Turn on thread page Beta

Missing my little brother and sister... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure as to what the purpose of this thread is; I suppose I just need to 'let it all out'...

My parents split up when I was 7 (I'm now 24). My dad remarried about 10 years back, and had children with his new wife (a 7 year old sister and a 4 year old brother). A few years back, they moved to Scotland. It was all fine with me at the time, as it gave me more chances to visit Scotland, a country I adore. But recently it's been more difficult for me. The problem lies in the fact that I only really get to see my little brother and sister twice a year, and, to risk sounding clichéd, it's killing me.

I recently went on holiday to Spain with my dad's side of the family, and the time spent with them was truly one of the best times of my life. I absolutely adore being with them (I've bonded with my little brother terribly well...); saying goodbye to them at the airport was actually one of the worst feelings I've experienced. I started a part-time job three weeks ago to get some money to go and see them before university, but I found out I actually get paid in a month's time, a week before I go back to uni., so it's looking like I won't see them again until December.

Twice a year just isn't enough (and when I see them, it's usually only for a week - 10 days at a time). Not at all. I feel like I'm missing their childhood, and I worry about the impact it may have on their lives. :s

Dan...

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that. It must be really hard. Does your Dad's side of the family visit often? If your finding it hard seeing them i guess you could invite them over to come see you and spend some time with you more often? If thats possible. I'm not sure what else i guess theres always calling and keeping in contact via email regularly etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thx for the reply...

Nah, they don't come to England often at all; only my dad does, either on business trips, or to visit me or my full sister (who's 20) on our birthdays or on some other important occasion.

Them coming to stay here wouldn't be feasible, because I'm living with my mum again for economical reasons. Also, time off work for my dad and his wife, and time off school for the kids, is one big mess; clashes et al.

My sister (the 20 year old) is possibly having my 7 year old sister stay with her in London at some point, but I don't think it will happen for a while; the worry of her travelling down on a plane on her own is a bit much for my dad and especially his wife, which is fully justifiable.

Just need to see 'em again. Can't wait until December to see them for a matter of days. Has to be before going back to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Awww
    There isn't much you can as you will be away at Uni.
    The best way to see each other is for them to come to yours and you go to theres?
    That way you'll be able to see them 4 times instead of 2.

Also do Uni students get summer holidays?
    Couldn't you stay with them at summer?

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Atomik

Thx for the reply...

Nah, they don't come to England often at all; only my dad does, either on business trips, or to visit me or my full sister (who's 20) on our birthdays or on some other important occasion.

Them coming to stay here wouldn't be feasible, because I'm living with my mum again for economical reasons. Also, time off work for my dad and his wife, and time off school for the kids, is one big mess; clashes et al.

My sister (the 20 year old) is possibly having my 7 year old sister stay with her in London at some point, but I don't think it will happen for a while; the worry of her travelling down on a plane on her own is a bit much for my dad and especially his wife, which is fully justifiable.

Just need to see 'em again. Can't wait until December to see them for a matter of days. Has to be before going back to uni.

Any chance of borrowing the money from your sister or mum? Then paying them back later.

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible for them to come and stay here, because I live with their mum, and it wouldn't exactly work having my dad's wife staying here. They also can't come down on their own, because they're far too young and would miss their parents a lot. That limits it to twice a year...

Aye, we get summer holidays. I've actually had four months of holidays this year. But skintness has hindered me from going up to Scotland to see them. Managed to go to Spain with them a few weeks ago; was going to visit them again this summer, but the job I started just under a month ago doesn't pay until a few days before I go back to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by free_the_mind)
    Any chance of borrowing the money from your sister or mum? Then paying them back later.
    I've not asked my sister because she's in Bali at the moment. I don't think she'd have the money to lend me after the holiday anyway...

Asking my mum's pretty much out of the question too, because she's going through financial difficulties at the moment.

My dad says he'll lend me money to visit when he gets paid. Only thing is, he doesn't know when he gets paid, and I have to give a minimum of two weeks' notice at work to go on holiday. The gap's closing because I go back to uni in the first week of October.

Appreciate the suggestions though...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.