Turn on thread page Beta

Err what's an IGCSE? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    There it is, then. Proof that GCSEs are getting easier.
    I'm quite flattered that my assertions constitute irrefutable proof.

ReputationRep:
    I did them and got ok results (3A*s and 1A).. but yes, they are slightly harder - we did some "normal" gcse practise papers once and they were well easy compared to the IGCSE ones we did.. IGCSE is supposed to be harder so as to bridge the huge gap between gcse and A levels slightly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I'm quite flattered that my assertions constitute irrefutable proof.
    True, that statement of mine is a bit unfounded but you're a teacher so I trust what you say

ReputationRep:
    I love coursework. (Random but yeah)

And I agree that maybe IGCSE's are harder than GCSE's.

I've also noticed that people that do IGCSE's only have fewer grades than someone that has done GCSE's only. As in, someone that has done IGCSE's may have done only 7/8 subjects, whereas someone that has done GCSE's can do upto 15. Is there a limit to IGCSE's or something?

ReputationRep:
    did edexcel igcses, and they were not hard except for ict

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faiza.)
    I love coursework. (Random but yeah)

And I agree that maybe IGCSE's are harder than GCSE's.

I've also noticed that people that do IGCSE's only have fewer grades than someone that has done GCSE's only. As in, someone that has done IGCSE's may have done only 7/8 subjects, whereas someone that has done GCSE's can do upto 15. Is there a limit to IGCSE's or something?

No I presume it is because someone who does IGCSEs can only be at a private school and these schools are likely to limit the amount of GCSEs taken (both I or normal) to increase the chances of them being good grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight)
    It was a lie. :yep: She did not get them!
    Erm, yes I did. :rolleyes:

(Original post by RobbieH)
    Different syllabus, no. Supplementary syllabus, yes. Harder exam questions, definitely (almost AS maths for IGCSE Maths). But the main reason for the few A*s and A grades for IGCSE is that the grade boundaries are high.
    Argh they sound hard. But if the maths is harder then it's probably good because it'll lessen the gap between GCSE and AS maths which is quite big.

(Original post by trance addict)
    I did an IGCSE maths paper and found it to be decent, certainly A LOT more thinking involved, and even some basic calculus in there too. No coursework though gets a thumbs up from me :yy:
    I liked the maths coursework when I did it! It's just easy marks and there's no control so everyone copied everyone :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draconis)
    The thing about IGCSEs being harder than GCSEs is crap. It's just a different layout. I personally would find GCSEs harder than IGCSEs because I'm not great at coursework. I do better in exams. Someone else might find coursework easier than exams.

EDIT: Perhaps with the exception of Maths, where there really is a difference in level. You get calculus, vectors and sets in addition to the GCSE stuff.
    That's a fair point, maybe it's personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draconis)
    The thing about IGCSEs being harder than GCSEs is crap. It's just a different layout. I personally would find GCSEs harder than IGCSEs because I'm not great at coursework. I do better in exams. Someone else might find coursework easier than exams.

EDIT: Perhaps with the exception of Maths, where there really is a difference in level. You get calculus, vectors and sets in addition to the GCSE stuff.
    My cousin got into LSE for economics with A*AAAAABBBC for IGCSEs, and AAAb for A-levels. My cousin's friend who attends a state school got A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA for GCSEs, AAAb predicted as well. Was automatically rejected because he didn't have 8 A*'s. So clearly, at LSE, this rule applies to GCSEs and not IGCSEs. Oxbridge having visited my school also said they adjust the filtering system for IGCSE students to 6 A's as opposed to 6 A*'s. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucky star)
    I did them and got ok results (3A*s and 1A).. but yes, they are slightly harder - we did some "normal" gcse practise papers once and they were well easy compared to the IGCSE ones we did.. IGCSE is supposed to be harder so as to bridge the huge gap between gcse and A levels slightly..
    Ditto. IGCSEs > GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin got into LSE for economics with A*AAAAABBBC for IGCSEs, and AAAb for A-levels. My cousin's friend who attends a state school got A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA for GCSEs, AAAb predicted as well. Was automatically rejected because he didn't have 8 A*'s. So clearly, at LSE, this rule applies to GCSEs and not IGCSEs. Oxbridge having visited my school also said they adjust the filtering system for IGCSE students to 6 A's as opposed to 6 A*'s. :rolleyes:
    This does not make my point wrong. It's likely that the majority of students find exams harder than coursework, and so getting a high grade would be easier if those students were doing GCSEs, where there is a coursework element.

ReputationRep:
    Did LSE tell him thats why he was rejected?

ReputationRep:
    CIE IGCSE Maths can comprise of 2 exam papers & course work OR 3 exam papers only.(school decides)
    Statistically more achieve As & A* without the course work!

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.