gcse questions from a y9 going to yr10

Watch
closoph
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
okay here we go-

introoo (you can skip but it gives an insight on what advice i’m looking for)

so i am 14 years old and in year 9, going into year 10 this september. i want to be an animator when i grow up.
before you say “ohh your only 14 your too young to worry about this” i get very stressed easily and one thing i do out of nerves is plan ahead, e.g. i have to know exactly what i’m going to do tomorrow or i will cry and i already know what university i want to attend but i think that’s normal??????
year 9s etc have to stay at home to work. i have online voice calls as well as tons of online homework.
my grades average 7-9 but as i’ve been in quarantine i’ve been doing... okay but i personally feel hella dumb as i’ve been feeling very burnt out, just wishing i could go back to school so i can get back on track with learning again

the subjects i took: Fine Art, History, Media Studies, German and core subjects, i haven’t found out whether i’m doing triple science or not, hopefully not, i suck at science

pretty much all of quarantine, i’ve been worrying about GCSE. because of covid i’m terrified that i’m going to do terrible with gcse, i find working at home so difficult because i get distracted easily and i have found it hard learning in voice calls.

i have a few questions,

one: was it easy keeping a hobby(ies) during these years?? i am an animator/ digital artist, that **** takes time and i also chose art gcse, and apparently you get a ton of art work to do, so i don’t know if i’ll have any time to do what i love. so, was it easy to have time to do what you love? and also for anyone who took art gcse, do you get set a ton of art work in year 10, too? time management is literally all i’m worried about, i’m sorted on everything else... also is fine art really that bad-

two: i’m also quite worried about english, like NO i am not prepared to memorise dozens of quotes and poems??? so what made english easy/difficult and what did you do to make it it easier? sites/youtube channels etc you recommend ?

three: maths.. im not going to say much because i’ve just realised how much i’ve been writing so all i need to say is that i easily forget things in this subject. methods i use to remember math equations etc are songs/rhythms but i don’t want my head to be filled with 80 different maths songs, so other ways on how can i easily remember things? this is the same for science so please and thanks xoxo i use mathswatch to revise for maths and i use seneca to revise for science if there’s something better lemme know

last thing!! will covid affect my gcses? i know that current year 10s and 12s have it **** right now but there’s probably going to be a second wave in autumn or something. as i said, working at home has been a nightmare for me and if i have to work at home for year 10 i will lose my will to live

i’m sorry this is so long!! you don’t have to answer all of the questions, one answered question would be super helpful to me.

general tips are also super appreciated!! for example, recommended YT channels and websites. i get stressed so so easily so i know that gcse n a levels is going to be absolute hell for me so if y’all have tips to manage stress, that would be perfect. thank you for reading!!! <3

username4933106
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Q1 - Being in year 10 doesn’t require huge masses of revision just recap the lessons and be sure to make notes as you go along also revise for the small tests and mocks this is key just in case of another pandemic. when you reach y11 then revision should become heavier therefore how much time is spent on hobbies needs to be dropped however it’s only a year and you can have the off days where you do your hobbies there’s no need to work work work all day everyday everyone needs rest.

Q2 Use Mr salles on YouTube he’s honestly such a good teacher another thing this probably doesn’t work for everyone but if you listen to songs of quotes of the poems and plays etc this will help massively one example is Emma Haplin for Jekyll and hyde (if you do the novella)

Q3 I’m not great at maths and 4 I’m unsure of the answers as it’s not certain of a second wave or anything
KEY NOTE IM NOT A STRAIGHT 9 STUDENT BUT THESE ARE JUST THINGS I DID TOO LATE OR TIPS I PICKED UP FROM GCSES IM IN Y11 CURRENTLY AND THERES SO MANY THINGS I WISH I’D CHANGED SO JUST KNOW SOMETHINGS MIGHT NOT BE GREAT ADVICE
gorgonzolaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Q1 - art will take up A LOT of your time, i did graphics art and art + design and can definitely say it made me lose my passion for art however with the right motivation you will enjoy the subject <3 consistency is key! when i was doing gcse we weren't set a lot of work but we had some pretty shite teachers

Q2- when i was doing englit i managed to find a few mark schemes basically telling me exact quotes from my texts and how to analyse them the mark scheme was quite old though also know your text well you can get a good amount of marks when paraphrasing. mr bruff vids work well too. for englang id recommend having an initial story that u get marked and improve on over the 2 years i did this bc i was lazy but it ended up really helping and being reassuring during exams since i had a story i knew was 30/30 and everyone else was planning on just writing a story in the exam.

Q3- can't give much advice on maths since i barely passed but practise papers really do make a perfect grade. getting exam technique down really does help you improve

im currently in year 12 haha i promise you gcses wont feel too terrible in the end they aren't as cut throat as they're described to be <3 with the mindset you have now i'm sure you'll do amazing ps 7-9s in year 9 is AMAZING
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.84%
Okay (109)
28.99%
A bit lacking (140)
37.23%
Not good at all (90)
23.94%

Watched Threads