How difficult and time consuming is AS Level Further Mathematics?

Watch
llxke
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I was considering choosing an AS Level to accompany my 3 current A Levels, Maths, History, and Economics. I am attending a very regimental college who will drill me to do well hopefully - but I am unsure whether an AS Level to accompany my 3 A Levels will be a little too much of a workload? How gruelling and difficult is the AS Level and how much do you think it could aid me in trying to get into a good university for Degree level Politics / Economics / PPE? Thanks a lot.
Crimson7777777
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well I don't do the subject myself, but a lot of my friends do. They say it is very difficult. There's not getting around that. However, a lot of AS Further Maths is A-Level Maths (second year). So even if it cannot help your degrees (which it should bonus UCAS points are always good), it will definitely help A-Level Maths.

In terms of unis, it should be ok, just check the entry requirements. It's rare, but I have seen some that don't accept Further and Single maths together. Again rare, but worth a look

Good Luck
HolyDiver
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Not sure about the other questions but it is very difficult. I woudn't say that it's particularly time consuming, but you'll still want to spend a fair amount of time on it to wrap your head around it
thegeek888
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Here is the Edexcel AS Further Mathematics Specification: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...cification.pdf

If you do Edexcel, the books have solutions by the textbook authors who are usually the examiners. You have to do Core Pure Maths paper which has topics such as: Proof, Complex numbers, Matrices, Further algebra and functions, Further calculus, Further vectors and it is a 1 hour and 40 minutes paper and then 2 papers from the following:

Students take one of the following ten options:
2A: Further Pure Mathematics 1 and Further Pure Mathematics 2
2B: Further Pure Mathematics 1 and Further Statistics 1
2C: Further Pure Mathematics 1 and Further Mechanics 1
2D: Further Pure Mathematics 1 and Decision Mathematics 1
2E: Further Statistics 1 and Further Mechanics 1
2F: Further Statistics 1 and Decision Mathematics 1
2G: Further Statistics 1 and Further Statistics 2
2H: Further Mechanics 1 and Decision Mathematics 1
2J: Further Mechanics 1 and Further Mechanics 2
2K: Decision Mathematics 1 and Decision Mathematics 2

Option 2F: Further Statistics 1 and Decision Mathematics 1 OR 2H: Further Mechanics 1 and Decision Mathematics 1 is the best choice.

Most people I know do Further Mechanics 1 and Decision 1 Mathematics. By the way, remember Decision 1 Mathematics used to be an AS-Level option and questions have not changed much as the topics in Decision 1 Mathematics are mostly the same.

Further Mechanics 1 has only a few topics: Momentum and Impulse, Work, energy and power and Elastic collisions in one direction.

Decision 1 Mathematics: Algorithms, Critical Path Analysis and Linear Programming. It is not too difficult if you do past papers from January 2001. They are all similar questions.

Good luck and don't forget to use ExamSolutions, TLMaths and HegartyMaths. Physicsandmathstutor.com is also a useful website.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Muttley79
Tj1120
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by llxke)
Hi, I was considering choosing an AS Level to accompany my 3 current A Levels, Maths, History, and Economics. I am attending a very regimental college who will drill me to do well hopefully - but I am unsure whether an AS Level to accompany my 3 A Levels will be a little too much of a workload? How gruelling and difficult is the AS Level and how much do you think it could aid me in trying to get into a good university for Degree level Politics / Economics / PPE? Thanks a lot.
If you’re self teaching it’ll be quite difficult but if you’re being taught it it’s very doable, at least in my opinion. The topics seem impossible at first but after a bit they seem easy
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by llxke)
How good are you at Maths? An AS in F Maths might be useful and would complement your A levels. Further Maths is the only A level we allow as a 4th option.

Will you be taught it or self-studying it?
llxke
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
How good are you at Maths? An AS in F Maths might be useful and would complement your A levels. Further Maths is the only A level we allow as a 4th option.

Will you be taught it or self-studying it?
Hi, I’m a little erratic at maths as I show a good skill, and have got either a 7 or 8 in GCSE but I tendance to make stupid mistakes. I believe I will be taught it but I have contacted my college about it.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by llxke)
Hi, I’m a little erratic at maths as I show a good skill, and have got either a 7 or 8 in GCSE but I tendance to make stupid mistakes. I believe I will be taught it but I have contacted my college about it.
We look for an 8 to take FMaths...

Have you been set A level prep work for Maths?

I'd revise the GCSE from here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...eets&term=GCSE

Have a look at the AS here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...2017&term=Main
Tj1120
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by llxke)
What do you think you would’ve got if u sat the actual exam? If not a 9 the fm topics esp mechanics might be a bit much imo. My school didn’t let anyone without a high 9 take it and for good reason
gabriellaiul
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I do further maths alongside maths (obviously), physics and history and I would say that for me personally it doesn't take up too much of my time and I can say that it helps me a lot in normal a level maths and physics so I would say go for it. Btw I personally did not get a 9 in maths gcse and only got a middle 8 and I would say it is definately challenging but as long as you are willinmg to work at it you will be good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (178)
28.48%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.28%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.16%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.2%

Watched Threads