oliviablanche
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'd like to keep up my music interests ay Uni. Are there orchestras choirs etc and a good (classical) music life for students on other courses (such as accountancy)
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by oliviablanche)
I'd like to keep up my music interests ay Uni. Are there orchestras choirs etc and a good (classical) music life for students on other courses (such as accountancy)
Hi there - thanks for your question!

Bath has dedicated music facilities on campus in a new building called the Edge. It is an art, music and drama venue which is used extensively by students. You are also able to get a pass and request hire of personal music spaces to practice.

The Students' Union run several music societies. They are very active, appeal to a wide range of music tastes, abilities and instruments. I would recommend having a look through them here and seeing if any of them take your eye. You may particularly be interested in the Chamber Choir, MusicSoc and Choral and Orchestral Society!

Hope this helps 😊

Leah
3rd Year Chemical Engineering
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by oliviablanche)
Hi there,

I can see Leah has given you a good reply, but as I've used the Edge and been quite involved in the SU, I thought I'd add some extra detail.

As Leah said, The Edge is a building on campus specifically for the arts. There's an art studio, dance studio, gallery/exhibition space, theatre, orchestra/choir practice room, theatre and private music/band practice rooms. You can book the practice rooms for individual or group practice - I believe this is free, but if it isn't it would only be a very small fee. The Edge also offers music classes for a variety of instruments, as well as music production. These are also really affordable.

We have several music societies, such as MusicSoc and Chamber Choir, but I imagine if you are into classical music that you would prefer the Choral and Orchestral Society. I believe they meet regularly and practice in the orchestra room in The Edge, as well as having socials and putting on performances throughout the year.

There is also a music scholarship which might be worth checking out, if you're eligible You can find info on them here.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads