reemqahdan
Badges: 6
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hello everyone. i want to do 4 a levels but i don't know if i could handle it. i'm thinking of doing english literature, geography, economics and psychology. i did english lit and geography for gcse, and got straight 9's the entire year. english lit a level is most likely going to get more challenging, but geography a level is pretty much identical to my gcse course. are these 4 a levels a good combo? is it possible to do well on all of them? i'd love to hear from those who are in the same position as me, and hope to receive advice from those who are doing or have done 4 a levels and how they handled it. thank you!!!

thanks for your help everyone! it has made my decision a lot easier
Last edited by reemqahdan; 1 month ago
Retronomical
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did 4 A levels during year 12 and it was quite difficult to manage. It’s definitely possible to do well in all 4 as long as you keep on top of things and have a well thought out revision plan. Try it out, and if you find it difficult to cope, you can always drop a subject.
Last edited by Retronomical; 1 month ago
Kohayton
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by reemqahdan)
hello everyone. i want to do 4 a levels but i don't know if i could handle it. i'm thinking of doing english literature, geography, economics and phsychology. i did english lit and geography for gcse, and got straight 9's the entire year. english lit a level is most likely going to get more challenging, but geography a level is pretty much identical to my gcse course. are these 4 a levels a good combo? is it possible to do well on all of them? i'd love to hear from those who are in the same position as me, and hope to receive advice from those who are doing or have done 4 a levels and how they handled it. thank you!!!
I would say it is definitely possible, as I have done 4 this year and have done perfectly fine in all of them and plan on continuing doing all four next year. However as you are doing some essay subjects, which although I don’t do them personally I know they are quite a lot of work - so it really depends how much time you want to spend studying. I do Biology, chemistry, physics and maths and wouldn’t say that i spend too much time studying, however I don’t know if the subjects you are taking would require more time. If you are unsure you can always start out doing four and drop one.
NiamhEgypt2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did 4 A levels and it's a high workload, but totally doable if you are well-disciplined and work hard. Maybe go into it with the idea that you might drop one after AS and that will then give you the freedom to see how you go? I found the workload picked up a bit from AS to A2 so that's a factor too. Sounds like you are very smart, so I'm sure you'll be able to do it If you're interested in all 4 areas that will help you.
jasminepanesar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't recommend. Even if you got 9s at GCSE, it doesn't mean you'll be getting As straight away at A Level. The jump is MASSIVE and this was something I did not take into account. I did 4 in year 12 and then dropped it when I went into year 13. It was such a waste of time. No uni even asks for 4 grades. You have a lot of essay subjects, which will take up a lot of time too.
Dechante
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hello everyone. i want to do 4 a levels but i don't know if i could handle it. i'm thinking of doing english literature, geography, economics and phsychology. i did english lit and geography for gcse, and got straight 9's the entire year. english lit a level is most likely going to get more challenging, but geography a level is pretty much identical to my gcse course. are these 4 a levels a good combo? is it possible to do well on all of them? i'd love to hear from those who are in the same position as me, and hope to receive advice from those who are doing or have done 4 a levels and how they handled it. thank you!!!
I took four originally (biology, chem, psych, maths) and had to drop one after four months bc it caused me to have so much anxiety. Universities only look at 3 levels and none ask for four so I personally don't feel the need to do four. Also, AAA is better than AABB. However, if you think you can manage go for it but I would say defo drop one after year 12
NiamhEgypt2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jasminepanesar)
I wouldn't recommend. Even if you got 9s at GCSE, it doesn't mean you'll be getting As straight away at A Level. The jump is MASSIVE and this was something I did not take into account. I did 4 in year 12 and then dropped it when I went into year 13. It was such a waste of time. No uni even asks for 4 grades. You have a lot of essay subjects, which will take up a lot of time too.
Yes this is very true. I was an A* GCSE student, but the jump up was very large for A level and my work took a severe knock in grade for the start of year 12. You have to put in a lot more work than expected and it's good to know that before making the choice.
lg.enigma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm deciding to do 4 a levels but that's only because it wasnt my choice to pick one of them. I'm doing Maths, Psychology, Film studies and Textiles. My dad decided for me to do maths because it's my best subject and he is still hoping for me to become a teacher. If you got straight nines throughout the year you obviously have got a good work ethic. I had 6's and above in all subjects apart from RE and history. This is because I'm not naturally smart and work really hard for kind of decent grades. However I was still told to and advised to take and continue with 4 A-levels
e2002!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did four in year 12 and then dropped one after as we do the real AS exams so this was common at my school. Is this a possibility for you?

I wouldn’t say that i struggled with four in y12 but i will say that i did neglect my fourth subject (history) a bit and did more last minute revision for that compared to my other subjects. That being said i still got an A at AS level.

