Worried about grades in Year 10- HELP!!!!!

Watch
QUEEN JOCE
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys, I have just gotten back my Year 10 mock results and they are a mixture of 5s and 6s- I tried really hard! For my actual GCSE's I would love to get all 8s if not all 9s. At this point I am REALLY worried. I would like to grow my grades. Seriously. So can someone please help me out on how I can do this. It seems no matter how hard I try I still can't get past the grade 6 mark. I aint giving up though, so I will take any advice that comes!Thanks, Jochebed
Cupcakehugs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
here are some questions
1) did you revise enough
if not write down the list of topics u need to revise and highlight the ones in red u struggle the most with. and then usinggoogle calendar block down some times torevise for these topics.
2)how did you revise? was it passive or active. passive revision is easy but VERY INEFFECTIVE. do active revision, try blurting, teaching your wall, use flashcards complete practise questions and exam qs.
3) how often did you revise? revising 5 topics in 3 hours is not effective, break it down, space learning and retrieval practise is important. revise for 1 hour on monday and then onThursday recap what u did.
4) were you distracted?
keep your phone away, block apps on your phone and on your laptop, do not revise while listening to music. if you struggle with procrastination, then block some time to proxrastinate, meaning have breaks.
Lottie7142
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QUEEN JOCE)
Hi guys, I have just gotten back my Year 10 mock results and they are a mixture of 5s and 6s- I tried really hard! For my actual GCSE's I would love to get all 8s if not all 9s. At this point I am REALLY worried. I would like to grow my grades. Seriously. So can someone please help me out on how I can do this. It seems no matter how hard I try I still can't get past the grade 6 mark. I aint giving up though, so I will take any advice that comes!Thanks, Jochebed
Hi, I'm a year 10 and I'm on for getting 9s and 8s (going into 11 also). I think that the quality of revision is always more important than quantity. If these are the grades you are getting currently maybe you should evaluate? What subjects are most important to you/what do you REALLY need the good grades on? Focus your energy on these first. I would also advise using your specifications off the exam board websites! Find out what you really need to know and if you make a list you can colour code for each topic the order of priority, always do your weakest first. You could also ask for personalised feedback from your teachers, after all, that's what their job is. I ask my teachers what areas of each essay I needed to work on and then make improvements and send it back for them to give even more feedback. Have you tried out different revision techniques as well? I've just discovered Blurting (you can look it up) but anything that is active recall is bound to help. I really believe that you can do it! If you have a particularly bad teacher for a certain subject and you realise you have obvious weak spots, maybe you could look at having one or two lessons with a tutor? I really didn't understand a whole chunk of one of my chemistry subjects and so last term I had a tutor for 4 lessons, who explained it really well. If you can afford it, you might find it to be really beneficial. I know I sure did! Finally, (and I don't think I can emphasise this enough) PAST PAPERS!! I know that some subjects don't have many available but you can always find practice questions on websites and/or ask your teachers for some to do in the holidays. Practising questions is sometimes the only way to improve, especially with subjects like English and Sciences where exam technique is extremely important. I hope some of this helps you, wishing you lots of luck!
fijitastic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The difference between GCSEs and A Levels is that GCSEs are like a memory test, the more you revise and the more time you spend doing effective revision (like teaching your family things you've learnt, or just general frequent revision) the better your grades will be. I didn't really revise much in Year 10 either but once i got into Year 11 I revised little but often and got really good grades in my mocks.
QUEEN JOCE
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Cupcakehugs)
here are some questions
1) did you revise enough
if not write down the list of topics u need to revise and highlight the ones in red u struggle the most with. and then usinggoogle calendar block down some times torevise for these topics.
2)how did you revise? was it passive or active. passive revision is easy but VERY INEFFECTIVE. do active revision, try blurting, teaching your wall, use flashcards complete practise questions and exam qs.
3) how often did you revise? revising 5 topics in 3 hours is not effective, break it down, space learning and retrieval practise is important. revise for 1 hour on monday and then onThursday recap what u did.
4) were you distracted?
keep your phone away, block apps on your phone and on your laptop, do not revise while listening to music. if you struggle with procrastination, then block some time to proxrastinate, meaning have breaks.
Thank you so much for your advice I think I did but the truth is I don't know HOW to revise like what revision techniques would you recommend for a visual learner?
QUEEN JOCE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lottie7142)
Hi, I'm a year 10 and I'm on for getting 9s and 8s (going into 11 also). I think that the quality of revision is always more important than quantity. If these are the grades you are getting currently maybe you should evaluate? What subjects are most important to you/what do you REALLY need the good grades on? Focus your energy on these first. I would also advise using your specifications off the exam board websites! Find out what you really need to know and if you make a list you can colour code for each topic the order of priority, always do your weakest first. You could also ask for personalised feedback from your teachers, after all, that's what their job is. I ask my teachers what areas of each essay I needed to work on and then make improvements and send it back for them to give even more feedback. Have you tried out different revision techniques as well? I've just discovered Blurting (you can look it up) but anything that is active recall is bound to help. I really believe that you can do it! If you have a particularly bad teacher for a certain subject and you realise you have obvious weak spots, maybe you could look at having one or two lessons with a tutor? I really didn't understand a whole chunk of one of my chemistry subjects and so last term I had a tutor for 4 lessons, who explained it really well. If you can afford it, you might find it to be really beneficial. I know I sure did! Finally, (and I don't think I can emphasise this enough) PAST PAPERS!! I know that some subjects don't have many available but you can always find practice questions on websites and/or ask your teachers for some to do in the holidays. Practising questions is sometimes the only way to improve, especially with subjects like English and Sciences where exam technique is extremely important. I hope some of this helps you, wishing you lots of luck!
Thank you for your advice
QUEEN JOCE
Rep:
?
(Original post by fijitastic)
The difference between GCSEs and A Levels is that GCSEs are like a memory test, the more you revise and the more time you spend doing effective revision (like teaching your family things you've learnt, or just general frequent revision) the better your grades will be. I didn't really revise much in Year 10 either but once i got into Year 11 I revised little but often and got really good grades in my mocks.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (20)
18.69%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (27)
25.23%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (60)
56.07%

Watched Threads