Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am not sure if the degree I have 1 study year left of is what I want to do when I leave university anymore. I am wondering about a second degree, I am on my placement year at the moment. The degree I have done is going to land me straight into an office job and now I feel like this is not what I want to do every day.

I figure doing another degree I would not need to do another sandwich year as the placement I have in my opinion would cover what I would choose as another degree.

My A Level grades add up to a total of 260 UCAS points. If I did choose to do another degree would my computer science degree be involved in the selection process? Would this be of an extra boost. I am really going to push for a first in my computer science degree, I am currently at an mid 2.1 and I feel a first is obtainable.

Say the degree I wanted to do required all A's at A level, which I did not acheive, would a high grade in another degree help me?

Thanks

p.s my copmputer science degree would not go to waste, hopefully I would be able to use it to make some money to pay for a second degree.

p.p.s. This is only another recent thought that I may get over but I would just like to know the options available to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emdiesse)
    Hello,

I am not sure if the degree I have 1 study year left of is what I want to do when I leave university anymore. I am wondering about a second degree, I am on my placement year at the moment. The degree I have done is going to land me straight into an office job and now I feel like this is not what I want to do every day.

I figure doing another degree I would not need to do another sandwich year as the placement I have in my opinion would cover what I would choose as another degree.

My A Level grades add up to a total of 260 UCAS points. If I did choose to do another degree would my computer science degree be involved in the selection process? Would this be of an extra boost. I am really going to push for a first in my computer science degree, I am currently at an mid 2.1 and I feel a first is obtainable.

Say the degree I wanted to do required all A's at A level, which I did not acheive, would a high grade in another degree help me?

Thanks

p.s my copmputer science degree would not go to waste, hopefully I would be able to use it to make some money to pay for a second degree.

p.p.s. This is only another recent thought that I may get over but I would just like to know the options available to me.
    Maybe do a postgraduate degree?? I'm sure you are able to apply for slightly different courses than the one you did for undergraduate, although I might be wrong (someone more knowledgable; correct me if I'm wrong!). So in that way you are furthering your studies, not just staying in the undergrad section.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i think I want to make a move away from computers. I was always very good at science back at school and I quite like the idea of a medicine degree, I feel like I may have taken a wrong turn at some point because I was always facinated with science. Back in school I wasn't very good at languages so was put into the middle tier so I could only take double science. I think this may have been the turning point, at that point I noticed I was fairly good at computers. When I left school my teachers admitted that I probably should have been put in the higher tier to do single sciences.

Or this could just be another one of my phases of ideas, if by the end of this placement I am still thinking about it I think it might be something I would like to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emdiesse)
    Well, i think I want to make a move away from computers. I was always very good at science back at school and I quite like the idea of a medicine degree, I feel like I may have taken a wrong turn at some point because I was always facinated with science. Back in school I wasn't very good at languages so was put into the middle tier so I could only take double science. I think this may have been the turning point, at that point I noticed I was fairly good at computers. When I left school my teachers admitted that I probably should have been put in the higher tier to do single sciences.

Or this could just be another one of my phases of ideas, if by the end of this placement I am still thinking about it I think it might be something I would like to do.
    some medical schools will consider a degree in any subject such as newcastle for graduate entry. Warrick doesnt consider Alevel or GCSE but ud have to contact them and see if they will take your degree.

ReputationRep:
    I know there is also a graduate entry medical degree you can do but unfortunately i dont know an awful lot more. I believe this is the website for the enterance exam:

http://www.gamsatuk.org/index.php?op...tpage&Itemid=1

If you have a look through Nottingham University website you might be able to find some more info though as I believe they provide it. Notably, this may also be linked to the Newcastle program from the above post!

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that if you do another undergraduate degree you won't get any funding for it, so you'll have to pay for tuition fees up front. I'm not sure what the deal is with graduate medicine but I'm sure the funding for it is not very much, and less so than it used to be. It would be worth asking that in the medicine sub forum

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.