Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what universities think if you only do one Science? I'm starting AS levels in September and am def taking Maths, Geog and Economics. Was going to take English lit as a 4th but I don't think I'll enjoy it at all, so want to change it to Biology. Would universities ask me why I only took one when most people take a combination like Biology and Chemistry? Just need some advice!
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what you're going to do at university. If you're going to go for a more sciency subject, then only doing one may be a problem.
    However, if you're doing something else, I can't see why universities would question your subject choices. There's no rule that says if you're going to do science, you must do more than one

ReputationRep:
    No, universites will not mind at all, if anything it will make your application stand out in a good way as you won't have a 'typical' combination that thousands of other students will have. I did biology a-level and the skills you learn from it are very useful ... at the end of the day if you enjoy it, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Do more than one science and drop the useless geography. It's as useless as history. Doing more than one science opens up so many more doors in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Maths counts as a science to universities. Some top ones even judge Psychology as a science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ84)
    Do more than one science and drop the useless geography. It's as useless as history. Doing more than one science opens up so many more doors in the future.
    Don't listen to this. History is a hugely respected subject, as Geography is as far as I know.
    Do what you want to do, not what someone else thinks is 'useful' or 'respected'.

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell respects History?
    History is just fabrications of the past. Nothing more. Does nothing for today's world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ84)
    History is just fabrications of the past. Nothing more. Does nothing for today's world.
    I'm no fan of studying History myself (mainly because I'm useless at it!) but I can see the obvious advantages to it. History has a funny way of repeating itself, and it can teach us lessons from the past to help avoid situations in the future.
    There's also all the analytical and essay based skills that are gained from History, which is can be applied usefully to most other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ84)
    Eugh Christ, not you again. Please refrain from posting your nonsensical vitriol here, it's totally irrelevant to the thread...

OP, unless you're looking to do a science degree in the future, unis won't care that you do only one science...no more than they care if an applicant does only one language, only one humanity, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Don't listen to this. History is a hugely respected subject, as Geography is as far as I know.
    Do what you want to do, not what someone else thinks is 'useful' or 'respected'.
    DITTO.

If you do something because of it's status rather than whether or not you like it, you won't want to work as hard at it.

I'm planning to take Chemistry on it's own aswell and that's simply because I enjoy it. I want to go into something to do with English and History in the future so I wanted my other two subjects to be simply what I enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, there is NO WAY I am dropping Geog! I got an A* at GCSE and I actually like working for it, without trying to sound like a nerd. Just heard from some people that Biology is REALLY hard though, this is so complicated lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ84)
    I think today's world would be VERY different if we all learned from the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingshoes10)
    Thanks, there is NO WAY I am dropping Geog! I got an A* at GCSE and I actually like working for it, without trying to sound like a nerd. Just heard from some people that Biology is REALLY hard though, this is so complicated lol.
    I heard that Biology (OCR at least) is really easy! If you got a good grade at GCSE the A Level shouldn't be all that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let difficulty put you off. If you did well at science at GCSE, and are interested in the subject, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    I actually found Biology fairly easy, but fascinating too - so much more interesting than GCSE! Granted, there were hard parts, but I think my interest in the subject probably helped me to want to work at it and understand those bits properly.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what course/institution you go to.
    Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Geography can all be counted as Sciences in some places.

ReputationRep:
    All depends on the person - I found Biology no harder than Chemistry, Maths or Physics at A-level. I found General Studies hardest to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    I heard that Biology (OCR at least) is really easy! If you got a good grade at GCSE the A Level shouldn't be all that difficult.
    Biology is most certainly NOT easy, if you think taking it will be easy but look good because you are taking a science, then think again.

ReputationRep:
    Is MJ84 still creeping around giving his views on history

What's his problem? It's a useful subject that reminds us about the past, how it affects the present and informs us on how we should shape the future.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so say I wanted to do an Economics degree, would they be annoyed that I didn't have another essay subject?? Or am I being paranoid and I should just do Biology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    I think today's world would be VERY different if we all learned from the past.
    So your saying we do not learn from the past...hence...history is of no relevance.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.