FantasyAngel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello! i wanted to ask what other people's opinion on my speech is. i have to present it tomorrow and i'd love to gear other opinions so i can adjust it just before hand. i'd appreciate any comments - although i'm more concerned about flow and the requirements for a distinction rather than punctuation because i'll be presenting this verbally.

"In today’s day and age we have made huge leaps into combating disease and illness. There is no doubt, that in the future we will find eve more ways of combating disorders seen as incurable today – like cancer. We’ve been working towards a cure for decades and we are closer than ever before. We have a better understanding of how these illness work. But one area that has improved quality of life drastically is Vaccinations.

What are vaccinations? They’re a dead or weakened version of a virus or bacteria and introduce it to our bodies in order to let our immune system practice it’s response against this particular virus or bacteria. It has put an end to disease that have killed large portions of societies. Polio, measles, smallpox all of them were a death sentence a few hundred ago but now they’re easily treatable by a 15 minute trip to the doctors – and a 3 hour waiting if you’re lucky but that’s another topic all together. In a country where everyone can afford healthcare more and more people would be getting vaccinations. Right? Well, no. A recent movement called the anti vaxs movement has lead to millions not taking vaccinations and refusing their children vaccinations too. Now, this usually wouldn’t be a problem but unfortunately this movement has gained more support than ever.

Herd immunity is when 60% and above of a population all gain immunity to a disease, it can be from natural selection or the faster vaccination route. Due to people of the anti vaxs movement refusing to take vaccinations this number adds to the small vulnerable percentage of people who can’t the vaccine due to health issues. We need to protect these people – because we healthier people need to ensure herd immunity continues or we’ll have the comebacks of diseases like polio that could kill large groups of people in no time. The suffering that we could bring about by refusing is a terrible destruction.

By having a vaccine, we can resume normal day to day life. As we all currently know due to the ongoing covid_19 outbreak we know how much of a pain it is to socially distance – making sure to that you’re 2 metres away at all times on those small pavements. Washing your hands constantly to the point where i know i’m the only one with dry hands. This isn’t even highlighting how much of a cost this is to the rising unemployment rates, the wrecking of our previously stable economy and the choice between protesting for what you strongly believe in or fearing your safety because no one seems to socially distance anymore. Students around the world left with grades to an exam they didn’t do and or worrying about their exams that might not even happen. All this caused by one illness, imagine going through that again just because people didn’t take a vaccines and choice to believe in The sun rather than peer reviewed medical studies? Covid-19’s pandemic is a warning that a more deadly disease will come do this and worse. We’re dependant on a vaccine to stop this .

Of course, some argue that Vaccinations can cause several health complications. A popular belief among those who willingly abstain from vaccinations is that vaccines cause autism. Why is this such a popular belief? Well, This myth started in 1998, when former U.K. doctor Andrew Wakefield published a study in The Lancet suggesting that autism might be triggered by MMR vaccines. This caused a great deal of controversy and more parents began abstaining from vaccines for their kids. This study has long been discredited when journalists discovered that Wakefield failed to disclose a major conflict of interest: he used it to further his career and own MMR treatment.

Vaccinations are a deeply researched topic, most vaccines that people take have been taken by billions of people globally and we have had yet to find a study saying vaccinations are terrible – aside from fake tabloid news. They improve quality of life for everyone. In a country like the UK, where healthcare is free and a time where they have been tested rigorously we have the resources to keep people alive. Covid_19 is a warning of what could happen if we ignore science."
MattW02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi,

It looks really good I am sure you will do amazingly!! I would just say to not just read from it looking down , but to look up and around and smile. It really does make a difference
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah it sounds great! Maybe change the “didn’t” to a “did not” and the same for the other words you’ve shortened (“they’ve” etc.)
Hope it goes well today!
Moonbow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Looks good, just be careful not to lose impact by spilling off too many words. For example, pause after saying ‘what is a virus?’, so you can give the audience some tension and time to process the information...speaking from experience 😅😂
Good luck! X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.88%
I'm not sure (36)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (247)
30.34%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.89%

Watched Threads