A-level resits and applying after leaving school

Watch
vanillacoke
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’ve practically failed my A-levels while at school. I haven’t got my results yet but I know already they are going to be bottom of the barrel. I hope to resit and do much better but I am unsure wether to resit in the autumn or summer.

I would ideally like to resit next summer and apply with my best results afterwards but I sincerely doubt the school I’ve just left will help me with my UCAS then. I understand that I need references from the school but I’m unsure how long they are valid for? A year? Or can they be used indefinitely to apply through UCAS? I made the mistake of not applying while I was at school.

If anyone could give me some help it would be appreciated.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What I did, is a year after the first UCAS application which was successful etc, (but ultimately went to Switzerland) when I changed back to UK (for completely new course) I just asked my favourite teacher at my old school, and she updated my last-years UCAS profile. My “second” bite at UCAS wasn’t a big hassle, as all details were sorted out via Clearing/Adjustment anyway.

Schools are usually quite helpful to their ex-pupils

(You can eventually negotiate an application to a single uni, not using UCAS, following the way that some overseas students do it. A direct negotiation. There are also some “special offers in clearing, some degrees that require just a single A-level pass, for example)
Last edited by LuigiMario; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads