The Student Room Group

Cavy's Career Crawl

Scroll to see replies

Hope you've had a good week Cavy :hugs:
Hope all is well Cavy abd that you are having a good Easter break :hugs:

I share your surprise that your wonderful blog didn't win an award :console:
04/04/21
Hello everyone, hope you are all having a nice bank holiday weekend - i know i'm personally very happy to have 4 days off to recuperate after all those shifts.
We are back on normal hours now which is a relief, the days are a bit longer but they dont feel that much longer what with the lighter nights and also two breaks rather than one.
I've been a bit stressed recently mainly because a lot of people i work with have been a bit discouraging. There is a real 'us and them' attitude and i just dont think that is helpful to anyone. Basically because im going into the offices that is seen as the 'dark side' a sort of joke that is semi-serious.
I got my start date from my manager (she had to agree to the date the design people suggested) and when people have been asking when do i start (because the whole world seems to know about it) i've been saying the end of april. To which people have been replying 'it will be months later than that'.
It got into my head so much that i ended up worrying about it and went to see my manager to put my mind at rest. She said not to listen to them, that i have my date and i will be going then. I asked her if i'm still going even if they dont find a replacement for me and she said yes as it wouldnt be fair to me if they held me back because of that.
At first i'm moving there two days then 3 days back in my current role, then the next week 3 days over there then 4 days until we get to 5 and it's full time. Just to ease me in gently.
People start moving to the new company site (which is a whole post on it's own - i am nervous about going) at the end of may. Apparently my current department starts going first followed afterwards by the offices and whatnot so i will be well in the new department by the time our move comes.
My mentor retired on friday so its just me and my coworker running the show now so that's a bit daunting :redface: i think it will be okay though, after all i'm only doing it for a few more weeks. Just got to avoid any disasters until then.
I'll make a separate post about the whole company site move thing, it's too long to go into detail right now.

Original post by Muttley79
Hope all is well Cavy abd that you are having a good Easter break :hugs:

I share your surprise that your wonderful blog didn't win an award :console:

Thanks muttley :hugs: hope you are too :smile:
Not surprised tbh, was just disappointed to not even place in the blog category as it was the only one i cared about but oh well :lol: haven't felt liked on here for ages so the awards just reflected that.
Love you lots and lots Cavy, and big well done on handling a lot of change in work over the coming weeks and months.
So sorry about me messing up last night, Cavy :frown: I hope you are able to read the last PM I sent you. Only when you feel better though: no rush or pressure to read, and no need to reply if you'd rather not :console:

Sounds like it's been stressful with your colleagues - am sorry.

Hope you are able to enjoy some sunshine today :hugs:
Original post by CoolCavy
04/04/21
Hello everyone, hope you are all having a nice bank holiday weekend - i know i'm personally very happy to have 4 days off to recuperate after all those shifts.

Thanks muttley :hugs: hope you are too :smile:
Not surprised tbh, was just disappointed to not even place in the blog category as it was the only one i cared about but oh well :lol: haven't felt liked on here for ages so the awards just reflected that.

Good to hear your shifts are ending :smile:

Don't worry about the 'dark side' comments - you get those when you move into 'higher roles'.:hugs:

There will be a bit of jealousy too.

I'm sorry you 'don't feel liked' - you are like me - you tell the truth about certain universities and their suitability - some posters 'hate' the truth being spoken.

Your blog is 'real' and I love it for that :grouphugs:
Hope you survived another week :hugs:
Hi everyone, i have a lot to update on. Was a bit stressed about something that is now hopefully sorted so that's why i have delayed the post.
I signed the contract today so it's all feeling a bit more real now :eek:

Hope you survived another week :hugs:

:jumphug: you too muttley :hugs:
We love you Cavy :lovehug:
Great news - update when you feel ready - :hugs:
Ooooh contract :colone:

