Will Fairey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello people,

I am in year 12 and taking maths, physics and geography at a-level. Recently I have been told by my geography teacher to start thinking about title ideas for our NEA work starting next year.

I have found it hard to think of ideas as I don't have a specific area of interest within the subject. Although I think I would like to base it roughly around trees, forests/woodlands or topography though I am open to considering anything. I have failed so far to make any progress with an actual hypothesis/question so any advice or help to form an actual title would be great. Cheers
geog07
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hey, i'm in year 13,i did Geography, biology and chemistry, when looking at the NEA title make sure its specific and clear, so choose the location and possibly do a comparison between another place nearby (ie woodland area, meadow,) From this you can do surveys on the amount of plant species and link into the idea of reaching a climax community. You could also do transects and record Ph balance of the ground to compare between the locations and look at the optimum for tree and plant growth. Within this idea you can look at carbon stores and water stores between the sites.
I ended up doing mine mostly on coasts so didn't really look at the data you can collect from wooded areas.
But try and find something you enjoy as it can end up being a really long ongoing task!!
When doing the NEA make sure to record things that can be used in statistical tests (spearman's rank, chi square etc), and when using a transact and recording, try and put the information onto a GIS map to analyse. I hope some of this helped
Last edited by geog07; 4 months ago
ashrawlinson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by geog07)
hey, i'm in year 13,i did Geography, biology and chemistry, when looking at the NEA title make sure its specific and clear, so choose the location and possibly do a comparison between another place nearby (ie woodland area, meadow,) From this you can do surveys on the amount of plant species and link into the idea of reaching a climax community. You could also do transects and record Ph balance of the ground to compare between the locations and look at the optimum for tree and plant growth. Within this idea you can look at carbon stores and water stores between the sites.
I ended up doing mine mostly on coasts so didn't really look at the data you can collect from wooded areas.
But try and find something you enjoy as it can end up being a really long ongoing task!!
When doing the NEA make sure to record things that can be used in statistical tests (spearman's rank, chi square etc), and when using a transact and recording, try and put the information onto a GIS map to analyse. I hope some of this helped
Hi what did you do your NEA on for coasts? I'm currently trying to think of some sub questions and where I want to focus on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (597)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (734)
41.68%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (351)
19.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed