The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's a GCSE for me
Reply 21
International GCSE. No coursework! Nothing. Just you and an exam to decide your fate
BrightGirl

Meh, if at the minute GCSE's are easier to get better marks in and they're regarded almost as well as IGCSEs for top unis (there's no requirement for them on uni websites), surely it makes sense to just take the easy option? But I suppose some people want a challenge! :o:

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't take IGCSEs in the UK.
Likewise, you can't take GCSEs if you're considered an international student.
So you don't really have a choice regarding which exams you take..
Rokit
International GCSE. No coursework! Nothing. Just you and an exam to decide your fate

Not true..
twizzler
Unless I'm mistaken, you can't take IGCSEs in the UK.
Likewise, you can't take GCSEs if you're considered an international student.
So you don't really have a choice regarding which exams you take..

You are.
Hedgehunter
You are.

I'm glad you have clarified this dilemma for me :yep:
:p:
Reply 26
twizzler
Not true..

I think I am in a good position to know since I did them myself
Rokit
I think I am in a good position to know since I did them myself

Err, as did I.
Hedgehunter
Oh dear.

Yet you claim to have received 11A*...

It was a lie. :yep: She did not get them!
Reply 29
BrightGirl
That's a good point...I haven't seen anyone with all A* IGCSEs...
Is it a completely different syllabus, or just harder exam questions?

Different syllabus, no. Supplementary syllabus, yes. Harder exam questions, definitely (almost AS maths for IGCSE Maths). But the main reason for the few A*s and A grades for IGCSE is that the grade boundaries are high.
Reply 30
Mr M
Interestingly, not all private schools are high quality schools. Some offer the IGCSE simply to avoid being compared to state schools in their area as the comparison would not be flattering for them.

Source?
The weird thing is I got 5 A's on all my IGCSE papers and 2 A's and 2 B's on my GCSE papers.:hmmmm2:
Reply 32
Soylent Green
The weird thing is I got 5 A's on all my IGCSE papers and 2 A's and 2 B's on my GCSE papers.:hmmmm2:

I got the better grades for my IGCSE results too [generally]. Because I didn't revise for the GCSE ones at all. :biggrin:
RobbieH
Source?

I have anecdotal evidence.

The public school just down the road from me had a 1 percentage point better 5A*-C rate in 2003 than the state school I attended - not really enough to warrant paying thousands of pounds a term. Now their "brighter pupils" do IGCSEs the headmaster has an excuse for looking crap in league tables.
electriic_ink

The public school just down the road from me had a 1 percentage point better 5A*-C rate in 2003 than the state school I attended - not really enough to warrant paying thousands of pounds a term. Now their "brighter pupils" do IGCSEs the headmaster has an excuse for looking crap in league tables.

A lot of people don't just send their kids to private schools for the supposed better grade outcomes and like you say it is true that many private schools are no better than Grammars. However the reasons are for the better facilities and smaller class sizes...
Mr M
When IGCSEs were introduced, the standard and content was similar to GCSEs. However, the difficulty of GCSEs has been eroded over time while the difficulty of IGCSEs has been largely maintained (due to lack of Government interference). This has created the current inequality.

There it is, then. Proof that GCSEs are getting easier.
Reply 36
The thing about IGCSEs being harder than GCSEs is crap. It's just a different layout. I personally would find GCSEs harder than IGCSEs because I'm not great at coursework. I do better in exams. Someone else might find coursework easier than exams.

EDIT: Perhaps with the exception of Maths, where there really is a difference in level. You get calculus, vectors and sets in addition to the GCSE stuff.
OMG! I was just about to submit my thread on this and it popped up!

:woo:
I did an IGCSE maths paper and found it to be decent, certainly A LOT more thinking involved, and even some basic calculus in there too. No coursework though gets a thumbs up from me :yy:
electriic_ink

I'm afraid my evidence is purely anecdotal as well (they wouldn't want to write it down would they?) but a number of headteachers of small independent schools have admitted as much to me at conferences I have attended.

I expect some of you would be surprised to hear that you do not need to hold a teaching qualification in order to teach at an independent school. I know a number of teachers who have ended up in the private sector after failing to pass teacher training placements in state schools.

Basically, teaching at an independent school is a whole lot easier than in a state school in terms of class sizes, behaviour and resources but it is more difficult in terms of marking, report writing and accountability to parents.

Latest