The Student Room Group

Investment banking vs finance

I was going to apply for medicine as I have bio chem Maths and econ but I realised that money was a big factor and econ was my strongest subject( along with maths) so I’m unsure of what to do. I have done all the relevant work experience for med however would be taking a gap yr as I don’t have the predicted grades. I was thinking of switching to IB but many say that it’s extremely difficult to get into and is not even that financially rewarding compared to med!
if you get into IB you will make SERIOUS money straight after uni, med takes a long time and hours before the pay
Original post by Magicdesignss27
if you get into IB you will make SERIOUS money straight after uni, med takes a long time and hours before the pay

Have to acquire experience and lets not even get started of how long med school is
Original post by harsita123
I was going to apply for medicine as I have bio chem Maths and econ but I realised that money was a big factor and econ was my strongest subject( along with maths) so I’m unsure of what to do. I have done all the relevant work experience for med however would be taking a gap yr as I don’t have the predicted grades. I was thinking of switching to IB but many say that it’s extremely difficult to get into and is not even that financially rewarding compared to med!

Look into chem eng and you can always opt into finance in terms of options if you acquire experience through uni but if Econ is your strongest subject your better off doing Econ
Reply 4
Original post by Magicdesignss27

Apparently the working hours for analysts is terrible and apparently according to many sources people burn out and also sexism in IB?!
Original post by harsita123
Apparently the working hours for analysts is terrible and apparently according to many sources people burn out and also sexism in IB?!

Yeah that’s true but the way you should be thinking is that it wouldn’t pay well if it was easy. And generally depends on your team and your project your working on and if they are any deals trying to be closed. Sometimes it may be hectic sometimes you may have nothing to do. But in my opinion it’s a good starting point. You should do more research and perhaps talk to a range of people in the industry

Sexism used to be a thing but I think that’s it’s changing massively I know a lot females in the job now. As time goes on it will change like any sector e.g engineering accounting teaching etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending