Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    Read about special relativity.

He started off by saying that all inertial (i.e. non accelerating) frames are equivalent, in that there is no difference between moving at a constant velocity and being stationary, since it's all relative. This then implies that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames, and thus that the speed of light is constant in all frames.

The whole of special relativity follows from those axioms. It turns out that time isn't linear as you might think, but is different for different observers. It really is a physical thing that is part of the universe.
    Thanks.

So, we can say that time travel is possible - the question would rather be, will we be able to figure out how to. But our time has no connection with the real time, since its just numbers which we use to describe something.
    And this time, as in this real physical thing, would be like the source code behind space, or 'being', of which would be impossible to reach
    (Original post by MANU90)
    Read about special relativity! the basic theory is that due to energy mass equivilance (e=mc2) it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate a particle to the velocity of light, at which point time stops. As something is approaching the speed of light then time dialates for that object. A good way to think of this is that we devote are 'existence' to travelling through the dimension of time, but that when we move through space at a velocity then we are devoting some of our existence to moving through spatial dimensions, and as a consequence are movement through time dialates and becomes slower. To think that something could move faster than light and therefore travel back in time is beyond our current understanding of physics. To travel forward in time we would have to travel slower than sitting still!
    So, there can't be enough energy to accelerate a particle to that speed, since infinite equals impossible?
    How do we know that time stops at that point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaskurian89)
    then what would they use the first time machine for?

Getting more time machines from the future lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_P)
    Thanks.

So, we can say that time travel is possible - the question would rather be, will we be able to figure out how to. But our time has no connection with the real time, since its just numbers which we use to describe something.
    And this time, as in this real physical thing, would be like the source code behind space, or 'being', of which would be impossible to reach?
    What do you mean the 'real time'. There is no time against which we measure our own time. That's the whole point of relativity, time is malleable.

ReputationRep:
    If we could travel at the speed of light time travel would be very possible.
    We're all 8minutes behind anyway!
    Well..so saysmy physics teacher...

ReputationRep:
    Time travel has happend. It does happen all the time. Only problem is nothing can be "create or destoryed". So whenever someone travels back in time the only way that they can take have live back in time is to "move into" somone elses mind. These are the voices in peoples heads that they hear. And if they are told to do something it is because it will affect the futur for the good. They only travel back in time when it is needed to protect the futur.
    Just my theory anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    What do you mean the 'real time'. There is no time against which we measure our own time. That's the whole point of relativity, time is malleable.
    I get quite confused by this discussion.

But I mean, since you described time as something physical, actual - something being there in the background. Such as gravity, right?

So, when we constructed the measurement of time, though it may vary from culture to culture, we decided that this is year 0, and that this "length" of time is one second. Sixty seconds is one minute. Sixty minutes is one hour.
    Days, years etc.

Would it be fair to say that this is nowhere a physical thing?

ReputationRep:
    Since no one from the future has ever 'visited' us, I think it is safe to say that time travel will never be possible.
    You're assuming that they'd want to visit us. :p: Also, it may be possible but the human race may soon die out never to discover the technology.

Come to think of it, of course time travel is possible. I do it every day. It's half past midnight now, and I'm sure it wasn't not so long ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chooka)
    Time travel has happend. It does happen all the time. Only problem is nothing can be "create or destoryed". So whenever someone travels back in time the only way that they can take have live back in time is to "move into" somone elses mind. These are the voices in peoples heads that they hear. And if they are told to do something it is because it will affect the futur for the good. They only travel back in time when it is needed to protect the futur.
    Just my theory anyway.
    These mind-visitors haven't learned much in that case, have they?
    But I guess that is something which would strenghten your theory a bit, lol, since humans are always alike.

ReputationRep:
    I get quite confused by this discussion.

But I mean, since you described time as something physical, actual - something being there in the background. Such as gravity, right?

So, when we constructed the measurement of time, though it may vary from culture to culture, we decided that this is year 0, and that this "length" of time is one second. Sixty seconds is one minute. Sixty minutes is one hour.
    Days, years etc.

Would it be fair to say that this is nowhere a physical thing?
    Yes we define units for time, but we also do that for distances. Are you also saying positions in space are not physical simply because we need units to define them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    Yes we define units for time, but we also do that for distances. Are you also saying positions in space are not physical simply because we need units to define them?
    But distances are solely measurig - It measures something physical but is not physical itself, whereas time would have to be physical in order to travel in time?

If we have to define something with units? Perhaps
    If we describe something, I guess it's physical, but has not to be right?

But I guess, what does not need to be measured with units?
    A glass of water is enivitably there, but needs to be weighed to be 'defined'.

ReputationRep:
    The world is flat.

ReputationRep:
    These mind-visitors haven't learned much in that case, have they?
    But I guess that is something which would strenghten your theory a bit, lol, since humans are always alike.
    They wouldnt be traveling back as "visitors". They travel back to simpley change the past. But are unable to, cause the peoples whose minds they go into slowly become mental as they think they shouldnt be hearing these voices. When they are voices of the futur.
    "kill your family". The guy goes mental and does do it. And it turns out that his child accidently sets a place on fire and kills 3 people. Turns out that the cure for cancer was just found out by someone in that building but it burnt away so its not found. Guy goes abck in time to try and change the past. Doesnt work.

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking to the OP (Hi!), who made his post 10 hours ago. Technically that's time travel.

ReputationRep:
    Until Capsule Corporation are established you shouldn't expect any progress.

ReputationRep:
    Since no one from the future has ever 'visited' us, I think it is safe to say that time travel will never be possible.
    If you were in the future and could visit the past, is this the era you would choose to visit?

ReputationRep:
    I hope fried chicken still exists in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it's impossible too. Anyone here ever read Gideon the cutpurse? Freaky lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_5)
    Yeah I think it's impossible too. Anyone here ever read Gideon the cutpurse? Freaky lol
    Whats it about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Time viewing is possible if you can travel faster than the speed of light.
    can somebody please explain to me what time viewing is? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Sorry, but this is a pretty weak argument. All we can say is that no one from the future has ever visited and then gone round shouting "I'm from the future!".

They might have but we're took by the Gov.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.