Confused about this method for finding no real roots

Watch
GogetaORvegito?
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why did they use p^2 / 4 - 4 < 0 to find no real roots? I just applied the discriminant directly to the quadratic equation and got the same answer, can anyone shed some light on this weird alternate method?

I'm looking at Q3b
Attached files
Last edited by GogetaORvegito?; 1 month ago
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
laurawatt
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GogetaORvegito?)
Why did they use p^2 / 4 - 4 < 0 to find no real roots? I just applied the discriminant directly to the quadratic equation and got the same answer, Can anyone shed some light on this weird alternate method?

I'm looking at Q3b
They also did simply apply the discriminant condition.
Otherdjrj
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yh I woulda done p^2 - 16 < 0. Essentially they’ve done that but then just divided everything by 4, hence the first line. Same thing tho
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Otherdjrj)
Yh I woulda done p^2 - 16 < 0. Essentially they’ve done that but then just divided everything by 4, hence the first line. Same thing tho
Yeah kinda weird how they went the extra mile and divided everything by 4
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
They also did simply apply the discriminant condition.
Oh ok lol. They just thew me off by going the extra mile and dividing by 4
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GogetaORvegito?)
Why did they use p^2 / 4 - 4 < 0 to find no real roots? I just applied the discriminant directly to the quadratic equation and got the same answer, can anyone shed some light on this weird alternate method?

I'm looking at Q3b
Because if you do the question in order, part (a) automatically gives you the quantity (p^2/4) - 4 as the constant which the square ,must be equal to. So if this is < 0 you can see immediately that there are no real roots
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
Because if you do the question in order, part (a) automatically gives you the quantity (p^2/4) - 4 as the constant which the square ,must be equal to. So if this is < 0 you can see immediately that there are no real roots
Oh I thought about how maybe the used that and equated that to zero when they put it on the other side of the square. But I just thought why would that be less than zero if the whole equation is different now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (114)
25.85%
Better than expected (92)
20.86%
Worse than expected (235)
53.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise