Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is private accommodation very expensive for students at Bath Uni? How easy is it to find accommodation after your 1st and does the Uni help out with advice at all? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is private accommodation very expensive for students at Bath Uni? How easy is it to find accommodation after your 1st and does the Uni help out with advice at all? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
Hi there,

It depends, honestly. Bath is know for being pretty expensive, as it's such a small city with 2 universities worth of students. Me and the people I know paid around ยฃ450-550 average per month on rent for private accommodation in 2nd and 3rd year in Bath. Most Uni of Bath students tend to live in and around Oldfield Park, as this is close to the city centre and has good access to the uni bus service, as well as being close enough to the university to cycle. Some people live further away from the city centre in cheaper places like Twerton, but I feel this is quite rare. It tends to be Bath Spa students who live in areas like Twerton, as their campus is outside the city anyway. All in all, the majority of Uni of Bath students live in and around Oldfield Park and city centre, so the rent is usually ~ยฃ450-550 average. The only people that I know who paid less than that either lived further away, or in not as nice houses (i.e. all single bedrooms).

It's worth keeping in mind the other costs that you'll have when you move into private accommodation, as your bills and wifi are all included in the cost of university accommodation. There'll be wifi, gas/electric bills, water bills, potentially parking permits if you have a car, and a bus pass. To give you an idea, this was what I paid on average last year for those other expenses:

- Virgin Wifi 12 month contract, shared between 4 people was about ยฃ9-11 per month
- Gas/electric bills were around ยฃ10-15 per person each month, but went up to abut ยฃ20-30 per person in the winter if people used the heating. I was with Octopus Energy who are a green energy supplier, and they're really cheap. I know people who paid a lot more than I did, so it's definitely worth comparing providers. I personally would recommend Octopus or Bulb
- Water bills were ~ยฃ150 for the whole year each
- The university bus pass cost ~ยฃ350 for the academic year, which is pretty expensive (they seem to keep increasing it a bit each year).

Hopefully this has given you an idea, but it can obviously vary depending on your personal usage, housemates and house,

I would say that it's pretty easy to find accommodation after first year. Bath is a student city, so there's always loads of student rentals being advertised as early as November/December on sites like Rightmove and Zoopla. There's also a site called StudentPad, where you can look at exclusively student rentals, as well as post looking for housemates. The university has a private accommodation team who can support you with anything to do with private accommodation, be that reading through a contract or helping you find housemates. They also run sessions where people who need housemates can all meet

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Student Roost - Bath
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi
I hope you are keeping well.

It is quite easy to find accommodation in Bath, as people are often advertising on The Student Room as well as sites such as Hello Student or Unite Students. You may also find useful looking at The Depot - Student Roost website. We offer self-contained en-suite studios around 12 minutes on a bus from University of Bath. The price includes all the bills, Wi-Fi, so you don't have to worry about paying that separately. Also, our staff are on site 24/7, so should you have any questions or issue we are always here

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please let me know.
Klaudia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads