my anxiety is worse than I thought

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m 17 and I’ve been experiencing chest flutters (not sure if they’re palpitations, i think they’re different) for a few years but they’re becoming more frequent eg many times a day and mainly happens when I think of something im worried about which I’ve been doing for 4 months now. I dont feel like this is due to COVID, I’ve just always worried about my a levels and now they’re closer and closer and I feel like I’m gonna fail, won’t get into uni, won’t get a job, be poor etc. Thinking about this makes my chest hurt and start sweating.

I also work part time and today, I’ve never sweated as much as I did and never felt so anxious at work before so now I think it’s taking over my life literally.

I questioned myself if this was anxiety and I think it is but I didn’t realise how bad it was. I’m constantly worrying to the point where I’m nauseous all the time, my body aches, always need to pee and so much more that I can’t name.

I’m kinda scared. Not sure if I should talk to my manager as it could kinda affect my work but I can’t take time off as we’re short of staff already and I only work once a week with a few covers here and there.

I’ve spoken to my mum about my worries with my a levels but didn’t actually mention the word ‘anxiety’ so not sure if she actually understood me.

I just want all this worrying and anxious feelings to stop.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's worth speaking to your doctor about what you're experiencing. I'm sorry you're struggling so much with the anxiety though, it can be truly hellish to deal with.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah I understand, a friend of mine and I had that, they tried to put me on medication but I declined and decided to try and deal with it myself but it’s not easy. Just comforting knowing your not alone and try and speak to friends. I’d definitely recommend going to the doctors, they said I could get someone professional to talk to or take tablets. You can use that doctor iq app if your doctors isn’t recommending you come in. Much easier
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I’m not a doctor so I’m not diagnosing you by any means, but two years ago I discovered I have anxiety and your symptoms sound very similar. I’m so glad you’re speaking out about it because whether it’s anxiety or not, feeling this way can be really scary and it’s totally normal if those feeling are strengthened by worries about exams and the future. I’m 17 too and honestly terrified for our mock exams next year, let alone the real thing, but if there’s one thing I’ve learnt over lockdown it’s that your mental health should always, always come first!! If you feel comfortable talking to your manager about it then I don’t see why not . This is a lot more common than you think and hopefully they’ll be able to check up on you more often at the very least!! Totally understand the pressure of being understaffed as I worked part-time in this local store, but sometimes in life you have to be selfish and put yourself first, especially when you’re feeling this way, so if it’s getting on top of you and you feel unable to balance both a levels and your job then it’s okay to leave! But ofc if it makes you happy and motivated then continue. I’ve rambled as always, but please please just speak to anyone you trust about this whenever you feel ready, whether it’s your manager, form tutor/teacher, GP, etc because they’ll be more able and more than willing to help . As for your mum, unfortunately parents are like that more often than not because they don’t want to imagine their children experiencing anything challenging or negative, like last year I mentioned to my mum how I felt depressed and she just brushed the idea away over and over again, but that doesn’t mean they don’t love you and they’re not willing to support you. At least if you see your doctor or counsellor, then they’ll be able to truly tell what it is you’re feeling and then you can go from there, and I’m sure once you’re certain then your parents will become more aware of how to help 💞 ever need someone to talk to I’m here, good luck! xx
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
It's worth speaking to your doctor about what you're experiencing. I'm sorry you're struggling so much with the anxiety though, it can be truly hellish to deal with.
Thank you, i'm just really scared talking to my doctor about it as i dont know whats going to happen next
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah I understand, a friend of mine and I had that, they tried to put me on medication but I declined and decided to try and deal with it myself but it’s not easy. Just comforting knowing your not alone and try and speak to friends. I’d definitely recommend going to the doctors, they said I could get someone professional to talk to or take tablets. You can use that doctor iq app if your doctors isn’t recommending you come in. Much easier
Yeah i dont want to go on medication, ive been trying to to deal with this myself but its not working anymore. Thank you
Anonymous #1
Hi! I’m not a doctor so I’m not diagnosing you by any means, but two years ago I discovered I have anxiety and your symptoms sound very similar. I’m so glad you’re speaking out about it because whether it’s anxiety or not, feeling this way can be really scary and it’s totally normal if those feeling are strengthened by worries about exams and the future. I’m 17 too and honestly terrified for our mock exams next year, let alone the real thing, but if there’s one thing I’ve learnt over lockdown it’s that your mental health should always, always come first!! If you feel comfortable talking to your manager about it then I don’t see why not . This is a lot more common than you think and hopefully they’ll be able to check up on you more often at the very least!! Totally understand the pressure of being understaffed as I worked part-time in this local store, but sometimes in life you have to be selfish and put yourself first, especially when you’re feeling this way, so if it’s getting on top of you and you feel unable to balance both a levels and your job then it’s okay to leave! But ofc if it makes you happy and motivated then continue. I’ve rambled as always, but please please just speak to anyone you trust about this whenever you feel ready, whether it’s your manager, form tutor/teacher, GP, etc because they’ll be more able and more than willing to help . As for your mum, unfortunately parents are like that more often than not because they don’t want to imagine their children experiencing anything challenging or negative, like last year I mentioned to my mum how I felt depressed and she just brushed the idea away over and over again, but that doesn’t mean they don’t love you and they’re not willing to support you. At least if you see your doctor or counsellor, then they’ll be able to truly tell what it is you’re feeling and then you can go from there, and I’m sure once you’re certain then your parents will become more aware of how to help 💞 ever need someone to talk to I’m here, good luck! xx
Thank you so much, means so much. Reading this made me cry lol. Just scared to talk to anyone!
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm so sorry that you're having a rough time - it definitely sounds to me like you are experiencing anxiety. Its definitely worth speaking to your GP about this, as they will be able to give you many options to help get things a bit more under control. I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks from about the same age as you, when I began A Levels. Having a good relationship with your GP can be very helpful. I take a beta-blocker called Propranolol to deal with the physical effects of anxiety (shaking, sweating, fast heart rate, palpitations etc) when I need to, which works very well - it may be worth discussing this