Persephone sends hugs to alleviate stress :yep: = :penguinhug:
18/04/21
Hi everyone so this week coming will hopefully be my last full week before i start as a design engineer.
Things have been alright at work lately, a bit frustrating in parts because of my coworker but as i'm leaving anyway i dont see the point in getting het up about it. My group leader has the measure of her as do other people, i dont see how things are going to work when i leave to be honest. Without being arrogant now my mentor has gone i am the one keeping the inspection on the line afloat not so much in so far as i'm doing more physical inspecting than her moreso my organisation of documents, paperwork etc. However how stuff is going to work after i leave isn't my responsibility.
I am starting my transition period next monday, i've signed the contract and the financial form so it's all official now :eek:
The design department moves earlier than the factory floor (this was contrary to what we have been told before) which made me worried because there is a mini bus service being put on from a train station however i dont know if it would be put on before the factory floor moves as that's the majority of people i.e me on my own might not be enough demand.
I spoke to HR about that when i was signing the contracts and she said that design would start moving over on the 10th but there will be people still working at both sites i.e it's not an instant move. She said not to worry and that it would all work out so i'm hoping that's the case.
So as it stands i'm doing two weeks of transition starting next monday and then by the 10th i will be working over there full time. I just need to clarify the exact days i'm going i.e monday tuesday wednesday then monday tuesday wednesday thursday etc.
Ive ordered some smart shirts that are hopefully coming on friday.
I feel nervous tbh but im sure it will be ok :redface: i am excited in equal measure too though.
This weekend i have put down my own carpet and it looks much nicer, the radiator had been leaking into the floor so the whole thing had to come up and aired out for a couple of days. This new carpet is much nicer than the laminate floor that was there before.

Hope everyone has a good upcoming week :hugs:
Thanks for the update Cavy :smile:

I'm really delighted for you - this promotion is so well-deserved. I said you might get an opportunity like this :hugs:

Try not to worry - you've got the job on merit and you'll be brilliant ...

Hope all your pets are keeping well :grouphugs:
18/04/21
Hi everyone so this week coming will hopefully be my last full week before i start as a design engineer.
Things have been alright at work lately, a bit frustrating in parts because of my coworker but as i'm leaving anyway i dont see the point in getting het up about it. My group leader has the measure of her as do other people, i dont see how things are going to work when i leave to be honest. Without being arrogant now my mentor has gone i am the one keeping the inspection on the line afloat not so much in so far as i'm doing more physical inspecting than her moreso my organisation of documents, paperwork etc. However how stuff is going to work after i leave isn't my responsibility.
I am starting my transition period next monday, i've signed the contract and the financial form so it's all official now :eek:
The design department moves earlier than the factory floor (this was contrary to what we have been told before) which made me worried because there is a mini bus service being put on from a train station however i dont know if it would be put on before the factory floor moves as that's the majority of people i.e me on my own might not be enough demand.
I spoke to HR about that when i was signing the contracts and she said that design would start moving over on the 10th but there will be people still working at both sites i.e it's not an instant move. She said not to worry and that it would all work out so i'm hoping that's the case.
So as it stands i'm doing two weeks of transition starting next monday and then by the 10th i will be working over there full time. I just need to clarify the exact days i'm going i.e monday tuesday wednesday then monday tuesday wednesday thursday etc.
Ive ordered some smart shirts that are hopefully coming on friday.
I feel nervous tbh but im sure it will be ok :redface: i am excited in equal measure too though.
This weekend i have put down my own carpet and it looks much nicer, the radiator had been leaking into the floor so the whole thing had to come up and aired out for a couple of days. This new carpet is much nicer than the laminate floor that was there before.

Hope everyone has a good upcoming week :hugs:

That all sounds great Cavy, I'm glad things are going well for you :smile:
23/04/21
Hi everyone,

Have hopefully concluded my last ever full week as a quality control inspector :shock:
Its been a bit of a stressful and frustrating week to be honest as i really feel like im carrying the weight of our lines inspection work as i wrote last post but i just had to keep reminding myself that it wont be my problem soon.

I was also feeling pretty nervous and a little in the dark at the start of the week, i wasnt entirely sure what days i was working next week as i had been told different things.
This resolved itself on Thursday when we got paid, i wasnt given a payslip which tbh i wasnt too bothered about (the money still went into my account so) but my group leader got someone to come and give it to me. Apparently they were going to post it out as it had more stuff in it than the usual slip.

This stuff turned out to be something called a P45 which panicked me at first as i literally had no idea what to do with it and all the info looked serious and scary.

One of my coworkers that im really close to took me to see HR to sort out what i needed to do, apparently i didnt need to do anything :lol: HR just took the last two pages and i have to keep the 1st one in a safeplace.
While i was there i asked about the dates next week, as it happened design had sent an email to HR and my current manager last month saying what dates i was working on the staggered transition over here. I dont have a work email address (apparently this is getting sorted round there) so i hadnt seen this email. Anyway HR printed off the email for me so i have it all in writing now :smile:

Every couple of days our big boss comes round, apparently he is a couple below the CEO or something and he's really nice. He has guinea pigs so we always chatting about them.
I said to him today that i was a bit nervous so he said come with me and he took me over to the design department and introduced me to everyone. I know where i'm going to be sitting now and where to clock in and stuff.
He handed me over to the nice lady who interviewed me and she showed me around all the prototype machines and stuff. It looks really really cool, its nice too because there is a workshop where a few seamstresses are who make the prototypes so even though im leaving inspection im still going to be working closely with the machinists which is something i have enjoyed as part of inspection as they are super skilled and i really learn a lot about stitches and sewing from them.
Apparently im going to get a laptop (an old one for now as my new one is on the way apparently but i dont mind), a screen to take home if i need to work from home (no idea where im going to put that but still :lol: ) and ive been enrolled into an AutoCad training course at the end of may.
Apparently this used to take place with an outside company in a local building but cos of covid its online which is probably better to be honest as i'm used to that through uni.

I'm super excited now and i think i feel more excited than nervous, i have 5 days collectively left on inspection (3 next week, 2 the week after) until im there full time.
It felt kind of unreal as i was introduced as 'This is Cavy the new design engineer'. I've dreamed of this since GCSE and worked incredibly hard since then to achieve it, whether that was studying incredibly hard or battling my PD.
It's perfect really as i have an obsession with military history and the armed forces so marrying up design and my love for all that kind of stuff is a great job.

I know this new job will be a challenge but i think im ready for it, i love learning things and i think ive built myself up and gained a lot of tools to cope with my PD through DBT and just learning to manage it with things that make me happy like hamsters.

I feel really proud of myself for sticking with the inspector job, its a hard job to go straight into as your first ever job and i work with some quite initially intimidating people. Its been hard to keep going when i was doing all those crazy shifts during lockdown but ive done it and came through the other side. Honestly i cant say i know too many people my age who would have kept with it like i have, ive seen people start and then leave but ive done 8 months and been good at it too. I've not come in with heirs and graces because i have a degree, ive got on with it and grafted.

Graduating in a pandemic definitely through a curveball in terms of job oppourtunities but i wouldnt change it now, i didnt do a year in industry (which im really glad about as had i then i would still be at uni now when there has been no face to face contact for the entire year which is problematic in a design course) so i consider this 8 months i've done now as that vital experience i was missing.

Ive ordered a smart shirt from a site called big fish, i feel really happy with it as it's masculine but also fits nicely. I need to sort some trousers but my current ones i think are okay for now.

Next time i update it will be after my first day as a design engineer :eek:

(edited 2 years ago)
I am so pleased to read this Cavy - you are doing amaazingly well and so deserve this:hugs:
Sounds good :smile:

P45 = a form you get when you leave a job. Not sure how it works when you change role within the same company. It says what you've earned and what tax you've paid
P60 = the form you get at the end of the tax year (which ended at the beginning of April). Says the same thing, but over the course of the year
I am so pleased to read this Cavy - you are doing amaazingly well and so deserve this:hugs:

Thank you muttley :hugs: really appreciate all your support

Original post by Interrobang
Sounds good :smile:

P45 = a form you get when you leave a job. Not sure how it works when you change role within the same company. It says what you've earned and what tax you've paid
P60 = the form you get at the end of the tax year (which ended at the beginning of April). Says the same thing, but over the course of the year

Yeh that's what made me panic as well since it said leaving on it :colondollar:

HR said its because im moving over from hourly to salaried pay so apparently its like a different pay roll. Does it count the entire time you have worked there or just what you have earned in the new tax year (which is april i think :curious: )
Thank you muttley :hugs: really appreciate all your support

Yeh that's what made me panic as well since it said leaving on it :colondollar:

HR said its because im moving over from hourly to salaried pay so apparently its like a different pay roll. Does it count the entire time you have worked there or just what you have earned in the new tax year (which is april i think :curious: )

Tax year is april :smile:

It counts across the year in however many jobs you have. Sometimes you might need a refund at the end of the year but HMRC is pretty good at adjusting as you go now to make sure you pay the right amount of tax
(edited 2 years ago)
Best of luck with starting the new role Cavy!

Quick Reply

Latest