Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellerism)
    Back to the future,.....

FOR GOD SAKE YOU CANT VISIT THE PAST CAUSE YOU MESS UP THE FUTURE

JEZZ!!!!

I agree with this statment, but then again, Im drunk sooooo.

ReputationRep:
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrr time travel is possible, since i have travelled into the future ASWELL as travelling back into the past.

OP you dont know what your talking about. YOU ARE A JOKE

ReputationRep:
    Time travel will be possible. Theres a few problems we've encountered however.

1)Delorean production has stopped.
    2)Flux compacitors aren't fluxing properly.
    3)The government spies on us and kills anyone who is a "Garage Scientist" and has a friend named Marty.
    4)If time travel happens then I think the world will end as we know it. How can anyone constantly die and be born, transform from a man into pre pubescent girl, or go swimming and come out of a lake as a Koala Bear?

Its just too hard to fathom

*Mike walks to kitchen but transforms into a pink flamingo before attempting to open the fridge*

ReputationRep:
    time travel isnt all about moving backward, you could move forward but doesnt necessarily mean you can move back

ReputationRep:
    ha time travel is impossible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tut.exe)
    time travel isnt all about moving backward, you could move forward but doesnt necessarily mean you can move back
    your sig is amazing
    LOL :p: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_P)
    Thanks.

So, we can say that time travel is possible - the question would rather be, will we be able to figure out how to. But our time has no connection with the real time, since its just numbers which we use to describe something.
    And this time, as in this real physical thing, would be like the source code behind space, or 'being', of which would be impossible to reach

So, there can't be enough energy to accelerate a particle to that speed, since infinite equals impossible?
    How do we know that time stops at that point?
    Well the michelson-morley experiment is a good way of proving that time dialates as speeds approach the velocity of light. The equations used for the theory are called the 'lorentz tranformations' which dictate exactly by how much time is dialated, and according to these when the speed of light is reached then time is dialated infinitly, i.e it comes to a stop. You are correct when you say there cannot be enough energy to accelerate a mass to the speed of light. Photons travel at the speed of light because they have no intrinsic mass. Physicists have this system where they class ideas in order of impossibility. Class I ideas being the most plausable and class III considered impossible. Time travel is only a class II possibility, but it is stated explicitly that technology allowing us to time travel is many millions of years away.

ReputationRep:
    the tardis can.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, you could say you're time travelling every time you go on holiday to somewhere with a different time zone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_mercury)
    can somebody please explain to me what time viewing is? thanks
    Looking back into time.

Technically, if we look into space now at a distant galaxy, we are in fact looking into that galaxy's past because of the speed of light and the time it takes for light to get to earth. Similarly, if we're in a distant galaxy far far away and look towards Earth, and we have to technology to do so, we could possibly see dinosaurs.

The theory is that if you can travel faster than the speed of light (impossible according to Einstein's theory of relativity, but just bare with me), then you can move faster than "time". Hence if you travel from earth to a distant galaxy faster than the speed of light, and look back at earth, but it will not be earth in the present, but in the past.

ReputationRep:
    When I was in year 7, there was this really freakishly genius girl and she started telling us all about quantum tunneling and it's application to time travel. In the end the physics teacher took her essay and tried to explain it to a sixth form class. That was just a very odd day.

I do however, like the idea of going back in time to try and save someone's life, only to have them die repeatedly in an influx of final destination style deaths. That'd be pretty awesome once you got past the whole traumatic p.o.v.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think time travel into to the past is possible as you would be able to kill your dad before you are born or whatever.
    I think that maybe if it is possible then you would appear in the past as a kind of ghost and could not directly influence your surroundings but merely view them.
    Also if you could time travel you would think that you would still age, so when you travel back to your current time a split second after you left you could be an old man which doesn't make much sense, unless you reappeared as the age you left in which case you could live forever,
    yea so my unscientific theory that i've just made up lol is that if you were to time travel you would escape the 'space time contiuum' and could merely view the past and future and not influence them, you would still solely exist in the present so it would be like a dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maniachris)
    I don't think time travel into to the past is possible as you would be able to kill your dad before you are born or whatever.
    You can't kill anyone; that's sort of the point. If you killed your father you wouldn't be born. Therefore you wouldn't have been able to go back in time in the first place to kill your father. It's just a paradox. If you did go back and try to kill him, you'd always fail, because you can't change the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaskurian89)
    Since no one from the future has ever 'visited' us, I think it is safe to say that time travel will never be possible.
    Firstly, they may not want to. They may only have need to visit the future.

ANd secondly, I know nothing about it, but I'm sure there will be someone on here who knows about Einsteins theories and that wonderful diagram which shows like a curved "sinkhole" (something to do with gravity or time being curved or something) which shows that theoretically time travel is possible.
    I know nothing about this, hence the waffling. But someone surely understands it. Hopefully someone could explain it to me one day.

ReputationRep:
    Flying isn't possible since we don't have wings.
    Staying under water for long periods of time is impossible becuase there is no air.
    Diving too deep is imossible because of the pressure.
    Flying to the moon is impossible because it's made of cheese.

See how ridiculous simple logic can be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaskurian89)
    Since no one from the future has ever 'visited' us, I think it is safe to say that time travel will never be possible.
    Maybe we're just living in an especially dull era that no-one wants to visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Looking back into time.

Technically, if we look into space now at a distant galaxy, we are in fact looking into that galaxy's past because of the speed of light and the time it takes for light to get to earth. Similarly, if we're in a distant galaxy far far away and look towards Earth, and we have to technology to do so, we could possibly see dinosaurs.
    theoretically isn't video time viewing too? it's observing past events in "real-time" and at least it is similar to the idea that you can't travel back further than the invention of the machine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_mercury)
    theoretically isn't video time viewing too? it's observing past events in "real-time" and at least it is similar to the idea that you can't travel back further than the invention of the machine
    Hmm... I wouldn't say it is. (I'm assuming you mean watching a video on TV?). If you think about it, the original photons that were reflected from the objects in the video aren't the one's you are now seeing, so it's not quite the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Hmm... I wouldn't say it is. (I'm assuming you mean watching a video on TV?). If you think about it, the original photons that were reflected from the objects in the video aren't the one's you are now seeing, so it's not quite the same thing.
    I know what you mean but in my opinion viewing is about perception. i can still see and understand what happened regardless of whether the photons are reflected from an object or projected from a tv screen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    No, I'm from the future, and so's my wife!

</spartacus>
    Not only am I your wife, but

I am your father....

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.