Source: final year medical student
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
The only thing I would add is that I didn't start seeing the GP about my mental health until I was in my second year of university - now 5 years later I see my GP regularly for my mental health and just wish that I would have gone sooner!
Anonymous #1
The only thing I would add is that I didn't start seeing the GP about my mental health until I was in my second year of university - now 5 years later I see my GP regularly for my mental health and just wish that I would have gone sooner!
Thank you for this, i'll try my best to see a GP soon, not sure im ready just yet but i'll try
Anonymous #1
Update: I listed all the physical symptoms I was experiencing and had a talk with my mum about it and this time I mentioned “anxiety” and she was quite understanding about it and suggested booking an appointment but I froze when she said that, quite scared of the unknown but a bit better now my mum’s aware.
Next step—> talk to my doctor
babushkac4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Update: I listed all the physical symptoms I was experiencing and had a talk with my mum about it and this time I mentioned “anxiety” and she was quite understanding about it and suggested booking an appointment but I froze when she said that, quite scared of the unknown but a bit better now my mum’s aware.
Next step—> talk to my doctor
Hopefully they get you assigned to a therapist etc and it helps you

With anxiety the worst thing to do is let it bottle up. But what usually does help is frequenlty talking to someone about your worries. And its much easier to open up to a stranger and someone whos a professional in this department. So hopefully therapy helps xx
Anonymous #1
(Original post by babushkac4)
Hopefully they get you assigned to a therapist etc and it helps you

With anxiety the worst thing to do is let it bottle up. But what usually does help is frequenlty talking to someone about your worries. And its much easier to open up to a stranger and someone whos a professional in this department. So hopefully therapy helps xx
Yes hopefully
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Update: I finally spoke to my doctor, they said they weren't going to put me on medication but offered counselling. I'm not really sure how to feel as I don't like talking about my feelings so i just feel like i'll be wasting time.
I also told my teachers just before the summer holidays and they were all so nice but I don't think they expected it at all from me.
I usually work on a saturday with just my manager and i'm not sure if i should mention it to her too because i've all of a sudden become so much mre anxious when working and i'm making silly mistakes due to that
Ugh i really hate this feeling
babushkac4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Update: I finally spoke to my doctor, they said they weren't going to put me on medication but offered counselling. I'm not really sure how to feel as I don't like talking about my feelings so i just feel like i'll be wasting time.
I also told my teachers just before the summer holidays and they were all so nice but I don't think they expected it at all from me.
I usually work on a saturday with just my manager and i'm not sure if i should mention it to her too because i've all of a sudden become so much mre anxious when working and i'm making silly mistakes due to that
Having studied psychology. Therapy / Counselling really does help. And is the only way (other than meds which dont get to the root of the problem) which really helps anxiety. I know talking about yourself may make you uncomfortable at the beginning, but just know this person is here to help you adn they actually can help you and make you feel better.
Anxiety is one of those things that just keeps getting worse and worse espcially if you keep it bottled up inside. So talking to a pofessional will help you undertand your anxiety more. You'll learn about your triggers, why you have it, how it affects you, how you can get better etc. They are here to help you when we can't help ourselves.
So please dont think it'll be a waste of time, it will definetly help. Might take time for you to open up, but when you do you'll feel such a relief and youll feel so much better. So please try it out !! hope you get control over your anxiety, beacuse you are an amazing person and it will get better
babushkac4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also you going to the GP was a huge step so congratss, Im so proud of you and happy for you. Your slowly taking the steps to start feeling better so i love this for you. I know anxiety will always just be this contant thing but this way you can gain control over it and hopefully be amazing
Tayaa8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m 17 and I’ve been experiencing chest flutters (not sure if they’re palpitations, i think they’re different) for a few years but they’re becoming more frequent eg many times a day and mainly happens when I think of something im worried about which I’ve been doing for 4 months now. I dont feel like this is due to COVID, I’ve just always worried about my a levels and now they’re closer and closer and I feel like I’m gonna fail, won’t get into uni, won’t get a job, be poor etc. Thinking about this makes my chest hurt and start sweating.

I also work part time and today, I’ve never sweated as much as I did and never felt so anxious at work before so now I think it’s taking over my life literally.

I questioned myself if this was anxiety and I think it is but I didn’t realise how bad it was. I’m constantly worrying to the point where I’m nauseous all the time, my body aches, always need to pee and so much more that I can’t name.

I’m kinda scared. Not sure if I should talk to my manager as it could kinda affect my work but I can’t take time off as we’re short of staff already and I only work once a week with a few covers here and there.

I’ve spoken to my mum about my worries with my a levels but didn’t actually mention the word ‘anxiety’ so not sure if she actually understood me.

I just want all this worrying and anxious feelings to stop.
i really pray you feel better, God Bless you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tayaa8)
i really pray you feel better, God Bless you
Amen, thank you
Anonymous #1
Having studied psychology. Therapy / Counselling really does help. And is the only way (other than meds which dont get to the root of the problem) which really helps anxiety. I know talking about yourself may make you uncomfortable at the beginning, but just know this person is here to help you adn they actually can help you and make you feel better.
Anxiety is one of those things that just keeps getting worse and worse espcially if you keep it bottled up inside. So talking to a pofessional will help you undertand your anxiety more. You'll learn about your triggers, why you have it, how it affects you, how you can get better etc. They are here to help you when we can't help ourselves.
So please dont think it'll be a waste of time, it will definetly help. Might take time for you to open up, but when you do you'll feel such a relief and youll feel so much better. So please try it out !! hope you get control over your anxiety, beacuse you are an amazing person and it will get better
Also you going to the GP was a huge step so congratss, Im so proud of you and happy for you. Your slowly taking the steps to start feeling better so i love this for you. I know anxiety will always just be this contant thing but this way you can gain control over it and hopefully be amazing
Yeah I have realised anxiety gets worse, i thought i could handle it by bottling it up but wow I was wrong! It's up to me now to self refer myself as my doctor gave me a number to call if i want to book for counselling. Thank you so much for showing you care xoxoxo it really means a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads