The Student Room Group

Medicine pre-reading book club?

Hiya, I’m looking to gain a further insight into medicine by pre-reading. Was thinking of setting up a virtual book club where people can discuss ideas and go through books together? Would anyone be interested?
Shoplifter
lolll if you've got your place I'd just chill till uni begins, trust me first year is nothing glamorous. Its just studying and the occasional talk with patients.
If you're going to read anything, pick things that are fun and interesting to read! This is Going to Hurt, rather than Grey's Anatomy!
Original post by ultimateradman
lolll if you've got your place I'd just chill till uni begins, trust me first year is nothing glamorous. Its just studying and the occasional talk with patients.

Lol I wish 😂😭I’ve not even applied yet. Would you not recommend the pre reading then?
Original post by Alittlemanshah
Lol I wish 😂😭I’ve not even applied yet. Would you not recommend the pre reading then?

Oh if you haven't applied definitely pre-read, I read the situation completely wrong. The book club is a good idea, read as many books as you can.
Original post by nexttime
If you're going to read anything, pick things that are fun and interesting to read! This is Going to Hurt, rather than Grey's Anatomy!

Oh ok! I’ll definitely have a look into these.

Thanks so much! 😊
Original post by Alittlemanshah
Oh ok! I’ll definitely have a look into these.

Ok I also thought you were saying you already had an offer. I'd just call that reading, rather than pre-reading!

This is Going to Hurt is not a great one then tbh - more entertainment than factual. I'd still stick to the popular science ones though. There are lots - Phantoms in the Brain etc. Keeping up to date with medical news is also a good idea.
Original post by nexttime
Ok I also thought you were saying you already had an offer. I'd just call that reading, rather than pre-reading!

This is Going to Hurt is not a great one then tbh - more entertainment than factual. I'd still stick to the popular science ones though. There are lots - Phantoms in the Brain etc. Keeping up to date with medical news is also a good idea.

Oops, my bad! 😂😭 Ahh I see, thanks for the recommendations any specific places you’d recommend to keep on top of medical news? 😊
sorry to barge in again but my suggestions for medical news would be BBC Health section, the medic portal blog part where they have weekly updates in health and the BMJ
Original post by stereotypeasian
sorry to barge in again but my suggestions for medical news would be BBC Health section, the medic portal blog part where they have weekly updates in health and the BMJ

Okidokes, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest