How to not feel guilty about not getting anything done?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've been incredibly sick and bedridden for 2-3 weeks.

I have a lot to do and stressing a lot (UCAT to prep for which I need to sit soon).

I can't stop feeling **** because I'm wasting so much time.

I have tried to do work, but I feel too ill to do anything apart from laying in my bed.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been incredibly sick and bedridden for 2-3 weeks.

I have a lot to do and stressing a lot (UCAT to prep for which I need to sit soon).

I can't stop feeling **** because I'm wasting so much time.

I have tried to do work, but I feel too ill to do anything apart from laying in my bed.
I know exactly how you feel. I had to repeat year 11 because I was in hospital the whole time. I didn't know that I was going to repeat the year so I thought I was going to do my exams.

It's important to get yourself better. I'm guessing that if your going UCAT you're interested in medicine so you'll understand what stress does to your body and immune system. It might be worth asking your university for special consideration. After all you are at an unfair disadvantage and I'm sure that they will understand. You aren't wasting time by recovering. You are wasting time by worrying.

I'm sure you will do great! if not, it's not your fault and it wasn't in your control so don't worry about it.

also, there is always the option of a gap year. If you can't take your UCAT this year, why not take a gap year. This way you can get way more work experience(which you can't get easily now because of COVID), you can study more for your UCAT and you can get a job o help finance university. You could be a HCA which would make you money and get you experience for medical school. They may even show you some procedures.

What ever happens remember: There are ALWAYS options. This isn't the end
OnABus2Neverland
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
maybe working on revising using flashcards? aim to go at least an hour a day (if u can do more than that’s better) try to boost up your immune system as much as u can and do light exercise.
OnABus2Neverland
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
even though you might not be actively revising, i think it’s more important to work on your physical wellbeing. i like to journal. it helps express how i feel and it works on exploring what i can do to stop feeling this particular feeling i have
leopard202
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are their audio versions of your textbooks? It might be easier for you to lie back for a good part of it and listen, and audio dictate notes or answers to a lovely friend or family member!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I know exactly how you feel. I had to repeat year 11 because I was in hospital the whole time. I didn't know that I was going to repeat the year so I thought I was going to do my exams.

It's important to get yourself better. I'm guessing that if your going UCAT you're interested in medicine so you'll understand what stress does to your body and immune system. It might be worth asking your university for special consideration. After all you are at an unfair disadvantage and I'm sure that they will understand. You aren't wasting time by recovering. You are wasting time by worrying.

I'm sure you will do great! if not, it's not your fault and it wasn't in your control so don't worry about it.

also, there is always the option of a gap year. If you can't take your UCAT this year, why not take a gap year. This way you can get way more work experience(which you can't get easily now because of COVID), you can study more for your UCAT and you can get a job o help finance university. You could be a HCA which would make you money and get you experience for medical school. They may even show you some procedures.

What ever happens remember: There are ALWAYS options. This isn't the end
Hi there,

Just wanted to say you're words have been incredibly helpful. Although I am still sick, I feel as though some burden has been lifted off of my mind and I was only able to hang in there because of you. Before, my thoughts took a toll on my mental health, I suffer from clinical depression so it was very burdensome, but after hearing your advice, I was able to have courage to endure through this.

Haha although it probably sounds like I am making a big deal out of something little, I just want to thank you for your encouragement. I have come to accept that whatever happens, happens. It may be out of my control, but I am okay with that. As you said, there are always options.

I took some time to just focus on recovering. Although every now and then I still feel anxious about my inability to get work done, it's not as bad as before.

Sincerely,
Student Trying to Survive
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,

Just wanted to say you're words have been incredibly helpful. Although I am still sick, I feel as though some burden has been lifted off of my mind and I was only able to hang in there because of you. Before, my thoughts took a toll on my mental health, I suffer from clinical depression so it was very burdensome, but after hearing your advice, I was able to have courage to endure through this.

Haha although it probably sounds like I am making a big deal out of something little, I just want to thank you for your encouragement. I have come to accept that whatever happens, happens. It may be out of my control, but I am okay with that. As you said, there are always options.

I took some time to just focus on recovering. Although every now and then I still feel anxious about my inability to get work done, it's not as bad as before.

Sincerely,
Not the anon, but I do agree with them.

Please be kind to yourself, you can't do everything all the time. Health comes first, always.

Take care.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 days ago
Hi there,

Sincerely,
I'm so glad that my out helped you !
stay strong
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (153)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.75%
Look for a job (14)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.25%
Take a year out (68)
17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.25%

Watched Threads