I wouldn’t really recommend doing 4 A levels all the way through until the end of y13 though as i thought y13 was a lot harder than y12 and tbh unless you’re completely undecided on what to do at uni and so need to do 4 for the variety it’s not really worth it as i’m pretty sure unis don’t really care about you having a fourth A level. And i feel like even if you enjoy them all doing four could take the joy out of it as you would have sooo much to do. All i’m saying is i would rather have three excellent/good a levels than four good/average and i think most unis see it the same way.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, why do you want to do 4? If you want to go to university, you will only need 3, so why add so much work when you just don't need to? Use the extra time to do something extra curricular, or just chill. You're only young once, don't waste your final years of relative freedom just piling extra work onto yourself for no particular reason.

Also think about how things will be when exams come around, with more papers to fit in. When I did my A Levels it was back in the day where everyone took 4 for the first year, and it was a lot of work. I could have done with concentrating on 3.

Secondly, please learn how to spell 'psychology' before you study it. It's not really that difficult to be honest.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do you want to do 4 though? You don't actually say!

The risk of overstretch is real, and consequences profound if it goes wrong. You better have a good reason!
reemqahdan
(Original post by nexttime)

The risk of overstretch is real, and consequences profound if it goes wrong. You better have a good reason!
you're right i should have clarified that i am still unsure about what i would like to study at uni. i want to keep my options open so i thought by choosing more subjects, it would help. i'm leaning towards studying law at university, so i think i might drop geography or economics.
Nautilus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jasminepanesar)
(Original post by nexttime)

I agree with these comments ^^

They are very essay heavy subjects, and psychology has a LOT of content. You will have NEAs to do for geography and English literature. Why not take three subjects and do an EPQ instead if you feel the need to stretch yourself. When universities look at personal statements they will look at what extra curricular stuff you do. If all you are doing is academic study the statement will look rather one dimensional.

Lastly, even Oxbridge only offer on three subjects. Universities are far more interested in students getting three good grades than 4 OK grades. Achieving AAA, with or without a few stars is better than achieving AABB BTW.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you're right i should have clarified that i am still unsure about what i would like to study at uni. i want to keep my options open so i thought by choosing more subjects, it would help. i'm leaning towards studying law at university, so i think i might drop geography or economics.
What uni subjects are you interested in?

As you know, A-level requirements for law are very flexible so that clearly would not necessitate 4.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Possible but I would not recommend it. If two were allied subjects (say Maths and Further Maths) perhaps, but these as noted are essay heavy subjects. A levels are a step up and you need to ensure time for other things as well, and especially breaks from study and proper sleep.
reemqahdan
(Original post by e2002!)
I did four in year 12 and then dropped one after as we do the real AS exams so this was common at my school. Is this a possibility for you?

I wouldn’t say that i struggled with four in y12 but i will say that i did neglect my fourth subject (history) a bit and did more last minute revision for that compared to my other subjects. That being said i still got an A at AS level.

I wouldn’t really recommend doing 4 A levels all the way through until the end of y13 though as i thought y13 was a lot harder than y12 and tbh unless you’re completely undecided on what to do at uni and so need to do 4 for the variety it’s not really worth it as i’m pretty sure unis don’t really care about you having a fourth A level. And i feel like even if you enjoy them all doing four could take the joy out of it as you would have sooo much to do. All i’m saying is i would rather have three excellent/good a levels than four good/average and i think most unis see it the same way.
since i have never studied economics or psychology at school before, i want to see how they are taught, and how much my interest in them is in a school environment. i think if i end up not enjoying a subject, i'll drop it in the first couple of weeks. i'd rather try all 4 and then drop my least favourite after comparing all the teachers and my enjoyment in the first few weeks.
reemqahdan
(Original post by lg.enigma)
I'm deciding to do 4 a levels but that's only because it wasnt my choice to pick one of them. I'm doing Maths, Psychology, Film studies and Textiles. My dad decided for me to do maths because it's my best subject and he is still hoping for me to become a teacher. If you got straight nines throughout the year you obviously have got a good work ethic. I had 6's and above in all subjects apart from RE and history. This is because I'm not naturally smart and work really hard for kind of decent grades. However I was still told to and advised to take and continue with 4 A-levels
good luckkk!!! i'm sure you'll do amazing
lg.enigma
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
good luckkk!!! i'm sure you'll do amazing
Thank you, much appreciated
Nautilus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
since i have never studied economics or psychology at school before, i want to see how they are taught, and how much my interest in them is in a school environment. i think if i end up not enjoying a subject, i'll drop it in the first couple of weeks. i'd rather try all 4 and then drop my least favourite after comparing all the teachers and my enjoyment in the first few weeks.
That is a good plan. A lot of people dropped psychology at my school after a few weeks. The syllabus we did was boring and very content heavy.
Kohayton
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That’s great! Good luck with Y12
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (56)
24.67%
Better than expected (49)
21.59%
Worse than expected (122)
53.74%

Watched Threads