Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here’s my dilemma at the moment. I'm not expecting much feedback but just a little would be nice.

First off I'm going into my 2nd year studying civil engineering after doing a foundation year and 1st year(obviously)

For a long time (about a year) now I've always wanted to go into finance. I've researched the career to death. I know what I need to do and where I need to go to achieve my goal.

I did my first years summer work experience in an accountancy office with a view to doing an investment banking insight week at Easter and internship next summer.

But with talk of the Olympics, the Severn barrage etc. I've had another look at going into civil engineering...
    Now I'm not so sure... :eek:

I've always been interested in engineering - watching tv show like grand designs, mega structures etc. but on the flip side I've always been interested in banking and finance (trading shares, following financial news)

So I find myself split between two passions

sooo... I think I'll do Pros and Cons. (feel free to add some and I'll edit them in).

Civil engineering profession:
    Pros

• High job satisfaction
    • Low amount of hours (compared to banking)
    • interesting
    • not so competitive?
    • Have time for other interests -RNQ

Cons

• Low pay (when compared to banking)
    • lots of travel??

Banking profession :
    Pros

• High pay (when compared to everything else)
    • Get to live in London for a while (might be a con)
    • "models and bottles" lifestyle
    • High pay

Cons

• Lots of hours (when compared to everything else)
    • High stress
    • Living in London (con?)
    • Highly competitive
    • not as glamorous as most people think -RNQ
    • No time to spend the money-RNQ

So yea, if you can think of any more I could add to the lists holla back.

Argh I feel like I'm having a midlife crisis the decision needs to be made pretty soon because I need to start applying to summer internships, be it banking or civil. :p:

It'll be good to hear some../ANY opinions. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    If it was me I'd go for the civil engineering.

Have a life outside work and enjoy it. Money isn't everything.

ReputationRep:
    Go for civil engineering- less likely to make you dead inside.

ReputationRep:
    Investment banking seems more exciting to me, but it depends on what you find exciting.
    I would go for IB if you don't mind the long hours, the stress.
    If you want a job which allows you to have time for yourself: civil engineering.

Ehh that didn't help much did it.

ReputationRep:
    Does civil engineering pay little?? Come to Norway and they'll be throwing money your way!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you do Civil Engineering you could probably go into banking later, couldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    If it was me I'd go for the civil engineering.

Have a life outside work and enjoy it. Money isn't everything.
    i agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvle)
    Ok, here’s my dilemma at the moment. I'm not expecting much feedback but just a little would be nice.

First off I'm going into my 2nd year studying civil engineering after doing a foundation year and 1st year(obviously)

For a long time (about a year) now I've always wanted to go into finance. I've researched the career to death. I know what I need to do and where I need to go to achieve my goal.

I did my first years summer work experience in an accountancy office with a view to doing an investment banking insight week at Easter and internship next summer.

But with talk of the Olympics, the Severn barrage etc. I've had another look at going into civil engineering...
    Now I'm not so sure... :eek:

I've always been interested in engineering - watching tv show like grand designs, mega structures etc. but on the flip side I've always been interested in banking and finance (trading shares, following financial news)

So I find myself split between two passions

sooo... I think I'll do Pros and Cons. (feel free to add some and I'll edit them in).

Civil engineering profession:
    Pros

• High job satisfaction
    • Low amount of hours (compared to banking)
    • interesting
    • not so competitive?
    • Have time for other interests -RNQ

Cons

• Low pay (when compared to banking)
    • lots of travel??

Banking profession :
    Pros

• High pay (when compared to everything else)
    • Get to live in London for a while (might be a con)
    • "models and bottles" lifestyle
    • High pay

Cons

• Lots of hours (when compared to everything else)
    • High stress
    • Living in London (con?)
    • Highly competitive
    • not as glamorous as most people think -RNQ
    • No time to spend the money-RNQ

So yea, if you can think of any more I could add to the lists holla back.

Argh I feel like I'm having a midlife crisis the decision needs to be made pretty soon because I need to start applying to summer internships, be it banking or civil. :p:

It'll be good to hear some../ANY opinions. :confused:
    If you worked your way up then you could earn allot of money in civil engineering. Some choose to go on and set up their own businesses, you could go and work as a w/b-anker as well (like physics bank are only interested in your ease with numbers and it is pretty obvious that you not stupid). So basically the engineering gives you the option to do either jobs so stick with that.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.