Batik111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello,
I hope you can help. I’m currently undertaking a part time MBA and I’ll be going on maternity leave in September. This MBA is funded by my employer through the apprenticeship levy scheme.
I would like to carry on with my off-the-training studies while on maternity leave and my employer would be happy to support that, however I’m told by the university that I HAVE TO stop the MBA and restart it when I return from maternity plan. This is obviously disrupting my plans and frustrating me as I feel it should be my choice whether I should take a break in learning or not. I also know other women taking a qualification through the same scheme (CIMA) who have been told they can carry on while on mat leave.
Any advice? Thank you!
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Batik111)
Hello,
I hope you can help. I’m currently undertaking a part time MBA and I’ll be going on maternity leave in September. This MBA is funded by my employer through the apprenticeship levy scheme.
I would like to carry on with my off-the-training studies while on maternity leave and my employer would be happy to support that, however I’m told by the university that I HAVE TO stop the MBA and restart it when I return from maternity plan. This is obviously disrupting my plans and frustrating me as I feel it should be my choice whether I should take a break in learning or not. I also know other women taking a qualification through the same scheme (CIMA) who have been told they can carry on while on mat leave.
Any advice? Thank you!
Have the university provided a reason as to why you have to stop?

With the current situation and, I'd imagine, still a lot of distance learning taking place once September comes around, I think they should be able to accommodate the continuation of your studies, especially if your employer is in agreement.

If you're determined to continue your studies whilst on maternity leave, you could look into appealing their decision - as long as it's what you want to do

I hope things work out for you - but let me know how it goes!
Batik111
Rep:
?
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Have the university provided a reason as to why you have to stop?

With the current situation and, I'd imagine, still a lot of distance learning taking place once September comes around, I think they should be able to accommodate the continuation of your studies, especially if your employer is in agreement.

If you're determined to continue your studies whilst on maternity leave, you could look into appealing their decision - as long as it's what you want to do

I hope things work out for you - but let me know how it goes!
Thanks for your response!
I definitely want to carry on especially because of the distance learning which would make it even easier for me...
The uni is saying that the issue relates to the Off-The-Job training hours, i.e. an Apprentice can’t get OTJ if they’re not in work, and receiving OTJ is an eligibility criteria for the apprenticeship. Obviously being on maternity leave I won’t be in work... so this is why according to them I should completely stop.

It’s so frustrating 😭
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Batik111)
Thanks for your response!
I definitely want to carry on especially because of the distance learning which would make it even easier for me...
The uni is saying that the issue relates to the Off-The-Job training hours, i.e. an Apprentice can’t get OTJ if they’re not in work, and receiving OTJ is an eligibility criteria for the apprenticeship. Obviously being on maternity leave I won’t be in work... so this is why according to them I should completely stop.

It’s so frustrating 😭
No problem!

So I've recently completed an apprenticeship and when I first started there were a couple of teething problems that meant I couldn't start OTJ training straight away, so I went on study weeks during that time. All it meant was that I had more time at the end of the year as the study course finished earlier in the year, so I could spend more time catching up with OTJ training.

It seems a little counterintuitive to suggest you stop both on and off the job training when you can (and clearly want) to continue with the studying aspect.

I'd definitely see if you can talk to someone else at the university and perhaps get your employer to support you
Batik111
Rep:
?
Thank you again. Do you know if there is a government helpline or something like this where I can get the clarification perhaps? I just seem to be going round in circle otherwise with everyone reading the rules as it best fits them...
Jules1808
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Did you get this sorted ?
Batik111
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jules1808)
Did you get this sorted ?
Sort of... In the end I had to stop for 4 months and was able to restart partially... So now I am using my KIT days to attend the workshop. I have lost a semester in total, I guess it could have been worse!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.26%
Virtual campus tours/open days (120)
23.35%
Live streaming events (46)
8.95%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (50)
9.73%
A uni comparison tool (120)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (115)
22.37%