Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
What is a Placement Year?

A placement year at Hope is one academic year spent in the workplace as part of your degree. Placement students will complete two years of study on their course and then embark onto their placement year, followed by their third year of study.

A placement year works out as the equivalent to nine months’ worth of full-time work, 1200 hours. Your placement year is carried out on yours and your employer’s terms, having 15 months to complete the 1200 hours’ worth of work. Even better, if you wanted the opportunity to work at two organisations, we can allow you to do two placements as long as it fit within the time frame.

There are so many benefits to taking a placement year and here at Hope, we have had some incredible feedback from our students:

“My placement year has given me life changing personal and professional experience. The opportunity has confirmed for career plans and developed my professional network.”

A placement year is offered to all undergraduate students and we do encourage students to undertake one because of the fantastic benefits:

1. A placement year can improve your final year grade by up to 3.8%

2. 36% of graduate jobs go to candidates who have already worked in the company

3. 80% of large graduate employers offer paid placements (normally around £16,000 - £24,000 per year). With Hope, we only advertise placements that offer a salary.

So how do you apply?

You can apply for a three-year degree and opt in for a placement year whilst on the course, or for certain courses you can apply for a degree with placement year from day 1!

Fees and Finance

The placement year benefits from reduced university fees, at £900 per academic year. This can be fully funded by Student Finance England. The fees pay for the support you receive before, during and after your placement year, plus your continued access to all university support services.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by kamielle)
Hi there
I have applied for Beng in software engineering with a placement year. I have applied for year 2 entry however I may be offered the option of entering in year 1.

This is due to the fact I am currently completing my year 1 in Computer science with Open University.

My question is if I am classed as having used 1 year student finance for doing 1 year with OU, then would I be able to do my degree with yourselves, and get funding for the years I was on campus and then pay for the placement year myself?

I am unsure if I will qualify for 3 or 4 years as it depends how Sfe will view my study at Open uni even though it is classed as part time. (I study full time 120 credits, but I had to apply for a part time tuition loan for it.

Thankyou

Kam
Hi kamielle :hello:

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

This way of funding your studies may be possible. I would advise that you contact our finance team who may be able to advise further. Their email is: [email protected]

I hope his helps1 If you have any questions, please let us know!

Melissa
kamielle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi kamielle :hello:

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

This way of funding your studies may be possible. I would advise that you contact our finance team who may be able to advise further. Their email is: [email protected]

I hope his helps1 If you have any questions, please let us know!

Melissa
Thankyou for your reply. From what I can make out if I study 120 credits and I am accepted Into year 2 then I should be fine. However If I only study 90 credits for year 1 entry that should be fine. However if I study 120 credits in year 1 with OU a few people have said they wont fund year 2 as I will already have this.
I will speak to your finance team. I am still waiting for an offer or rejection of yourselves. Fingers crossed.
Thankyou Melissa.

Kam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads