student life at royal Holloway, university of London

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hiya, wondering if theres much to do at royal Holloway in terms of clubs, shopping, places to explore & eat . I've heard Egham is quite dull and not very interesting?..
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The_Lonely_Goatherd
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not best placed to comment, as I'm a commuting postgrad, but yeah: Egham is fairly dull imho. If you want to go clubbing, my understanding is your best bet is to catch the train into Central London. Shopping and eating-wise, it's one train stop (or about a half hour walk) to Staines. Kingston isn't hugely far away either.

Places to explore, my understanding is that there's a direct bus from the main campus to Windsor (to see Windsor Castle) :yep:
decaf-tarantula
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hiya, wondering if theres much to do at royal Holloway in terms of clubs, shopping, places to explore & eat . I've heard Egham is quite dull and not very interesting?..
Hey, I'm a first year going into my second. Egham itself is pretty dull, but you do have a train at the back gate of the uni which can take you to some more interesting places. From personal experience, avoid the bus service like the plague - the campus shuttle busses are okay tho.

Clubs.
There are no nightclubs in Egham aside from the SU and Meds which will get old quickly. There's Atik in Windsor which isnt too far away and theres a shuttle bus that goes from campus to there. There's also a train station thats like a 10 minute walk from the back gate which can take you to London - which obviously has more on.

Shopping.
In the town centre there is a Tesco, Iceland, small M&S, Superdrug, Boots, Opticians, couple of pharmacys, and Burtons (clothes shop). It will get you by day to day, but Staines and Chertsey are a quick train ride away and have much better shops.

Places to Eat.
Theres a few fast food places. There's a few pubs, The Packhorse (SU ran pub), The Happy Man, The Red Lion are all ones I can recommend. Campus has some great places to eat as well, Tommys Kitchen is pretty good (keep an eye out on facebook because they do give away free food). There's also an obnoxious number of cafes on campus for some reason.

Places to Explore.
Nothing really of note in Egham, though it's worth exploring the campus on the first few days you arrive, there are some really beautiful places there.

Hope that helped
Sint
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just finished my second year at RH. There's a list of the uni's clubs ("societies") here: www.su.rhul.ac.uk/societies

There are a few nice restaurants and an ice cream place on the high street but it's not huge, so students tend to get the train to Staines (~5 mins journey) or Waterloo (~50 mins journey) for something to do at the weekend. (Station is ~20 mins walk from campus)

Virginia Water Lake is near campus too, and is very pretty to walk around if that's your kind of thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (144)
37.21%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.27%
Look for a job (13)
3.36%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.39%
Take a year out (67)
17.31%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.46%

Watched Threads