Time travel is impossible Watch

LastLordofTime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, another thing about time travel ... if you did travel through time, would it not return you to exactly the same place in the past? Like, if the universe was on a 3D grid or something, you'd be in the same co-ordinate, but since the universe is moving you wouldn't end up in the same place on Earth. You'd probably end up floating in space.
thomaskurian89
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by LastLordofTime)
Oh, another thing about time travel ... if you did travel through time, would it not return you to exactly the same place in the past? Like, if the universe was on a 3D grid or something, you'd be in the same co-ordinate, but since the universe is moving you wouldn't end up in the same place on Earth. You'd probably end up floating in space.
let's just assume that the time machine is a device where you enter the coordinates x, y, z, t and push a button..
LastLordofTime
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah, but then you'd have to create some sort of formula to account for spacial drift

Which now sounds like you're going through a stargate ...
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ThePants999)
I've never heard that. What's the theory behind it? Doesn't make sense to me - it'd be like saying that after you've built a car and driven north, you can only drive back as far south as where you built it.
check out the viideo i posted earlier
Robob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mike_P)
Time is something we have invented - proven.
Time is a natural phenomenon, such as gravity - not proven.

If there is no such thing as time, no timescale - we can't either go back or to the future. If...
You're wrong. Time is a dimension, it's not simply an invention.
LastLordofTime
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't be bothered with watching the video, but would it have to be more of a rule than a ... Law of Physics? If you go back too far, how would you get back ... It would all depend on what type of Time-Machine we're talking about. Is it a portal that you walk through, a machine that you ride in, or a magic watch that magically zaps you through time.
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thomaskurian89)
Since no one from the future has ever 'visited' us, I think it is safe to say that time travel will never be possible.
Sorry, but this is a pretty weak argument. All we can say is that no one from the future has ever visited and then gone round shouting "I'm from the future!".
EpsilonZero
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah, but then you'd have to create some sort of formula to account for spacial drift
Just have a seperate node on earth, one which returns the location of node to computers on the time machine. :woo:
royale_sufi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
not that that explains people traveling back in time but the theory is there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRWwI...eature=related
That video was pretty cool. It makes me want to get involved :p: ... its wayyy too confusing though. He says how the future him could send stuff back to himself. What would happen if he decides not to send things back to the past when the time comes that he supposedly sent the stuff back?... Wouldnt that mean that energy is coming from no where because it just appeared - argh this is confuuuuuuusing. :woo:
jennyng2000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
what about that thing where you can only travel back in time as far as the date when the time travel machine was first invented?
or something like that.
then we would but we havent invented it yet so we dont know.
ditto
Robob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
What about thermodynamics?
Want to expand on that?
gozatron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Since no one from the future has ever 'visited' us, I think it is safe to say that time travel will never be possible.
May they have visited us, but nobody has revealed this yet. They kept it a secret for unknown reasons.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by royale_sufi)
That video was pretty cool. It makes me want to get involved :p: ... its wayyy too confusing though. He says how the future him could send stuff back to himself. What would happen if he decides not to send things back to the past when the time comes that he supposedly sent the stuff back?... Wouldnt that mean that energy is coming from no where because it just appeared - argh this is confuuuuuuusing. :woo:
he could send next weeks lotto numbers to himself.
El Doctoré de Mystéro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think you would.

let's just assume that the time machine is a device where you enter the coordinates x, y, z, t and push a button..
Where would you have the origin of these coordinates? The centre of the universe? We are at the centre of the universe, but so is everywhere else.

If you just imagine yourself as staying still and everything else in the universe moving around you, then you won't need to bother with the spacial aspect. Maybe. I'm not sure.
snowyowl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it's likely that anyone would mess up the past if they were to travel back in time.

I mean if you go back, you were there at the time. So whatever you do when you go back, you've already done! So you can't "change" events because events have already been influenced by what you do, since you've done it already.

This made sense to me but will probably be a load of crap to anyone else
thomaskurian89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by snowyowl)
I don't think it's likely that anyone would mess up the past if they were to travel back in time.

I mean if you go back, you were there at the time. So whatever you do when you go back, you've already done! So you can't "change" events because events have already been influenced by what you do, since you've done it already.

This made sense to me but will probably be a load of crap to anyone else
I agree.
jennyng2000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why is it that they will only be able to travel back to the moment they first invent one?
watch donnie darko! worm holes is the answer
(thats not a totally sensible answer by the way)
jennyng2000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im assuming the world will implode soon after time travel is discovred as it would cause many contradicting senarios, causing the universe to implode, causing a new big bang, and off we go again, a new universe, and intelligent beings will always be doomed to destroy their own world when they get scientificly adavance enough to time travel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jennyng2000)
im assuming the world will implode soon after time travel is discovred as it would cause many contradicting senarios, causing the universe to implode, causing a new big bang, and off we go again, a new universe, and intelligent beings will always be doomed to destroy their own world when they get scientificly adavance enough to time travel
what about if when you time travel you end up in another universe then it wont matter what you do because it wont be a paradox.
Mike_P
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Robob)
You're wrong. Time is a dimension, it's not simply an invention.
How can this be proved?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1048)
79.03%
Leave (278)
20.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise