Asrnad
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can i become a dentist or a doctor with level 3 btec applied science? And what universitys offer courses to btec students?
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Asrnad)
Can i become a dentist or a doctor with level 3 btec applied science? And what universitys offer courses to btec students?
Hi,

Yes, it is possible to become a doctor with this BTEC. The only way to do this as an undergraduate student is to complete a foundation year in medicine. Here is a list of the universities that offer the foundation year as well as the entry requirements:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...hools-2021.pdf

On the top of my head, I know that Plymouth University accepts your BTEC

I hope this is helpful!
Asrnad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Hazelly)
Hi,

Yes, it is possible to become a doctor with this BTEC. The only way to do this as an undergraduate student is to complete a foundation year in medicine. Here is a list of the universities that offer the foundation year as well as the entry requirements:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...hools-2021.pdf

On the top of my head, I know that Plymouth University accepts your BTEC

I hope this is helpful!
Thank you soooo much this was so helpful😁
wizardtop
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
AS another student room poster has already stated above, I don't see why you couldn't get into a 6 year medicine degree which includes the foundation year, which as Hazelly has stated above would accept your BTEC applied science course. You would have to make sure when you contacted the relevant medical schools what grades they would require in each applied science subjects/modules as well.Good luck with everything
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by wizardtop)
...I don't see why you couldn't get into a 6 year medicine degree which includes the foundation year...
I can see why... these Medicine with a Foundation Year / Gateway Year courses are not open access - this means that it's not "everyone can apply because they have lower grades / done BTEC instead of A-Levels" etc. These courses are also generally much more competitive than standard undergraduate medicine courses.

Generally you will need to meet certain criteria. Here are a couple of examples:
The Leicester A199 Medicine with a Foundation Year MBChB needs you to live in the East Midlands / meet their widening participation guidelines.
Meanwhile, HYMS's A101 Medicine with a Gateway Year will require you to be a care giver, live in a certain postcode, have received the UCAT bursary and parents have not done higher education (2 of the 4 are required).
Last edited by ecolier; 2 weeks ago
wizardtop
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
I can see why... these Medicine with a Foundation Year / Gateway Year courses are not open access - this means that it's not "everyone can apply because they have lower grades / done BTEC instead of A-Levels" etc. These courses are also generally much more competitive than standard undergraduate medicine courses.

Generally you will need to meet certain criteria. Here are a couple of examples:
The Leicester A199 Medicine with a Foundation Year MBChB needs you to live in the East Midlands / meet their widening participation guidelines.
Meanwhile, HYMS's A101 Medicine with a Gateway Year will require you to be a care giver, live in a certain postcode, have received the UCAT bursary and parents have not done higher education (2 of the 4 are required).
Yes i see what you mean ecolier that means as well as meeting the academic entry requirements of a medicine degree that includes a foundation year some applicants have also have to meet other criteria as well as you state above. I stand corrected. The best advice i could give in that case is to contact the relevant medical schools you are interested in and ask them what other conditions you have to meet as well as the academic criteria that they ask for that way you will be sure whether or not you be eligible to be considered or not.

I also understand that medicine even without a foundation year is very competitive and even more so if you want to apply for the 6 year medicine degree course. I apologize to Asrnad for not mentioning this in my last post as well.
Asrnad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by wizardtop)
AS another student room poster has already stated above, I don't see why you couldn't get into a 6 year medicine degree which includes the foundation year, which as Hazelly has stated above would accept your BTEC applied science course. You would have to make sure when you contacted the relevant medical schools what grades they would require in each applied science subjects/modules as well.Good luck with everything
Thank you very much. I'm just stressing so much waiting for my gcse results. But you've called my nerves 😁
Kerzen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you very much. I'm just stressing so much waiting for my gcse results. But you've called my nerves 😁
Are you going to be doing A Levels, Asrnad?
wizardtop
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You more than welcome Asrnad glad that i could help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (188)
38.6%
Take autumn exams (149)
30.6%
Look for a job (17)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.31%
Take a year out (84)
17.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.75%

Watched Threads