Report 4 weeks ago
Just as necessary as this post
rxyaltyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
idm school uniform because i didn't have to pick out what to wear everyday
it also prevents people from wearing anything inappropriate it (saying this while thinking about the girls in my school)
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
most school uniforms aren't extremely comfortable but i think they're necessary. it gives the school a form of etiquette and sensibility.
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Amelia 123)
Just as necessary as this post
your pfp 😭😂
username4247768
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rxyaltyx)
your pfp 😭😂
hahaha just realised mel looks like shes taking a dump, or doing something else a bit rude :dong:
OxMus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perennial question, but yes, absolutely.
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Amelia 123)
hahaha just realised mel looks like shes taking a dump, or doing something else a bit rude :dong:
haha i love it :rofl3:
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think no. Every time I’ve asked a teacher why we need to wear uniforms I’ve heard two arguments:
1. In life, you have to wear a uniform for work and so we’re getting young people used to this now
2. It prevents inequality because finically less-well off students don’t have to worry about being bullied for not having ‘nice’ clothes or for wearing the same clothes a lot and it’s cheaper in the long run for them.

Well my answers to those are as follows:
1. No. Some jobs you have to wear a uniform yes, but most careers you simply need to follow a dress code. Not everybody has to look and dress exactly the same.
2. Have you seen how expensive some school uniforms are? Jesus. How is that cheap? For the price of one uniform that students will no doubt grow out of really quickly because hello, puberty, I could do a whole shopping spree at Primark. And guess what? Everyone shops at Primark. It’s cheap and it’s actually quite trendy. So finically less well off students could shop at Primark and get nice clothes. And, some students get a uniform allowance or discount where their school uniform is mostly paid for them. Well. If you can give students an allowance to purchase a uniform each year, surely you could still give them an allowance but in form where they can buy regular clothes that are school appropriate. I didn’t have a uniform at sixth form but still had to follow a dress code (ie no shredded or ripped jeans, no club like clothing etc. Just basic common sense really.)

I think that uniforms are a waste of money and that students should be allowed to wear their own clothes. Those that need financial help should be allowed vouchers for stores like asda George or Primark etc. It allows students to actually be comfortable and express themselves and makes them feel like actual individual human beings instead of a collective group of robots.

I don’t think they are necessary at all. I mean look at uni. Uni students don’t wear uniforms and they seem to learn and get degrees just fine. What is the real purpose of uniforms?
Dell PC
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This sounds like question you would get on an English language paper. :lol:
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't mind school uniforms, it saved me the hassle of having to choose what to wear everyday and worrying about whether anyone will notice me wearing the same outfit as 2 days ago :lol:
It also just looks better imo if everyone is wearing something similar for example, in school photos.
And once you finish school it's a nice memory to have (or am I the only weirdo who kept my old blazer? :innocent:)
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do wonder with the “financial equality” argument, surely in the long term it would be more beneficial for the poorer families to be able to buy smart clothing that can be worn outside of a school setting also. Eg. Smart blazer, shirt; trousers.

School branded uniform makes the clothes unifunctional and essentially “locking” money into them.
Anonymous17!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
I do wonder with the “financial equality” argument, surely in the long term it would be more beneficial for the poorer families to be able to buy smart clothing that can be worn outside of a school setting also. Eg. Smart blazer, shirt; trousers.

School branded uniform makes the clothes unifunctional and essentially “locking” money into them.
Exactly. The only thing from my school uniform I’ve kept is my trousers because I wear them for job interviews etc. It would be more financial viable to invest in clothes that students can wear outside of school too
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
Exactly. The only thing from my school uniform I’ve kept is my trousers because I wear them for job interviews etc. It would be more financial viable to invest in clothes that students can wear outside of school too
I used the white shirts and trousers post-school also for job interviews until I grew out of them

Blazer however went into the bin almost immediately after finishing Year 11. Kept my house tie though 😌
Anonymous17!
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
I used the white shirts and trousers post-school also for job interviews until I grew out of them

Blazer however went into the bin almost immediately after finishing Year 11. Kept my house tie though 😌
I also kept my tie just for the memories 😂 I didn’t use the white shirt because it’s just not my style and it was uncomfortable. Nothing worse then going into an interview not feeling yourself and feeling uncomfortable. And the blazer was chucked straight in the bin too
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i kept my tie that's it
but my step sister got my blazer as a spare one for her
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
2. Have you seen how expensive some school uniforms are? Jesus. How is that cheap?
The point is not being cheap, the point is to make everyone look the same, so kids focus on different things than something as shallow as clothes.
anaindiemood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
School is a place for education so that should be the sole focus. By implementing a school uniform that means all students are automatically put more on a level without digressing from their education. If there weren’t a school uniform people’s clothing choice might reflect certain backgrounds unfairly, I guess a uniform just keeps everyone equal and stops things like the “rich kids” looking poorly on people who can’t afford certain clothes and stuff.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Actually love uniforms, saves me having to think of what to wear and gives you a few more minutes in bed = ABSOLUTE WIN
Wiggly
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, they're essential as they assist with shaping children into good habits, whereby caring for clothing and looking all smart and lovely.

However, anything bearing the school logo should be subsidized by the school. There is variety in plain black trousers/shoes in terms of cost, and they can be saved for use outside the school, so being made to pay for those is understandable. But I don't think parents should have to pay for incredibly specific jumpers and things that have the school logo on, which have no other real use outside school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (177)
38.06%
Take autumn exams (143)
30.75%
Look for a job (16)
3.44%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.52%
Take a year out (80)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
6.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed