset you. Have you spoken to your boyfriend about how you are feeling and how his comments have upset you? If not then it might be worth doing. He might not realise how much his comments are getting to you. You are your own person and should try not to compare yourself to your sister because I am sure that you both have your strengths and your weaknesses. My younger sister is generally better than me and I was jealous of her for a while but eventually I learned that comparing myself to her was just making me miserable and that I had my good points as well. If you have low self confidence it can sometimes be hard to see your good points but hopefully over time with the help of your friends and your boyfriend you will be able to increase your confidence and start to feel better about yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Here is a bit of background. My little sister is absolutely stunning. She has a very beautiful face and a very slender figure, even if it is a little boyish, she knows how to make it look fabulous. She was nominated the cleverest girl in her year at secondary school, coming second overall- yet she is so caring she wants to be a childrens nurse. She is very funny, good at imitation, makes people laugh, and is always surrounded by people- she's quite popular.

I, however, have an average face, am just in the ideal range (the high end ) (although I have a fabulous hourglass figure, I still have a tummy I am not proud of). I've never been particularly clever, and have to work hard for what I want- something that is particularly difficult for me as I suffer from epilepsy and bi-polar disorder. Psychologists have been a regular feature in my life- low self esteem issues predominant. I don't really stand out in a group of people because I have a nice personality- only because I am confident, loud, and have big boobs!

I hate myself for who I am, I hate myself because I am so damn jealous, I hate myself because I hate myself. But non of that is the issue here.

My boyfriend recently met my sister. Since then he has been announcing her to the world as the hottest thing on two legs- I had warned him before they met that she was, and also that this made me very cautious- she has stolen friends from me before and I was reluctant to let her see any of my Uni mates. He says that she is utterly thick, so he wouldn't date her (sometimes she displays a total lack of common sense...like confirming that the Blackpool Tower was in Liverpool...) but this doesn't make me feel any better. I've always come second place to her- even my parents prefer her, and now my boyfriend, to whom I should be the most beautiful thing in the world, admits she is prettier.

I don't know what I want to hear. I know I'm jealous, I know I have no self-esteem, and I know it shouldn't matter- he's with me...but the other people who preferred her were my friends until she got her claws stuck in.

Meh. Thanks for listening, anyway.

IQ x
    I'd hug you, but then you'd think it was pitty

It really is as simple as this: Beauty is only skin deep. Who is the person who will see you as the most beautiful thing on earth? That'll be the person that will ask you to marry him, have kids with him, and grow old with him , IMO at least.

People who judge based on looks aren't worth your time anyways- if you're working for what you have, what you have is built on a strong foundation, it'll last, be hard to shake. It's a rule of thumb, easy come easy go

Hope that made you feel a bit better :hugs:

AH

ReputationRep:
    why would your boyfriend even mention things like he wouldnt want to date her, why would that ever come up in conversation. sounds weird to me.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think it was a little insensitive of him, but remember that you're the one he's dating. Jealousy is a natural reaction (especially when it comes to relationships), why do you hate yourself for it? Being jealous is fine, just don't let it control you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.