Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I need a tan in a few weeks.

My mum is booking us in for a spray tan session two days before the holiday, but after reading horror stories on TSR I'm not so sure

So now I have three options:

1. Fear the worst but go anyway - to the spray tan.
    2. Start using those "build up a gradual self tan" moisturisers on face and body. But which kinds are best? Loreal? Do they work? How fast do they wash off?
    3. Wear tinted suntan lotion all the time so no-one on holiday knows I'm a milk bottle :ninja:

Anymore options? :shy2: What do you think of my suggestions? I need to ash pretty often as I'm an active chick who loves to workout (holidays are no exception)

ReputationRep:
    Try going to the sun.

ReputationRep:
    Sunbeds - they are pretty quick at building up a tan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    Comes with free skin cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by final1)
    Comes with free skin cancer.
    Rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by final1)
    Try going to the sun.
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    To the above - no. I want the tan to be fake. Health takes priority, even over looks.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the spray tan and make sure you do all the preparation they tell you to. I've heard of things like making sure you exfoliate and moisturise coming up to the appointment. So maybe you should ring up the place your mum has booked and ask them what they recommend you do before you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dadeling)
    Go for the spray tan and make sure you do all the preparation they tell you to. I've heard of things like making sure you exfoliate and moisturise coming up to the appointment. So maybe you should ring up the place your mum has booked and ask them what they recommend you do before you go.
    That's good advice

But dont spray tans wash off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    That's good advice

But dont spray tans wash off?
    Over time they do, they are designed to fade away gradually. I think the ones done at salons are meant to last like 5 days or a week or something. What they do is spray the tan on to you and there is also this protective coat stuff which is much darker than your actual tan will be and you are only allowed to wash it off after about 12 hours or something. It looks horrible at first but after you wash for the first time it looks great, all my friends looked really good with their fake tans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dadeling)
    Over time they do, they are designed to fade away gradually. I think the ones done at salons are meant to last like 5 days or a week or something. What they do is spray the tan on to you and there is also this protective coat stuff which is much darker than your actual tan will be and you are only allowed to wash it off after about 12 hours or something. It looks horrible at first but after you wash for the first time it looks great, all my friends looked really good with their fake tans.
    Thank you. The dark stuff sounds scary How do you get from the tanning place to your home without anyone seeing?

Also, how do you exercise with a spray on tan?

Exercise is v.important to me. It is my alternative to anti-depressant pills. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    can't comment on spray tan, but my cousins use Johnnson Holiday skin moisturising tan and it seems to look pretty natural on them. They always have a tan though and me and my cousins tend to go slightly orange in the sun anyway. It doesn't look bad orange, not at all, but there is a hint of orange in that moisturiser. Just letting you know what kind of skin colour it gives you.

if i were you i'd go for holiday skin, and bronzing sun cream and also a bronze powder (apply on all the areas of the face that would normally get the sun the most, like cheekbones, nose, brow, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adarah)

if i were you i'd go for holiday skin, and bronzing sun cream and also a bronze powder (apply on all the areas of the face that would normally get the sun the most, like cheekbones, nose, brow, etc.
    That sounds interesting. Are their any products suitable for oily skin/spot brakeouts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    Thank you. The dark stuff sounds scary How do you get from the tanning place to your home without anyone seeing?

Also, how do you exercise with a spray on tan?

Exercise is v.important to me. It is my alternative to anti-depressant pills. :yep:
    It depends what time you are getting your tan done with regards to exercise but really it would not be advisable to exercise on the same day as the tan as the sweat might cause it to run off and you could end up all streaky. If possible, get your mum to book it as late as possible.

Is your mum able to drive to and from the salon. Tbh, you might get some funny stares but its not as if you're going to see those people very often and if you see any of your friends you can just do a quick explanation. It'll be fine :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Forgot, you can exercise on the day before you tan as long as you have a shower after I guess? Still, these are questions you could ask the place if you give them a quick ring!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    That sounds interesting. Are their any products suitable for oily skin/spot brakeouts?
    well, the bronzing powder should be ok for oily skin, I'm sorry, don't know about any bonzing lotions for the face, I've never used them myself, only my cousins (and they don't care if they break out in spots really, hehe).

ReputationRep:
    My mum and I both use Johnsons Holiday Skin Body Lotion. It builds up a light, gradual tan, smells nice, isn't sticky or greasy and doesn't make you go orange. I don't find it smears or goes streaky either as it is gradual so if you miss a bit you can just build it up. It works well with most skin types and is quite sensitive as well I'd recommend it, half price at Boots at the moment!

More info here

Or I've also used these

These build a much quicker tan but I found that they can go a bit patchy/ don't last as long.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I'm a brownie so I have no idea of this stuff BUT fake tan imo looks really weird. If I were you I'd buy one of those gradual build up things.

ReputationRep:
    lol, if you go to the spray tan you should watch that video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOLCw...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't exercise in the first day before you wash off the top layer you'll be fine. You can exercise normally after that and it won't make a difference to the tan. Didn't with me anyway. Also- get a lift home from the salon incase it rains! I had to walk home and the heavens opened and I had little droplet shapes of lighter tan all over my chest!

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you meant to go to the sun to get a tan?

I don't understand why people go with a fake tan.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.