ira.m
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is it a good idea to do an apprenticeship in dental nursing and then go into undergrad dentistry?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What is your logical reasoning for doing this? Why not just go into undergrad dentistry straight away?
ira.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
What is your logical reasoning for doing this? Why not just go into undergrad dentistry straight away?
Due to how my grades are going and my anxiety getting worse and me stressing out over and over. I was finding alternative ways to get into dentistry so i can ease myself and be more comfortable of applying to dentistry with confidence, I really want to apply but i just cant due to my mental health and also with how I couldn't get placements in order to get work experience due to corona virus making it harder for me to write my personal statement. I could alternatively take a gap year and get relevant work experience however this seems more of a better option as I see it being more practical.. for instance i will be getting the experience needed and working in a dentistry environment.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ira.m)
Due to how my grades are going and my anxiety getting worse and me stressing out over and over. I was finding alternative ways to get into dentistry so i can ease myself and be more comfortable of applying to dentistry with confidence, I really want to apply but i just cant due to my mental health and also with how I couldn't get placements in order to get work experience due to corona virus making it harder for me to write my personal statement. I could alternatively take a gap year and get relevant work experience however this seems more of a better option as I see it being more practical.. for instance i will be getting the experience needed and working in a dentistry environment.
I would agree with your second option of taking a gap year and hopefully using that time to secure work experience, boosting your academic confidence and working on your mental health.

I’m in my third year of dentistry at Barts and I’ll be honest that I haven’t heard of a single dental nurse who has then progressed to being a dentist later on. I’m not saying it’s an impossible feat, but to actually secure a place in dental school, the requirements will always demand evidence of high academic achievement (the entry requirements have gone up in recent years which doesn’t make it any easier). Entering dentistry straight away as an undergrad is probably the most straightforward and least expensive way of becoming a dentist imo.

Dentistry is also a rigorous and demanding course in many aspects so I’d definitely advise you to put your mental health first

If you need any support about getting into dentistry or questions about exams etc, feel free to message me
ira.m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I would agree with your second option of taking a gap year and hopefully using that time to secure work experience, boosting your academic confidence and working on your mental health.

I’m in my third year of dentistry at Barts and I’ll be honest that I haven’t heard of a single dental nurse who has then progressed to being a dentist later on. I’m not saying it’s an impossible feat, but to actually secure a place in dental school, the requirements will always demand evidence of high academic achievement (the entry requirements have gone up in recent years which doesn’t make it any easier). Entering dentistry straight away as an undergrad is probably the most straightforward and least expensive way of becoming a dentist imo.

Dentistry is also a rigorous and demanding course in many aspects so I’d definitely advise you to put your mental health first

If you need any support about getting into dentistry or questions about exams etc, feel free to message me
Thank you for the advice. I have messaged you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.49%
I'm not sure (51)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (331)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed