How to go about getting Diagnosed with depression

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I’ve wanted to get help but I’ve always pushed things away and denied I have a problem until recently where things have noticeable gotten worse and worse to the point where I don’t feel like I can carry on much longer the way I am, if I’m honest and obviously this is just my self diagnosion, think I have both anxiety and depression, how do I go about getting this properly diagnosed, like what do I see when I go to a GP? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question,
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You could talk to your GP, that sounds like a good idea.
Im sorry your feeling this way. Its best to avoid self diagnoses, but I think you should get some help regardless :hugs:
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Speak to your GP about how you're feeling, and how it impacts you. And what you want to do to change it (therapy, medication, etc.). Keep in mind though, that a diagnosis is useless if you don't do anything with the new found knowledge or access to services.
dharma_redox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
When you see your GP tell them you think you may be depressed and/or have anxiety, they will give you a questionnaire and ask questions, maybe prescribe medication
i've been to see a doctor for this many times, and i was on medication for years, one doctor i was seeing told me they don't think i need the label/diagnosis of depression (i always had 'depressed mood' written) and i wasn't sure but after few years i agree with him; although i am still not completely sure i am better off without a formal diagnosis i feel like i don't necessarily need one, and if i wanted to try going on meds again i could do so without the diagnosis

After seeing your doctor you will be in better position to decide whether or not getting diagnosed is good for you
I'm sorry you are feeling like this, i know it's difficult, don't give up, have hope for future and do reach out for help

Best wishes
Last edited by dharma_redox; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (143)
42.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.64%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.36%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (71)
21.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.97%

Watched Threads