Starting at Oxford Brookes and Coronavirus

Watch
Lipstick Plant
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey, so Oxford Brookes is one of the unis I'm considering at the moment for September but wanted to know what their plans were for Autumn and Freshers with the pandemic? Would really like some more information so I can make a decision compared to other unis im thinking of
Akuma
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good luck getting a straight answer on that.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post88977886
Last edited by Akuma; 4 months ago
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lipstick Plant)
Hey, so Oxford Brookes is one of the unis I'm considering at the moment for September but wanted to know what their plans were for Autumn and Freshers with the pandemic? Would really like some more information so I can make a decision compared to other unis im thinking of
Hello Lipstick Plant,

Hope you are doing well! We are excited to hear that you are considering Oxford Brookes University!

The University has a web page on their website for applicants with information to help answer some questions prospective students may have, especially in the current climate. A link to this is: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/alerts/cor...or-applicants/

Some of the current plans stated by the university are as follow and can be found on the above mentioned web page, under the 'Plans For September' section:

'At present, all of our September-start courses are due to run with adaptations to fit the current situation. We are aiming to open our campuses as fully as possible in September with measures in place to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff.'

'It is unlikely that large, face-to-face lectures will be possible. We have therefore taken the decision that large lectures will be delivered through high-quality, online learning. However, you will be on campus for individual and small group learning with your peer group. On-campus meetings with your academic advisor will also be available and we can reassure you that for all these interactions, appropriate safety arrangements will be in place. Teaching methods are likely to vary from course to course and we are aiming to give you more information soon.'

'You will be on campus for individual and small group learning with your peer group. This means on campus meetings with your academic advisor will be available. Where social distancing allows, you will be able to use facilities such as our cafes and safe social activity through the Brookes Union clubs and societies. We can reassure you that for all these interactions, appropriate safety arrangements will be in place.'

I would recommend keeping an eye on the above stated web page, for any updates.

I hope this information will be of use to you! If you have any other questions about the University or about Student Life; then please do feel free to ask. We would be more than happy to help!

All the best,

Shaf
8Dave8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Their plan is to get you to move into halls so they can charge rent for an online course. This is from an email sent to all students.

A number of students, who have left University managed accommodation to return home, have asked if refunds of rent will be made. At this point, no decisions have been taken with regards to release from accommodation contracts, but this is under review by the senior leadership team of the University.

Financially, this is an enormous decision for the University; annual rents from University managed-accommodation make up over 10% of our total annual income and make a significant contribution towards the running costs of the University, including funding academic staff and campus services. Not all universities are in this position - many universities do not own as much of their student accommodation as Oxford Brookes, and this makes our situation more complex than for other universities (some of whom have already made a decision to refund rents).
Last edited by 8Dave8; 4 months ago
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello everyone - for those wanting to hear about how people are finding life on campus under covid restrictions check out this new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1q_rCumdk
Geo55
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hello everyone - for those wanting to hear about how people are finding life on campus under covid restrictions check out this new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1q_rCumdk
Why isn't Arthur Petan in the video?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads