The Student Room Group

Physician Associate Sept 2021/Jan 2022 candidates

Hello,

I have not seen a thread for Physician Associate candidates for Sept 2021 or Jan 2022 for those students who are just about to enter final years at University in September.

So I study BSc Hons Biomedical Science at SHU, and I will be applying to Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield Hallam and Newcastle for Physician Associate.

I just need some healthcare related work experience and then I'll start applying!

Please feel free to post! I would love to see other candidates that are thinking of applying!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kingofpenguin
Hello,

I have not seen a thread for Physician Associate candidates for Sept 2021 or Jan 2022 for those students who are just about to enter final years at University in September.

So I study BSc Hons Biomedical Science at SHU, and I will be applying to Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield Hallam and Newcastle for Physician Associate.

I just need some healthcare related work experience and then I'll start applying!

Please feel free to post! I would love to see other candidates that are thinking of applying!

same I'm also waiting for a healthcare related experience. I applied to St john ambulance I'm waiting for their reply. Also I applied to QMUL but I'm waiting for my results.
Hello! I’m an offer holder for MSc Physician Associate Studies at UWE for August 2020, I have recently completed my undergrad biomed degree! In terms of experience I deffinetly advice you to shadow some PAs if you can, it will help you get a feel for the role and understand the profession better! It also helps you shine during your interview as the interviewers love it when you show thorough knowledge of the profession and it’s not just something you’re doing because you couldn’t get into med school. If you can’t find any PAs to shadow you can ring up hospitals and ask them directly, I know that PAs are always happy to have people shadow them as it’s a great way of promoting the profession! Volunteering in your local hospital and care home is also a good way of gaining wrk experience as it will teach you how to interact with patients, or alternatively you could work as a health care assistant and gain some patient interaction that way.

I hope this was helpful, good luck :smile:
Original post by user235
same I'm also waiting for a healthcare related experience. I applied to St john ambulance I'm waiting for their reply. Also I applied to QMUL but I'm waiting for my results.

Ah I see! Nice. I hope you get it.
Original post by WonderWoman98
Hello! I’m an offer holder for MSc Physician Associate Studies at UWE for August 2020, I have recently completed my undergrad biomed degree! In terms of experience I deffinetly advice you to shadow some PAs if you can, it will help you get a feel for the role and understand the profession better! It also helps you shine during your interview as the interviewers love it when you show thorough knowledge of the profession and it’s not just something you’re doing because you couldn’t get into med school. If you can’t find any PAs to shadow you can ring up hospitals and ask them directly, I know that PAs are always happy to have people shadow them as it’s a great way of promoting the profession! Volunteering in your local hospital and care home is also a good way of gaining wrk experience as it will teach you how to interact with patients, or alternatively you could work as a health care assistant and gain some patient interaction that way.

I hope this was helpful, good luck :smile:

Congratulations for the offer! And thank you for the advice.

Do you think carehome experience is good for PA if you can't manage to get NHS Hospital experience or a chance to shadow a PA?

And also how much in depth did you into your personal statement? I am beginning to start mine soon and dunno where to start.
Congratulations for the offer! And thank you for the advice.

Do you think carehome experience is good for PA if you can't manage to get NHS Hospital experience or a chance to shadow a PA?

And also how much in depth did you into your personal statement? I am beginning to start mine soon and dunno where to start.

Thank you!

Yes care home experience is certainly good for PA as it heavily involves interacting with vulnerable people and teaches you to work under pressure and over come challenging situations. You don’t have to go too in depth with your work experience if you can’t find much, it’s more about what you got out of it rather than how long you did it for. Quality over quantity! UWE expected people to have at least 4 weeks of work experience so check with the unis that you’re applying to for the minimum requirements. Volunteering is also a good way of gaining work experience and I’m sure you’ll deffinetly get a spot as a volunteer as hospitals need them - it might even help you meet or look for PAs across the hospitals that will let you shadow them, it’s always good to show more than one form of work experience. But if working in a care home is all you could find, as long as you reflect on what you got out of the experience and how it will help you towards becoming a successful Physician Associate then that’s all you will need :smile:.

In terms of the personal statement as I said above^ I talked about what I got out of my work experiences, so like working under-pressure, interacting with vulnerable people etc... I also talked about why I wanted to do the course - this is important you must know and show that you understand the profession well throughout your statement and how it will help better the healthcare system. They want to see that you’re in it for the right reasons! Most importantly you have to show them what qualities you will bring to the course and even the profession - this is where you talk a bit about yourself and tell your best skills and qualities, if you have any previous awards, nominations, extra curricular activities mention them. You could start off by saying what inspired you to do the course and then I’m sure it will begin to flow naturally and you’ll have yourself a fantastic personal statement!

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Original post by WonderWoman98
Thank you!

Yes care home experience is certainly good for PA as it heavily involves interacting with vulnerable people and teaches you to work under pressure and over come challenging situations. You don’t have to go too in depth with your work experience if you can’t find much, it’s more about what you got out of it rather than how long you did it for. Quality over quantity! UWE expected people to have at least 4 weeks of work experience so check with the unis that you’re applying to for the minimum requirements. Volunteering is also a good way of gaining work experience and I’m sure you’ll deffinetly get a spot as a volunteer as hospitals need them - it might even help you meet or look for PAs across the hospitals that will let you shadow them, it’s always good to show more than one form of work experience. But if working in a care home is all you could find, as long as you reflect on what you got out of the experience and how it will help you towards becoming a successful Physician Associate then that’s all you will need :smile:.

In terms of the personal statement as I said above^ I talked about what I got out of my work experiences, so like working under-pressure, interacting with vulnerable people etc... I also talked about why I wanted to do the course - this is important you must know and show that you understand the profession well throughout your statement and how it will help better the healthcare system. They want to see that you’re in it for the right reasons! Most importantly you have to show them what qualities you will bring to the course and even the profession - this is where you talk a bit about yourself and tell your best skills and qualities, if you have any previous awards, nominations, extra curricular activities mention them. You could start off by saying what inspired you to do the course and then I’m sure it will begin to flow naturally and you’ll have yourself a fantastic personal statement!

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Wow. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. 😊
Original post by ishfish
If anyone wants more information about Physician Associates, check out the Not A Doctor PA blog. Theres lots of information about applications, interviews, being a PA and more. Just type it into google :smile:

Hello

Thanks a lot. I will do!
Reply 8
Does anyone know what the interview process is like? I have an interview coming up with the University of Leeds so I'm feeling really nervous!
Original post by Userr123
Does anyone know what the interview process is like? I have an interview coming up with the University of Leeds so I'm feeling really nervous!

As far as I'm aware Leeds carry out MMI.

It would be nice to hear what sort of stations they are and what they are looking for.
Has anyone got an interview for UWE? And any advice from current UWE students on how to prepare for it? :smile:
Original post by Biomed1106xx
Has anyone got an interview for UWE? And any advice from current UWE students on how to prepare for it? :smile:

I have an interview for UWE! I’m wondering the same. When is yours?
Original post by Hazel254

Hi, when did you apply for the course?
Hello,

Hi, I’m also thinking of applying for the year 2022. But my BSc. is in Nursing (Learning Disability). I’m trying to decide if I should just remain in nursing and do the Adult Nursing MSc./PGDip programme or do PA?

my undergrad doesn’t have a lot of A&P, adult Nursing probably has much more. I’m afraid I’ll struggle.

any thoughts from anyone?
Original post by somunkhan
Hi, when did you apply for the course?

I applied about a week ago :smile:
Hi everyone,
looking at everyones replies I haven't seen bradford as a university that anyones applying for ? is anyone interested in the MPAS bradford university course?
Original post by Hazel254

I’ve already had it and just been made an offer! So excited!!
Reply 17
Hi, could someone enlighten me. What unis offer a January 2022 intake and what is their application window? Also, for Sept 2021 entry, does anybody know the application window of unis in the south of UK. Many thanks in advance
Original post by Biomed1106xx
I’ve already had it and just been made an offer! So excited!!

Hi, when did you apply?
Original post by somunkhan
Hi, when did you apply?

I applied 1st December.

Quick Reply

Latest