Hennak6319
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm looking at doing a degree in neuroscience, how long does it take to become a neurologist? Can I do it straight after I get my degree or is there a certain process?
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hennak6319)
I'm looking at doing a degree in neuroscience, how long does it take to become a neurologist? Can I do it straight after I get my degree or is there a certain process?
You need a medicine degree to become a neurologist unfortunately
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hennak6319)
Neurology is a medical specialty.

Neuroscience is a scientific field.

They are different - neuroscience deals with a lot of mental health too, which neurologists can see but they are primarily dealt with by the psychiatrists.

As @Dechante said, you'll need to do Medicine, then Foundation Programme (2 years), Internal Medicine Training (for 3 years) before you can apply to do Neurology specialty training.
username2825764
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
you need a bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery (MBBS) to do neurology, not a neuroscience degree.

the process is roughly:
- MBBS 4 to 6 years
- FY1/FY2 2 years
- CT1-CT2 2yrs core medical training
- ST3 to ST7 5yrs neurology speciality training

ecolier is a neurologist so he might be able to tell you more.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MalcolmX)
...- CT1-CT2 2yrs core medical training
- ST3 to ST7 5yrs neurology speciality training
Sadly this is no longer the case... Core Medical Training has been replaced by Internal Medicine Training which is 3 years (1 year of compulsory general medical registrar), for Neurology anyway.

Neurology specialty training is going to be 4 years, with 12 months minimum of general medical on-calls too. As a result of this reduction in training (currently 5 years of pure neurology vs in the future only 3 years), the ABN has plans to "extend" neurology specialty training back to 5 years after 3 years of IMT.

ecolier is a neurologist so he might be able to tell you more.
:ta:
username2825764
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Sadly this is no longer the case... Core Medical Training has been replaced by Internal Medicine Training which is 3 years (1 year of compulsory general medical registrar), for Neurology anyway.

Neurology specialty training is going to be 4 years, with 12 months minimum of general medical on-calls too. As a result of this reduction in training (currently 5 years of pure neurology vs in the future only 3 years), the ABN has plans to "extend" neurology specialty training back to 5 years after 3 years of IMT.

:ta:
prsom. nhs needs to update their website. https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...nd-development
nexttime
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
prsom. nhs needs to update their website. https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...nd-development
Its the NHS - they need to set up the sub committee who will determine who is on the steering committee who will hold weekly meetings about how they plan to approach changing the line of the webpage. It'll be done in a clean efficient 4 years tops.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Don't worry about it. Neurology is still 5 years, i.e. the old model for this year (i.e. 2020/21 entry). This is the last year it'll be like this (imagine a mad dash of CT2s not taking gap years!! Just in our hospital there were 5 people applying for ST3 neurology this year - and the national number of posts is like 40 or 50).

IMT started last year (2019/20) and Neurology wouldn't recruit its first ST4s until 2022/23 anyway.

Here's more information:

https://www.jrcptb.org.uk/imt (Neurology is a Group 1 specialty)

Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Its the NHS - they need to set up the sub committee who will determine who is on the steering committee who will hold weekly meetings about how they plan to approach changing the line of the webpage. It'll be done in a clean efficient 4 years tops.
By which time the training pathway will have changed again.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
From a speech by Tony Benn:

“The NHS held a boat race against a Japanese crew. After Japan won by a mile, a working party found the winners had 8 people rowing and one steering while the NHS had eight steering and one rowing. So the NHS spent £5 million on consultants, forming a restructured crew of four assistant steering managers, three deputy managers and a director of steering services. The rower was then given an incentive to row harder. They held another race and lost by two miles, so the NHS fired the rower for poor performance, sold the boat and used the proceeds to pay a bonus to the director of steering services.”
CurryVader
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Don't worry about it. Neurology is still 5 years, i.e. the old model for this year (i.e. 2020/21 entry). This is the last year it'll be like this (imagine a mad dash of CT2s not taking gap years!! Just in our hospital there were 5 people applying for ST3 neurology this year - and the national number of posts is like 40 or 50).

IMT started last year (2019/20) and Neurology wouldn't recruit its first ST4s until 2022/23 anyway.

Here's more information:

https://www.jrcptb.org.uk/imt (Neurology is a Group 1 specialty)

Interesting.

So atm is London more competitive for Neuro ST3 just like it is for foundation schools? Also how many posts are typically on offer every year for Neuro in London?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CurryVader)
...So atm is London more competitive for Neuro ST3 just like it is for foundation schools?
Yes. London is more competitive for all specialties at all grades.

It will be Neurology ST4 from 2021/22 onwards.

Also how many posts are typically on offer every year for Neuro in London?
It really depends, every year it's different due to how many people are finishing training, whether anyone is kicked out (these will increase the number of posts available) or if people are going into further education like Masters / PhD, period of grace post-CCT or maternity leave (these will reduce the numbers).

For 2019 Round 1, there were 10 posts in LON and all 10 were filled (obviously). Here are the stats for 2013 - 2019: https://www.st3recruitment.org.uk/do...?mid=304&lid=1

For 2020 Round 2 that's about to happen. There are zero jobs. https://www.st3recruitment.org.uk/specialties/neurology (Click on "Interview dates & posts" )
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (147)
28.94%
It went fairly well (241)
47.44%
It didn't go too well (77)
15.16%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.46%

Watched Threads