Turn on thread page Beta

Why does a Christian believe that having a relationship with a non-Christian is wrong watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    its not wrong, it just makes sense. if you have certain values in life you would want your relationships to be with people who share those values. that doesn't mean that you have to see eye to eye on everything, but religion is pretty significant, especially if one is very religious. would you really want a partner who had completely different presppositions about the world and a completely different set of values? i mean, smart people look ahead and think "do i have a future with this person"...and with such different values, the answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    probably the main reason, and the reason a girl i know said she'd never go out with someone not Christian( so even not someone with another religion, they have to be Christian), is because she couldn't live with someone knowing that they would not be going to Heaven with her( pretty presumptuous if you ask me) and would be damned to hell.

You'd think if the God of the Bible did exist, he would understand that some people just can't see enough reasons to believe in him and would let them repent at death, which they obviously would. One minute he's all loving, next minute he's damning people to hell for having the wrong/no religion, i would laugh if Sikhism was the one true religion, my friend would be going to Sikh hell, assuming they have a version.

I'm a Christian and agree with the viewpoints of what other Christians have said. The majority of the reasons are selfless, since it could cause both parties pain in the future, but there is one major (in my view) selfish reason too...

For me, I'm a very -well - sexual person. And that means I like contact. But I also don't want to have sex before marraige. And then I fall for non-Christian guys. And want sex. But don't. But sooooo do. But won't. But can. But can't. Drives me insane!

And I'm pretty sure I would be lying if I said that it was just me with that conflict in my head.

So going out with someone with the same views and believes - and struggles! - can help you not to give in to "temptation" and break a promise you made yourself and God and such. You can support each other. Not saying it's 100% failproof though (but what is in this world?).

I dunno what I'm trying to say really, but I hope you get it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrock92)
    Because God says not to.
    Since when?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks to everyone who's answered. It's helped a little.

Yeah, as people have said, it does still grate a little, while I don't share the beliefs, I'd never criticise or belittle them, having been out with a Christian - though not of as strong beliefs as this one - before.

To those who were saying it's an excuse for her simply not liking me that much, I do hear where you're coming from, perhaps I'm wrong for trusting her, but I do, and I believe her when she says it's not an excuse.

Thanks all, something to think about.

Guess there's not much chance of changing her mind?
    No, I don't think so. I think you have to respect her position here. As a Christian, it's important to be honest and humble about the situation (showing humility in relationships is especially important from the woman), and therefore respect her decision. Of course you know it might make sense that it could be an 'excuse' for her not liking you- but that makes sense if a Christ centred marriage/relationship is the only thing Christians should pursue. So unfortunately I don't think you should pursue her. As the man here, I think actually you should tell her face to face, I completely respect the fact that you want a Christ centred man, and therefore I will not pursue you and you're free to find that man.

Perhaps, instead of thinking about this all negatively, ask yourself why Christ is so important in her life? Maybe ask her about that as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Since when?

(Original post by Sithius)
    Lol, where?

Negged.

EDIT: Seems I've already recently negged you, lol. I wonder why that could be?
    Do not be yoked with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
    - 2 Corinthians 6:14

Your sense of humour is indefatigable, Sithius. I could answer your question if you'd had the balls to leave a name when you did the negging.

ReputationRep:
    Do not be yoked with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Your sense of humour is indefatigable, Sithius. I could answer your question if you'd had the balls to leave a name when you did the negging.
    So we're now taking things out of context? That's great, I've never seen somebody do that before. :rolleyes: I could equally post up two lines, taking both out of context, and say 'Wow, they contradict each other and so this disproves the validity of the Bible!'.

How about you do a bit of studying of your own, not random plucking? What an embarrassment you are. Please never enter into a theological debate.

ReputationRep:
    I don't...

ReputationRep:
    So we're now taking things out of context? That's great, I've never seen somebody do that before. :rolleyes: I could equally post up two lines, taking both out of context, and say 'Wow, they contradict each other and so this disproves the validity of the Bible!'.

How about you do a bit of studying of your own, not random plucking? What an embarrassment you are. Please never enter into a theological debate.
    Rather than acting like you're the Pope, why don't you try and make some specific criticisms? I'd be happy to discuss them.

The above passage does exactly what it says on the tin. You can't twist the meaning of a verse unless there is provision for it set out in peripheral verses. In this case, there isn't, and so we take the meaning literally, which is "don't have a relationship with a non-Christian".

Even from a non-Biblical perspective, I still think it's pretty clear that such relationships are unjustifiable. Many other users have given excellent reasons for this in the thread which I'm sure you've read. Christian/non-Christian relationships just aren't conducive to the type of family/relationship that God seems to want.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite simple.

A christian puts God at the centre of their life. If you can't share that with the person you love, you will never truly connect.

It just doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than acting like you're the Pope, why don't you try and make some specific criticisms? I'd be happy to discuss them.

The above passage does exactly what it says on the tin. You can't twist the meaning of a verse unless there is provision for it set out in peripheral verses. In this case, there isn't, and so we take the meaning literally, which is "don't have a relationship with a non-Christian".

Even from a non-Biblical perspective, I still think it's pretty clear that such relationships are unjustifiable. Many other users have given excellent reasons for this in the thread which I'm sure you've read. Christian/non-Christian relationships just aren't conducive to the type of family/relationship that God seems to want.
    *sigh*

Seriously, instead of asking me (a non-Christian) why not ask someone who has more knowledge of the Bible? I don't have quotes on hand, but I know enough to realize when someone is twisting words (a phrase you kindly used) to fit their agenda. Why not post a bit more then just that sentence? Why not give us an insight into the history of Corinthians? It's origins, interpretations and such? Because then you will find how idiotic your post is.

HINT: It isn't something inspired by God.

Paul.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

Seriously, instead of asking me (a non-Christian) why not ask someone who has more knowledge of the Bible? I don't have quotes on hand, but I know enough to realize when someone is twisting words (a phrase you kindly used) to fit their agenda. Why not post a bit more then just that sentence? Why not give us an insight into the history of Corinthians? It's origins, interpretations and such? Because then you will find how idiotic your post is.

HINT: It isn't something inspired by God.

Paul.

Good luck.
    1. If you want to have a discussion then stop being a condescending *****ehorn.

2. I never twisted words. I posted the exact translation of the passage. If you don't believe me, you can go here:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...6;&version=31;

which has the entirety of 2 Cor 6, with numerous translations available. They all convey the same message.

3. As I said above, and in accordance with the basic principles of Bible study, unless you have a valid reason to adjust the meaning of a verse, you accept it as it is. I can't find a reason to (maybe that's because I'm too stupid or inept with regards to the history of the book and its author), and nor can you, so in as far as we can trust our own minds in this discussion (and if you're suggesting I become more educated in these issues before exercising judgment, then by that logic you could never believe anything until you were fully enlightened), the verse is to be accepted as it is, which is perfectly consistent with my above post.

ReputationRep:
    1. If you want to have a discussion then stop being a condescending *****ehorn.

2. I never twisted words. I posted the exact translation of the passage. If you don't believe me, you can go here:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...6;&version=31;

which has the entirety of 2 Cor 6, with numerous translations available. They all convey the same message.

3. As I said above, and in accordance with the basic principles of Bible study, unless you have a valid reason to adjust the meaning of a verse, you accept it as it is. I can't find a reason to (maybe that's because I'm too stupid or inept with regards to the history of the book and its author), and nor can you, so in as far as we can trust our own minds in this discussion (and if you're suggesting I become more educated in these issues before exercising judgment, then by that logic you could never believe anything until you were fully enlightened), the verse is to be accepted as it is, which is perfectly consistent with my above post.
    1. I speak only the truth. I'm sorry if you find that condescending.

2. What ever do you mean? You accused me of twisting words, so I too did the same. We are talking about interpretations of the passage, right? If not, then you had no business with such a remark in the first place. (In case you are curious of this, I direct your attention to your post in which you said 'You can't twist the meaning of a verse unless there is provision for it set out in peripheral verses'. Such an implication...)

3. Take another look at my hints. Letters of Paul cannot be taken as Godly inspiration. Another course for you in Bible Studies perhaps?

ReputationRep:

Doesn't really make sense that churches allow atheists, or even non-practicing Christians to get married in a church. Never liked the idea of the church allowing non-practicing Christian to marry anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Doesn't really make sense that churches allow atheists, or even non-practicing Christians to get married in a church. Never liked the idea of the church allowing non-practicing Christian to marry anyway.
    That's because one ambiguous verse doesn't speak for Christianity in its entirety.

I guess to the ignorant though...

ReputationRep:
    That's because one ambiguous verse doesn't speak for Christianity in its entirety.

I guess to the ignorant though...
    What I do find strange is that some Christians will not have a relationship with a non-Christian. Yet this practice is seldom practiced and you will see plenty of vicars conducting a marriage involving at least one non-practicing Christian. The way I see it, if they really like their strict views so much they can always live in the Holy Land. We can do without any further self-imposed segregation. Bad enough listening to users on here from 'other' backgrounds whose freedom has been restricted by their parents views whether it's because they are Muslim, Hindu or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in a long term relationship with a Christian, and though she's recently (four years in), expressed uncertainty about the future progress of our relationship because of her beliefs, I have every hope that we can work through them.
    Her main concerns are as above, I just won't be able to share that most important part of her life with her. In marriage I wouldn't be able to support her spiritually as a counsel or as someone to pray with as a Christian husband should. In life I wouldn't seek to be involved with her actively serving the church in the same way that she sees a number friends and role models around her doing as husband and wife.
    I'm a weak atheist, and at her behest have tried to get to know Christianity better, whether by attending church with her, or going to events such as Soul Survivor. None of them have really changed my views on God, and I can see it really hurts her that I don't take an active interest in attending church when I'm away from her.

ReputationRep:
    Because some "Christians" aren't great Christians, to be honest...

All you can do is respect her decision, and see where things go from there; any kind of pressure or guilt wont help matters much. Sounds like a pretty painful situation...

ReputationRep:
    1. I speak only the truth. I'm sorry if you find that condescending.

2. What ever do you mean? You accused me of twisting words, so I too did the same. We are talking about interpretations of the passage, right? If not, then you had no business with such a remark in the first place. (In case you are curious of this, I direct your attention to your post in which you said 'You can't twist the meaning of a verse unless there is provision for it set out in peripheral verses'. Such an implication...)

3. Take another look at my hints. Letters to Paul cannot be taken as Godly inspiration. Another course for you in Bible Studies perhaps?
    You were twisting the words! You refused to take the passage at face value, which I could have understood had you provided a justification. As yet, however, you haven't, other than to portray as some kind of Bible noob.

By the way, the letters were written from St. Paul. Maybe it's just me, but on a dubious issue of Christianity I'd rather take the explicit advice of a church-founding apostle.

ReputationRep:
    You were twisting the words! You refused to take the passage at face value, which I could have understood had you provided a justification. As yet, however, you haven't, other than to portray as some kind of Bible noob.

By the way, the letters were written from St. Paul. Maybe it's just me, but on a dubious issue of Christianity I'd rather take the explicit advice of a church-founding apostle.
    I know they were written by Paul, I slipped up and write to instead of of (see Letters of Paul). Big deal.

Nevertheless, you are missing the point that they aren't inspired by God; therefore your argument is massively problematic. Also, that verse is ambiguous. He isn't explicitly saying that you have to be a Christian, it could just be referring to the belief in God for example.

Are you now going to say Christians who have no problem with homosexuality aren't true Christians, because they don't follow a small reference written by someone who thought it to be wrong (nothing to do with God)? Again, what about the various things which contradict each other on issues throughout the Bible? Surely you must realize that a lot of these contradictions are born out of one man's views, not God's?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.