Rishi Sunak criticised for owning £180 smart mug

Watch
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Rishi Sunak is being critiqued for being pictures with a £180 smart mug. Honestly, does anyone actually care!? He's one of the most important men in this country, if he wants a nice mug so bet it.

Many people could afford one who do much less, myself included. Politics confuses me sometimes.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...costs-22317857
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
the mirror crack'd. what a pitiful excuse for a newspaper. i would not use it as a coaster for my low tech coffee cup
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by xDron3)
Rishi Sunak is being critiqued for being pictures with a £180 smart mug. Honestly, does anyone actually care!? He's one of the most important men in this country, if he wants a nice mug so bet it.

Many people could afford one who do much less, myself included. Politics confuses me sometimes.

It's not politics, it's *****y media. It's a complete non story that only exists to drive clicks to the Mirror's site and build up advertising fees.

Don't give them the exposure.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by xDron3)

It's The Mirror, and it's raison d'être is to play identify politics. Ignore it.

He earnt a fortune in the city. If he wants a £1800 mug then so long as he's bought it with his own money, then it's entirely his own business.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Whilst I think it is a waste of money, at least he has a clue about his job. Unlike the Prime Minister and almost all of the cabinet.
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It's not politics, it's *****y media. It's a complete non story that only exists to drive clicks to the Mirror's site and build up advertising fees.

Don't give them the exposure.
I wanted a reference article, a lot seems to be doing the rounds on twitter in regards to this but is obviously hard to cross-quote.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mr Sunak can own a platinum mug with a unicorn horn handle controlled from the International Space Station for all i care.
chocolate_fan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Breaking news! Second most important politician in the UK has a nice coffee mug! This is tragic for all those working on minimum wage!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Name:  rishimug2.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  54.6 KB
yzanne
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
there's people dying, people homeless, people losing their jobs, people with mental health problems, economy is flailing, but no.

rishi sunak has a smart mug.

read that again.
Calibrated.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you are going to waste £180 of your own money on a mug imagine how easily you'll squander other people's money.

Everything about his short tenure so far suggests he'll become one of the most profligate chancellors in history.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The left criticising people on the right for spending their money on material items? Certainly not!
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good advertisement for it
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Non-story aside, what the hell is a "smart mug"? :confused:
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The real waste of money is the salary paid to whoever wrote this crap.

I honestly couldn't care less if Rishi Sunak of all people decides to spend £180 of his £153,072 salary on a flipping mug.

If anything... now I know this exists and had a look into it, I might even buy one too!
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There's so much ELSE he's actually doing as Chancellor but we're wasting time fannying about over a frigging mug.

Next up: Some bloke on furlough has a Nespresso machine.

*gasps*
chocolate_fan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Non-story aside, what the hell is a "smart mug"? :confused:
Bluetooth controlled mug that can change its temperature.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is anyone actually criticising him, or are they criticising the whole "journalism as a form of advertisement" going on?

(Original post by Reality Check)
It's The Mirror, and it's raison d'être is to play identify politics.
Ignoring that this isn't identity politics, pretty much all politics is identity politics, it's just if that identity is normalised everyone ignores it. No-one shouts about identity politics when parties wait hand and foot for OAPs or the uber-rich.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Ignoring that this isn't identity politics, pretty much all politics is identity politics, it's just if that identity is normalised everyone ignores it. No-one shouts about identity politics when parties wait hand and foot for OAPs or the uber-rich.
The article draws attention to the cost of a present given to Rishi Sunak and goes on to focus on how long a young person on a minimum wage would need to work to earn that amount. It's moving away from a broad, wide approach to the economic fallout of the coronavirus and how the government is supporting the economy to focus on a smaller group of people and their issues, namely 18-year-olds on the government's work placement scheme.

How is that not 'identity politics'?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by FRS500)
The real waste of money is the salary paid to whoever wrote this crap.

I honestly couldn't care less if Rishi Sunak of all people decides to spend £180 of his £153,072 salary on a flipping mug.

If anything... now I know this exists and had a look into it, I might even buy one too!
I think they sound like a great idea - I might get one myself actually!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (191)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (287)
50.17%
I still don't know (94)
16.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise